Colony Update here in MA - Page 55
Page 55 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1238

Default Re: Colony Update here in MA

Quote Originally Posted by NewbeeInNH View Post
    Hmm. Well, never mind, there were bees in the hive but there were also still some spare "honey" (made from sugar syrup from last fall) frames, which is weird because they've been out there all summer, so I guess that's an indication that there were other sources available. Anyway, they didn't look clustered, they looked like opportunists, so I don't believe that was a swarm. There were a bunch of cocoons in there tho, naturally. I scraped those out and now I can't wait till the first hard frost.
    Ah, probably for the best Jessica.... Cocoons are probably wax moths... I would try and freeze the frames or use Xentari to deal with them soon if you want to keep the comb in reasonably good shape....
    Since '12 Zone 7a 42.25N 71.00W 17H OAV Amitraz
    Seaside Apiaries

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, definitely wax moths. I didn't have safe storage for the frames from the deadouts, so I just took chances and left them out there. I could have completely closed off the hives, altho the heat of summer may have melted the wax anyway... Storage is an issue, and storage without wax moths is an issue. What do commercial beeks do with all their equipment in deadouts, I wonder.

Here in the frozen north they won't be a problem until next June after the first hard freeze. Most just stack them. I put a cup of acetic acid at the top of the stack and cover.

Yesterday the bees at my house got into everything. I had an old sugar syrup jug in a trash can that doesn't get used much and they went nuts over it. even chasing me off when I went to investigate the commotion. of course I had to mix up 40 gallons of syrup so that didn't help the chaos. definitely no nectar here. taped up some entrances till I can get the robber screens built tonight. Warm weather coming this week and no nectar are signs the robbing will commence. I actually haven't seen any all year in populated hives due to the constant resource availability.
    Terrence

Roller coaster temp week. Nighttime lows ranged from 48 to 65F and daytime highs from 58 to 88F. 2 days of measurable rain with rainfall for the month (Oct) at 0.50" and YTD at 25.79".

Goldenrod is still blooming and asters. Some yellow and orange pollen still coming in but much reduced from earlier in the season.

No swarms reported last week.

Hive compaction week. Compacted brood in lower deep and compacted honey in upper deep/medium. Removed/swapped out any frames not built out. Removed Apivar from treated hives (@6 weeks). Several hives throwing out drones but two of my strongest still supporting them. Feeding multiple cans of syrup to hives that are not to winter weight.
    Seaside Apiaries

All my hives are super light. I am going to spend a lot on feeding.

I think any fall flow I had was hand/mouth feeding of winter bees. Between that and mite pressures I have concerns for winter survival.

Either I never get a fall flow or my management practices are such that I don't make a lot of fall honey.

DSC_3105edit_1.jpg DSC_3144edit.jpg Nothing left for forage but some Montauk Daisies, got a couple of pics.

Extracted about 2 1/2 gallons from several supers left on honey bound hives. Top deeps on all hives solid honey. Nuc saw a lot of robbing pressure last couple of weeks, feeding brings on robbing, not feeding brings on worries of starvation. Mouse guards on. Will begin weighing hives this week and monitoring weights until cold sets in.

Cool and rainy this week. Nighttime lows ranged from 49 to 63F and daytime highs from 67 to 78F. 4 days of measurable rain with rainfall for the month (Oct) at 0.97" and YTD at 26.26".

Goldenrod is still blooming and asters. Some yellow and orange pollen still coming in.

No swarms reported last week.

Continuing to feed to weight this week. Hives that last week had drones are throwing them out. Had one nuc robbed out and now is a deadout. OAV treated all production hives. Had my first mite bomb of the season in one of my strong production hives. Natural mite drop went from 10 last week to 1000+ this week. Brooding temps have kicked in for almost all hives. I don't know if it was the hive consolidation I did last week or a natural trigger but the girls are definitely in winter prep mode. Had two hives that were very defensive and one stung my wife just over the eye. All I did was remove the entrance reducer to do my OAV and that was all it took to get them to take notice. Will have to be more careful going forward in the future.
    Seaside Apiaries

Bob J: do you quickly back up the Amitraz treatment with OAV. Maybe I misunderstand your treatment schedule as it seems you just pulled the Apivar strips off.

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    Bob J: do you quickly back up the Amitraz treatment with OAV. Maybe I misunderstand your treatment schedule as it seems you just pulled the Apivar strips off.
    I actually am trying to juggle a number of different treatment options that depend on the situation... I use the OAV primarily for a knock down when the mites need it as well as a late season treatment when there is no brood... I used Apivar for those hives that were not production (nucs and requeens) so as not to contaminate the honey... The problem right now is the mite bombs from other hives somewhere out there that are collapsing due to the varroa and I've taken the Apivar off so I'm back to OAV when I seen any signs of this when I do the mite counts. The timing here is difficult as I normally put the Apivar on the beginning of August when the mites start to really take hold but with a 6 week treat cycle means I pull them right about the time I start seeing the bombs. With the current temps MAQS is out plus this is the time of year I want zero risk to my queens... I could go back to do another Apivar treatment but then I would have to take them back out again at the end of November... At this point my hives are in their basic winter configuration and only need the insulated covers/mouse guards added later.... I would like to avoid opening them much after this point as the girls will have them nicely sealed up and I would like to keep it intact as much as possible... Hopefully this helps clarify what I am trying to do....
    Seaside Apiaries

Bob J> thank you for clarifying.
    The October and November time frame is a tricky one here re mites as well. Extended warm fall weather has me paying more attention to the methods used in the lower Mid Atlantic states rather than those in the North Country. Seems like I find myself more and more betwixt zones in the fall, some years a northern fall and some a southern one.
    Long warm fall weather is great for my fall raspberries but not so good for controlling mites.
    Thanks again.

Have you noticed bumblebees sleeping on the berries and other blossoms/leaves? I don't know if their homes are gone or what but they're sleeping all over the place. Maybe they're just getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob J View Post
    The timing here is difficult as I normally put the Apivar on the beginning of August when the mites start to really take hold but with a 6 week treat cycle means I pull them right about the time I start seeing the bombs.
    one thing to watch, I bought two nucs from a commercial outfit this spring for some specific genetics, one nuc crashed shortly after I got it home, I burned it and moved the other nuc to an isolation yard, and checked for mites and diseases. they were loaded with mites, put in apivar and a sticky board, little or no mite fall, so I pulled the apivar and put on apiguard, the mite fall was amazing. The same commercial beeks was complaining about unknown problems with his hives later that year. so if you buy bees, better make sure it's effective.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Some bumbles doing that yes. But many more still flying and on any flower available, especially in the asters.
    Those comatose ones look a little long in the tooth to me so think time is up for them although I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    one thing to watch, I bought two nucs from a commercial outfit this spring for some specific genetics, one nuc crashed shortly after I got it home, I burned it and moved the other nuc to an isolation yard, and checked for mites and diseases. they were loaded with mites, put in apivar and a sticky board, little or no mite fall, so I pulled the apivar and put on apiguard, the mite fall was amazing. The same commercial beeks was complaining about unknown problems with his hives later that year. so if you buy bees, better make sure it's effective.
    Very interesting Mike.... Apivar seems to work fine for me with a sustained mite drop for several weeks after I put it on... I wonder if there was a problem with the Apivar strips he was using? Could also be they weren't positioned in the brood correctly...
    Seaside Apiaries

Checked my 2 hives yesterday and as suspected, they are not going thru anymore syrup, so that's the last of that. Brooding may be over. They're 100% Russians too so they are a little more frugal with stores.

Next step will be quilt boxes, sugar brick placement, and wrapping the hives, when the weather cools a little more. If it cools, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob J View Post
    Very interesting Mike.... Apivar seems to work fine for me with a sustained mite drop for several weeks after I put it on... I wonder if there was a problem with the Apivar strips he was using? Could also be they weren't positioned in the brood correctly...
    no problem with the strips, hadn't expired and it was a nuc put in a 1 deep box hard not to put them in the brood. Since the commercial guy was complaining about problems later this summer with what I would interpret as PMS, my guess is that what ever he was using caused the mites to become resistant to apivar. now my task is to graft off the one queen left, and remove the queen cells to another yard and burn the hive and mites behind me, so they don't get into my other yards.
    mike syracuse ny

Hi Mike, I would think that the genetics were not worth saving if a nuc would succumb to mite pressure. They would bee no more resistant than the rest of the bees around. Just amatraz resistant mites from too much tactic use over the years.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by funwithbees View Post
    Hi Mike, I would think that the genetics were not worth saving if a nuc would succumb to mite pressure. They would bee no more resistant than the rest of the bees around. Just amatraz resistant mites from too much tactic use over the years.
    Nick
    well hard to tell, since their mites were resistant and they were treating with tactic, who knows how good the bees were at fighting mites, the one I burned crashed so fast, I know it wasn't fighting mites at all. let you know next year, when I have enough drones to produce enough to test. hope you had a better year this year.
    mike syracuse ny

Not sure what the virus is, if it is indeed a virus, but all my hives in the home yard collapsed in the last 2 weeks. They had been treated OAV 2 weeks before that. This is the second year this has happened. My other 2 yards are fine [checked today and they got another shot of OAV]. I'm going to burn all the hives here in the yard and start new ones in the spring. Don't know what else to do.

Page 55 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast