Colony Update here in MA - Page 36
Page 36 of 62 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Default Re: Colony Update here in MA

Oh sure cut the part off that said in the evening!! It is funny how much longer it makes the day.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Actually depending on your locale bad advice. Being in Maine probably OK but by April here in MA pollen is too prevalent by that time and the pollen patties will only feed the SHB.
    you have a problem with shb in ma??
    Terrence

Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    I lost 2 strong hives to SHB.... This year will be trying the neverwet shim to see if I can slow them down...

Small Hive Beetle Excluder
    Last edited by Bob J; 03-11-2017 at 06:43 PM.
    Since '12 Zone 7a 42.25N 71.00W 17H OAV Amitraz
    Seaside Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    You will if you feed them. There is no need to feed pollen patties in April here given the amount of pollen being brought. Even if there are a couple days of bad weather at the rate they pack it in the pollen patties are useless unless you like to have an SHB farm. Clyde is wrong.
    Think about it....Buy American

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    You will if you feed them. There is no need to feed pollen patties in April here given the amount of pollen being brought. Even if there are a couple days of bad weather at the rate they pack it in the pollen patties are useless unless you like to have an SHB farm. Clyde is wrong.
    Maybe, but I don't think so. If patties give you shb problems in MA in April the hive is too big for the colony or your putting too much patty in at one time.

When do shb even show themselves in your location? April seems early, no?

I had some beetles last year but not shb. think because too big of an area and not enough bees. they were just hanging out. 2 years I haven't seen any sign of shb yet thankfully.
    Terrence

I'm with Clyde... I see an occasional shb but I think the patties, put on at the right time are very helpful to the colony. I also believe that all packages/nucs should be fed and have patties on them. We often have several days in a row when there is no flight - cold, rain, etc. The hives benefit from the patties those days. Allen Dick has often state that patties, any time of the year, will boost a colony.

Weather continued to be volatile last week with temperatures well below the norm. Nighttime lows ranged from 12 to 47F and daytime highs from 24 to 57F. 2 days were above 50F. Rainfall for the month (Mar) is 0.13" and YTD is 4.54". 1" snowfall last week.

Big storm tomorrow with 12"+ of snow expected in my area and high winds (50mph +). Will make a round of the yards this afternoon and make sure everything is tied down and secure.
    Last edited by Bob J; 03-13-2017 at 07:22 AM.
    Seaside Apiaries

Lets hope this is winters last gasp! Maple blooms are sitting there on the trees just ready for a bee to show up, maybe next week if it warms up to flying temps. Some elms are showing flowers too.
    Got out last week to look things over so all should be secure for my hives tomorrow. 50-60 mph winds blowing snow can move them around a bit on the stands if ice gets under the Bottom board rails for sure. One of these days I'll tie the stand rails together with some cross members to double as stops but I've been saying that for a good long while now and still haven't done it.
    Crab apple buds are swelling and ornamental plums are showing some pink under the bud covers.
    Can only hope this event is short lived, I wouldn't mind if it's all rain at this point!

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    Lets hope this is winters last gasp! Maple blooms are sitting there on the trees just ready for a bee to show up, maybe next week if it warms up to flying temps. Some elms are showing flowers too.
    Got out last week to look things over so all should be secure for my hives tomorrow. 50-60 mph winds blowing snow can move them around a bit on the stands if ice gets under the Bottom board rails for sure. One of these days I'll tie the stand rails together with some cross members to double as stops but I've been saying that for a good long while now and still haven't done it.
    Crab apple buds are swelling and ornamental plums are showing some pink under the bud covers.
    Can only hope this event is short lived, I wouldn't mind if it's all rain at this point!
    I'm with you.... Much of last week was flirting with all time record lows and this week WU predictions don't show any highs out of the 30's and most of the nights in the teens... With the hives brooding, this will certainly be tough on everyone....
    Seaside Apiaries

looking at weather.com I don't have any flying days before april. not a good way to start off the year
    Terrence

Yes, brooding hives with no flying weather and they get light fast. A dozen or so of mine felt light and next trip out to them I'll be carrying some
    sugar and shims with me.
    What has your hive scale been showing with regards to weight loss?

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    Yes, brooding hives with no flying weather and they get light fast. A dozen or so of mine felt light and next trip out to them I'll be carrying some
    sugar and shims with me.
    What has your hive scale been showing with regards to weight loss?
    Average weight loss right now is running around 5# per week.... Roughly double what I was seeing a month ago...
    Seaside Apiaries

Dadgummit, I snowshoed out to the chicken coop, passed the bee yard, and one of my only 3 living hives had the top flipped off from the wind last night. Fortunately there is an inner cover on there, and under that the empty box with just the sugar brick and the shavings pillow on top, I hope that was enough to shield the cluster from that strong, cold, blizzardy wind last night.

Naturally the nine empty hives out there didn't have their covers blown off. It had to be one of the 3 strong still alive ones.

Well, let's hope that's the last of the snow because I just dropped another hundred bucks on the plow guy.

I mean, really. There have been better days than this.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbeeInNH View Post
    Dadgummit, I snowshoed out to the chicken coop, passed the bee yard, and one of my only 3 living hives had the top flipped off from the wind last night. Fortunately there is an inner cover on there, and under that the empty box with just the sugar brick and the shavings pillow on top, I hope that was enough to shield the cluster from that strong, cold, blizzardy wind last night.

Naturally the nine empty hives out there didn't have their covers blown off. It had to be one of the 3 strong ones.

Well, let's hope that's the last of the snow because I just dropped another hundred bucks on the plow guy.

I mean, really. There have been better days than this.
    Sorry to hear this.... Hopefully they will be ok...

Storm wasn't too bad where we are.... Quincy got 7.2", Weymouth 7.0", Marshfield 4.1" and Needham 9.3"... Lots of difference depending on which yard you were in... Wind was tough but it looks like everything made it through intact... Weather report for the weekend is the possibility for more snow.... Looks like March came in like a lamb and is going out like a lion....
    Seaside Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by NewbeeInNH View Post
    Dadgummit, I snowshoed out to the chicken coop, passed the bee yard, and one of my only 3 living hives had the top flipped off from the wind last night. Fortunately there is an inner cover on there
    I fear you will not be the only one to have covers blown off.
    I'm heading out to 'try' and get into the 3 yards where I haven't heard from the farmers yet. No snow to worry about here but it's likely
    the roads in are blocked by downed trees.
    If they are blown over, good bye bees. If the homasote stayed on they have a chance, we'll see.
    70 mph winds can do strange things to stationary objects!
    One winter I'll wake up and run a strap around each one when I check them before Christmas. The straps are cheap enough so that's not the issue, I am.

We have 3 feet of snow here in the Catskills. No wind though.
    Proverbs 16:24

We had about a foot, but the blizzard for about 6 hours was nerve wracking... so glad I didn't take those winter covers off. probably saved some hives.

Just back from my yards... two yards fine, nuc yard a disaster, wraps blown off, nucs scattered and apart and full of snow. May have one survivor. This has been a winter from hell, disease and now this. discouraging. Those nucs were well wrapped, wraps screwed to pallets and yet they blew away. Blizzard was worse than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    We had about a foot, but the blizzard for about 6 hours was nerve wracking... so glad I didn't take those winter covers off. probably saved some hives.
    Some of the old timers in my club say that they don't remove insulation, wraps, et cetera until May 1st.

TP
    Last edited by toekneepea; 03-15-2017 at 04:43 PM.
    There must be a harder way to do that... let me find it for you.

Page 36 of 62 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast