Colony Update here in MA - Page 52
Page 52 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1238

Default Re: Colony Update here in MA

I expect those swarms are varroa driven, be aware if they move into one of your hives, mite bombs.

Purple looestrief now being ignored by bees here, mostly done. Joe Pye and Goldenrod going strong. Not seeing asters yet.

Will start my 3rd round of OAV Wednesday.... I treat all hives in August regardless of mite counts. I find it works well and there is no reason for me to change. My mite counts a couple weeks ago were pretty good. Quit those Carni queens a couple of years ago. Get much better production from my Italians and winter survival is about the same for me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I've started combining hives and adding mouse gaurds. Will be adding robber screens this week. These 50 degree nights are beginning to worry me regarding feeding. Going to start taking some weights and feed as my supers just aren't being filled so I won't be harvesting any more this year.
    Tons of pollen coming in which is a good thing. Orange yellow and beige.
    Terrence

cool nights and warm days make for a good goldenrod flow.

Knotweed just coming into full on bloom right now in Metrowest so I'm thinking of giving supers another week or two. Supers only about 1/3 full. Do you guys here in MA have a traditional cutoff date for supers in the Fall?

Bees busy flying with purpose but still have one weak hive getting robbed, screen on.

I look forward to your advice on Fall super removal suggestions.

I harvested summer honey about a month ago. put them back on and they just don't seem to be filling the supers. They have capped around brood chamber and look to be flying with a purpose and nectar seen but not enough for me to think i'll harvest again. Last year I waited for the goldenrod and when I didn't get it I had to feed. They just never managed to take the feed in time before we got 30 degree temps. I'm seeing 40's on the forecast so i'm erring on the side of caution as I lost just about all of my hives last year. I'm feeding soon to get them up to weight.
    Terrence

Quote Originally Posted by Scitfrostbite View Post
    Knotweed just coming into full on bloom right now in Metrowest so I'm thinking of giving supers another week or two. Supers only about 1/3 full. Do you guys here in MA have a traditional cutoff date for supers in the Fall?

Bees busy flying with purpose but still have one weak hive getting robbed, screen on.

I look forward to your advice on Fall super removal suggestions.
    For me a lot depends on the specific situation I see in each hive/yard.... Hard to do this to a calendar except in the broadest sense as every year/hive/yard is different.... Where I am the main flows appear to be done except for goldenrod.... I have no interest in harvesting goldenrod and leave that for the girls to support the build up to winter weight... This means I pull the supers so that any stores build up will be in the upper deep where it will be best placed for them.... I also need to make sure that the queens laying to support the conversion to winter bees.... This means feeding those hives that don't have eggs/larva.... I have mostly Carni's so if there is no flow the queens often shut down... No supers also helps ensure I don't take a chance with getting adulterated honey... I also need to make sure that the brood nest does not become honey bound so I have to be careful that there is always space available so I check regularly and rotate frames as needed to minimize the chance of late season swarms...

Hopefully this makes sense.... Difficult to put up a hard and fast rule as every situation may be different... A lot of what I try and do is focused on understanding what the girls are trying to do and doing what I can to support that... Right now it is more the need to build up for winter than it is to try and get the last drops of honey.... Hopefully this makes sense.....
    Since '12 Zone 7a 42.25N 71.00W 17H OAV Amitraz
    Seaside Apiaries

Well, yesterday I was treating with the JB. I finished the row of hives and was running the blower to cool it down. Heard 2 loud clicks and the blower quit working. still heats up ok, but this is almost the final straw for me. I have over $500 invested in this with rebuilding, postage, etc. Would have made a good down payment on a vm. Disgusted

sorry to hear that Cam.

Went out to a yard i'm having game trouble with to retrieve some pictures.....didn't have it at the right angle. grrrr
    Anyway amazing amount of activity. Definitely still on a flow. Tons of yellow pollen coming in like it was spring. I'm going to have to check their supers to make sure they are not full. Glad I didn't start feeding yet.

edit. To add to that just checked my home hives. They are drawing comb, laying, and filling with nectar as soon as the cell is partially formed. Not as much pollen as my other yard but some. bees are definitely on a strong flow in southern nh. Doesn't look like i'll be feeding this year. Never saw a stop in brood either this year. Wish this was a splitting year for me and not a rebuilding year. i'd have tons of nucs for spring.
    Last edited by kaizen; 09-05-2017 at 10:59 AM.
    Terrence

Waited for Ron to respond before I did anything. He suggested that I check the fan for obstruction. When I pulled the end off a fan blade had broken off and locked the fan [must have been a defective fan because there was nothing else in there to have caused it. Waiting for word from Ron on next step. Looks like the fan is cemented in and it will be a job to remove and replace.

Sorry to hear Cam... Hopefully they will get it fixed soon... At least it seems like you are getting good support and they are working with you to get the bugs out....
    Seaside Apiaries

Definite feel of fall this last week. Nighttime lows ranged from 51 to 60F and daytime highs from 65 to 76F. 2 days of measurable rain with rainfall for the month (Sept) at 0.14" and YTD at 23.26".

Predominately yellow and orange pollen coming in all yards. Goldenrod is blooming and the occasional patch of knotweed.

3 swarms reported last week.

All yards are losing weight (approx. 7 lbs) with the exception of Needham which had an average gain of 21lbs. Looks like I will need to combine two more hives so will put that on the list to do this weekend. Have decided to abandon the Weymouth yard. Too much maintenance and no honey for the second year in a row.
    Seaside Apiaries

good flow going in all 3 yards... seems like many less asters this year, maybe the drought last year?

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    good flow going in all 3 yards... seems like many less asters this year, maybe the drought last year?
    That's what I've noticed. Where are the asters? I'm thinking it was the drought last summer. Lotta goldenrod tho. Next few days supposed to be 80+ so their nectar should be flowing I think. Still, I put sugar syrup on the hives yesterday.

Hey guys - I messaged awhile back about a failing hive in an outyard. They were really weak and spotty and not the same as the bees next to it. This was July. I inspected once in August and saw my note from July "Weak need feed". In August I decided I need to treat and feed. Well here we are in Sept. I have done none of that. My plan was to move the hives back home for rehab.

I get a call from the yard owner. She says the bees are all over her yard, flying around confused and agitated. Landing on places where there are no flowers. The weak hive is being taken over and robbed out now.

I am going tonight to move them. I have OAV and will treat (this was recommendation of this group in July - :0)

Besides the piss poor beekeeping on my part - any watchout for me that I should consider. Should I shake out the failing hive or paper combine the two hives from that yard?

Lots of variable temps this past week. Nighttime lows ranged from 56 to 66F and daytime highs from 69 to 87F. 4 days of measurable rain with rainfall for the month (Sept) at 0.61" and YTD at 23.73".

Predominately yellow and orange pollen coming in all yards. Goldenrod is blooming and the occasional patch of knotweed.

1 swarm reported last week.

Rockland and Marshfield are showing a light flow with Rockland gaining 6# and Marshfield +3# on average. Needham lost 5# on average. Weymouth is down to one hive as I combined the remaining 2 hives. Will move this hive to another yard and abandon Weymouth as an outyard. This is my hive beetle yard (though not a problem this year) but as a yard it has struggled 2 years in a row so will save myself a commute and focus on my 3 remaining productive yards. Cluster temps are dropping below the brood rearing band (90F) on the production hives that I wasn't feeding so will have to think about feeding those to stimulate brood rearing as we continue to roll through September. Satisfying mite drop in the production hives I treated with OAV last week. Will continue to monitor each week and treat as required. Extracted the supers I pulled last week and put them on the Needham hives to clean up. Triggered a brief spell of robbing but with the entrances all reduced to the minimum opening and generous applications of smoke they soon lost interest.

BTW if you want to check my hive weight/cluster temps at any time you can do it here:
    http://www.beecounted.org/

My hives are the ones in Marshfield, Rockland and Needham. If you click on the associated icon you can see the last update and if you click on an individual hive you can see the hourly trend....
    Seaside Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by nediver View Post
    Hey guys - I messaged awhile back about a failing hive in an outyard. They were really weak and spotty and not the same as the bees next to it. This was July. I inspected once in August and saw my note from July "Weak need feed". In August I decided I need to treat and feed. Well here we are in Sept. I have done none of that. My plan was to move the hives back home for rehab.

I get a call from the yard owner. She says the bees are all over her yard, flying around confused and agitated. Landing on places where there are no flowers. The weak hive is being taken over and robbed out now.

I am going tonight to move them. I have OAV and will treat (this was recommendation of this group in July - :0)

Besides the piss poor beekeeping on my part - any watchout for me that I should consider. Should I shake out the failing hive or paper combine the two hives from that yard?
    Sorry to hear about the robbing... Definitely seems to be the season for that... I would consider combining if the hive is not very strong... Most of the ones I've been combining only have 4 deep frames of bees or so.... At that size am thinking it's a toss up whether they will make it through the winter so will take my losses now... Also gives me an opportunity to get rid of the queens that really don't seem to be up to the task....

As for the mites I would recommend you check ASAP... If you are seeing more than 3% or so you need to treat as soon as possible... This is a critical time as the hives are turning over to winter bees and starting to consolidate for winter... With less brood the mites that have built up all summer will hammer the remaining brood and your hives will be at risk of collapse... Temps are supposed to be pretty good this week so all your treatment options should be available.
    Seaside Apiaries

Is anyone feeding yet besides me?

Loving these bonus 80F days.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbeeInNH View Post
    Is anyone feeding yet besides me?

Loving these bonus 80F days.
    I am in all my smaller hives that are building up for next year.... Most are in the 60-70# range so have a ways to go before winter sets in.... Waited too long last year so am biting the bullet and building those hives now so they can take advantage of the warmer weather to cure... Also feeding my late season nucs to build them up to a decent weight to overwinter... The production hives in two yards still have a shot at a fall flow so have held off on those to avoid contaminating the honey but am thinking unless something picks up I will pull supers and feed them as well....
    Seaside Apiaries

Bob - right there with you on the feeding and the combining.

Will report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob J View Post
    My hives are the ones in Marshfield, Rockland and Needham.
    Bob, lot of useful data on that site. But I do not see any apiary in Rockland. Meanwhile there are 2 apiaries in Needham. Is yours with 4 hives?

Page 52 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast