Colony Update here in MA - Page 61
Page 61 of 62 FirstFirst ... 115159606162 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1238

Default Re: Colony Update here in MA

My 2 hives are still hanging on... shined a flash light into the access hole in the sugar block shim and could see them on the block, shining the light too long got them curious and they poked thier heads out. Hoping they make it until we see some mid 50s, not sure when... As a side note, was in the Keys last week, flowers about, but not one forager... desolate.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MaineMike View Post
    My 2 hives are still hanging on... shined a flash light into the access hole in the sugar block shim and could see them on the block, shining the light too long got them curious and they poked thier heads out. Hoping they make it until we see some mid 50s, not sure when... As a side note, was in the Keys last week, flowers about, but not one forager... desolate.
    I was in the keys about a month ago and was amazed how much damage there was.... Key West seemed fine but the other keys were pretty much trashed.... Felt bad for those folks....
    Since '12 Zone 7a 42.25N 71.00W 17H OAV Amitraz
    Seaside Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob J View Post
    I was in the keys about a month ago and was amazed how much damage there was.... Key West seemed fine but the other keys were pretty much trashed.... Felt bad for those folks....
    Ya, the ocean side was devastated, especially lower Matecumbe, below Islamorada, some houses built upon garages were blown through. still some appliances on the side of RT1, but strong people ( hardly any natives, most from northern states that run biz down there ) - survivors, one gal told us she wrote her SSN on her arm at the height of Irma so they'd be able to ID her, now thats being scared...

any who.. back to bees...

Good news USDA reports says no Nosema or any disease for that matter. But surprisingly, surviving hives had 3.5 mites per 100 bees. Samples were collected March 1st. They got OAV in Oct and Dec too!

Hives starting to take syrup this week and still working sugar bricks too. New package seems to be braving the cold so far (day 3).

Spotted drones coming and going this weekend here in MA. Isn’t a little early for that? Could they be from my GA package trying to get into overwintered hives? Thoughts?

Spotted maple pollen coming in this weekend too.

My hive of Ga. package bees that I purchased last May made it through a tough winter so far up here. We had 26 below zero
    at one point in DEC/Jan and the bottom entrance was wide open, plus it snowed a total of nine feet. I did eventually put a entrance reducer in it.
    No mite treatments either. I am shocked they survived of course. They went into winter in 2 deeps (8 frame) and 3 full honey supers.
    Looking in recently some were in the top box and put some mountain camp style sugar on paper just in case they get hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by Scitfrostbite View Post
    Spotted drones coming and going this weekend here in MA. Isnít a little early for that? Could they be from my GA package trying to get into overwintered hives? Thoughts?

Spotted maple pollen coming in this weekend too.
    Drones in several of my hives as well when I checked this weekend.... Am thinking we might have an early swarm season.... Reversed boxes and added fondant.... Amazing how fast they are going through it.....
    Seaside Apiaries

Last bits of snow has finally melted in the yard. Package still hanging on and taking warmed syrup and sugar bricks. Overwintered hives building up. I'm worried that overwintered might be thinking swarm prep (drones and cooped up because of cold) but too nervous to open things up yet (below freezing nights, 40s days). This weekend will probably reverse boxes and do first inspection on the package (installed March 27th).

Lesson learned yet? My bees are near large wetlands full of swamp/red maples some of which have already flowered. Looking back at notes and experiences from previous seasons, I think a lot (at least some) of my swarm issues has been because of early nectar bound issues. Each year my late April notes say something like- concerned about deeps already nectar bound... lol. I'm beginning to feel like first dandelion is too late for supers in my yard?

Harvested 5gals of honey out of a triple deep deadout hive!

So much depends on the weather.... Am thinking very little risk to having supers on early this time of year just in case.... Some years it seems that when the weather finally turns warm lots of stuff will suddenly decide to bloom to take advantage of it.... Other years not so much but either way not much down side....
    Seaside Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Scitfrostbite View Post
    Last bits of snow has finally melted in the yard. Package still hanging on and taking warmed syrup and sugar bricks. Overwintered hives building up. I'm worried that overwintered might be thinking swarm prep (drones and cooped up because of cold) but too nervous to open things up yet (below freezing nights, 40s days). This weekend will probably reverse boxes and do first inspection on the package (installed March 27th).
    Lesson learned yet? My bees are near large wetlands full of swamp/red maples some of which have already flowered. Looking back at notes and experiences from previous seasons, I think a lot (at least some) of my swarm issues has been because of early nectar bound issues. Each year my late April notes say something like- concerned about deeps already nectar bound... lol. I'm beginning to feel like first dandelion is too late for supers in my yard?

Harvested 5gals of honey out of a triple deep deadout hive!
    Michael Palmer always says to super early.
    Proverbs 16:24

3 hives all died over the winter. Lots of mites on the dead bees. Shame on me for not monitoring closer and treating more last year. 3 packages installed half hour ago. Go figure the day the packages show up is the day it snows mid April and rains the rest of the day. The rain stopped and it's almost 45 outside so I went ahead and installed. No problems so far. We'll see how it goes this weekend when I check on the queen.

I plan on treating in 7 days with OA band heater vaporizer I built this winter. This should be a good start treating before any brood is capped.

5 packages installed successfully Saturday. Also used the good weather to clean up my dead outs. Had lost all my nucs (6) this past winter and now think it may have been due to Apivar resistant mites. My nuc bottom boards do fit my OAV wand so treated them twice last season with Apivar. Stupidly did not do mite checks and assumed all was well. Deadouts were definitely mite kills with lots of mite frass. IIRC last treatment was late August through September and the nucs at that time were booming. My main hives were treated with OAV and a single treatment with Apivar after removing the honey supers in the summer and fared much better (7 out of 11 alive). Those deadouts appeared to be the usual reasons (starved out and one bad queen (drone layer)) with no sign of mite issues.
    Seaside Apiaries

I treated with OA as planned, no problems. I inspected Friday and found all 3 hives doing well with plenty of eggs, larvae, and capped brood. The bees are bringing in lots of pollen but not much blooming yet for nectar sources. I'm feeding with a super of sugar water stores left over from the winter placed above the inner cover.

I installed the packages on some pretty nasty comb from the dead outs. I'm amazed how quickly the bees cleaned everything up, it all looks perfect now. As soon as the first round of bees start emerging I plan on adding the second box and testing for mites.

Inspected Saturday and everyone is looking good except for one which looks like EFB.... Will treat next weekend.... Packages installed two weeks ago are building up well and lots of pollen/nectar coming in.... Drones are flying so can't imagine swarm season is far off....

Picked up two local nucs yesterday and will be installing this afternoon in my Needham yard. Was an amazing experience picking them up... Beekeeper had an awesome number of very cool and inventive ideas and amazingly strong and healthy hives.
    Seaside Apiaries

Swarm season is officially here in eastern Mass.... First reported swarm in the area.... ;- )
    Seaside Apiaries

Inspections yesterday went well.... Packages are building up quick with a full deep already and just starting on the second deep. Still feeding as they are still building out frames and we haven't hit the flow yet... Am liking the frame feeders better and better... Easy to fill and minimal drowned bees... Several overwintered hives are very strong and am thinking of splitting next week... The one hive showing signs of IAPV seems to have corrected with no sign of shivering/lethargic bees during this weeks inspection... Added Oxytet to the one hive that is showing signs of EFB.... Nucs installed last week have not really started expanding yet so will need to keep an eye on them....
    Seaside Apiaries

Supered up and inspected overwintered and new package hives.... Newly installed Nucs are active and doing well.... Swarm traps are out but nothing yet.... A number of swarms have been reported so we are definitely in the season.... Horse chestnut is blooming but the first big flow for me is usually black locust which isn't showing signs yet.... One overwintered hive is solidly in swarm prep so will need to put on Snelgrove board to see if I can stop it... EFB hive is responding well to Oxytet and looks to be turning around so am keeping my fingers crossed....
    Seaside Apiaries

Change one..... Saw black locust just starting to bloom this morning on my commute down 95..... ;- )
    Seaside Apiaries

I’ve developed a bee allergy and have decided to give up beekeeping, not interested in the risk.

Anyone in Hopkinton area interested in my bees and equipment?

Basically i have a four hive yard. I’ve got two booming double deeps full of bees with supers on (one hive has two of three supers filled). Two other dead out hives fully drawn deeps/partly drawn supers. Everything you would need including bee escapes, snelgrove boards, OAV wand, stainless steel two frame extractor, 5over5 nuc, etc, etc. All of the woodenware is 1-5 yrs old and in excellent shape.

This would be great way for established beek to update some gear and get two healthy hives (one hive Formic Acid treatment completed last week) or this would be a great way for a newbie time warp to ahead a couple of yrs.

I’m looking for a good home for this more than money. But I’m hoping for a small payment to help a little with the sting of giving all this up.

If anyone is interested, let me know.

Hives are getting a new home in Concord. State inspector to inspect the hives before the move.
    The hives are full of nectar. One hive has two of three supers full but not capped. New owner is going to have to swap out some frames to combat building nectar bound concerns, strong flow recently. Going to be heavy moving. I’m thinking I could use bee escape 24 hrs before the hives get picked up to make moving easier.

Page 61 of 62 FirstFirst ... 115159606162 LastLast