Colony Update here in MA - Page 35
Page 35 of 62 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Default Re: Colony Update here in MA

Quote Originally Posted by NewbeeInNH View Post
    Scary material.

We all know this but it never hurts to hear it again:

"Viruses persist in normal, healthy colonies, only to explode during times of stress. Many viruses are only damaging when in combination with another stressor like Varroa or Nosema. Active, integrated management of Varroa and other stressors is essential to minimizing virus titers."
    Very true.... Also a lot of good work going on that links outbreaks to poor nutrition, particularly associated with the availability of local pollen... Really makes sense if you think about it.... We all know that a healthy diet is a always key aspect of staying healthy.... Doug Somerville's great work on the subject "Fat Bees Skinny Bees - a manual on honey bee nutrition for beekeepers" is worth a look if you get a chance....

Fat Bees Skinny Bees - a manual on honey bee nutrition for beekeepers
    Since '12 Zone 7a 42.25N 71.00W 17H OAV Amitraz
    Seaside Apiaries

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I'm consistently seeing 3 colonies flying around in warmer spells, so that's good. All 3 look strong. From those "survivors" I hope to create another few hives and queens, we'll see.

We have another brutal bout of weather coming this weekend - Sat. will be high of 14F and low of 2F. It's not the -10 we had last March thank goodness, but I'm still worried about the fruit trees. The local peach farm had no peaches last year due to the spring frost and I'd hate to see that happen again. Any reports from other nearby areas?
    Hi Newbie, I am in the western Catskills NY; our area here has not shown any early budding, but the Cooperstown area has. I am keeping my fingers crossed, too; last year no apples or pears. My hives are flying on the warmer days, I started putting out dry pollen on thosedays and keep water there too.
    Proverbs 16:24

That's what I've been suspecting, that the low nectar issues stressed my bees to the point of making them susceptible to the viral issues in a way that they haven't been in the five years I've been keeping bees. This summer I will be keeping a closer eye on their food stores especially if weather patterns stay unfriendly.

Looks like winter is returning its suppose to be below zero overnight this weekend up my way. And we may not get into the 30's again till Friday. This weather makes March feel like the longest month of the year! At least we get an extra hour of daylight in the evening starting this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by NHCOR View Post
    Looks like winter is returning its suppose to be below zero overnight this weekend up my way. And we may not get into the 30's again till Friday. This weather makes March feel like the longest month of the year! At least we get an extra hour of daylight in the evening starting this weekend.
    Which is exactly why I discourage beekeepers from putting patties on so early. There will be some pinned bees to brood and frozen.

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    Which is exactly why I discourage beekeepers from putting patties on so early. There will be some pinned bees to brood and frozen.
    Luckily I haven't put any pollen patties on yet and at this point I'm just going to wait till April before I add them. The first half of March has been a roller coaster weather wise, but hopefully the second half will be a bit more stable and warm up gradually

One would hope. 8-12" forecasted for Tuesday and I'm losing faith.

One would hope. 8-12" forecasted for Tuesday and I'm losing faith.
    oh man I missed that when I looked at the forecast! Now I'm really depressed.

Oops! Sorry. Maybe they're wrong.

Luckily I haven't put any pollen patties on yet and at this point I'm just going to wait till April before I add them. The first half of March has been a roller coaster weather wise, but hopefully the second half will be a bit more stable and warm up gradually
    I'm in the same camp. I am going to wait! The weather this time of year can be very fickle.
    I would love to time it right and get two to three brood cycles before the spring flow. I am looking for quick build up this spring as I am going to be making a lot of splits this season.

Heard back from the Mass Chief Apiary Inspector on the reported IAPV outbreak:

Hi Bob,
    To answer your question: IAPV was detected as part of bee samples taken from colonies in Worcester and Harwich. Please note that not all the bees from these samples were found to be infected with IAPV.

A little background on IAPV. It was discovered in Israel in 2004 and prematurely and wrongly thought to be a major cause of CCD (Cox-Foster et al., 2007). The virus may infect all stages and castes of honey bees. The parasitic mite, Varroa destructor, is an active vector of this virus as well as many others, thus the best method to prevent associated infections is to create an intensive IPM program for Varroa mite control in all honey bee colonies within an apiary. The effects of IAPV include progressive paralysis, weakening and death. This mainly occurs in colonies during the Summer/Fall when the Varroa mite levels are at their peak along with the colony population (brood) levels. In addition to feeding from Varroa mites, IAPV is also transmitted vertically from the queen to progeny. Given this, you could also consider re-queening a colony immediately if you suspect infection of this virus.

The best method to combat IAPV (and foster overall healthy honey bees) is to practice good husbandry and best management practices (see the Mass Beekeepers document for more info: http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/agr/pro...p/bee-bmps.pdf) and perform IPM protocols to manage for Varroa mites. I have attached a brochure that we created to assist beekeepers in making good decisions about Varroa mite control. Please review and consider sampling your colony monthly to determine your mite level and then consider the available treatment options for further action.
    Seaside Apiaries

Thanks Bob, could be the reason so many hives died in NE. Weakened by the virus, mite bombs and gone

Quote Originally Posted by Bob J View Post
    Heard back from the Mass Chief Apiary Inspector on the reported IAPV outbreak:
    Okay, so how common is this virus, and should we all be concerned if it was found in your yards? I'm wondering how significant this finding is.

Actually depending on your locale bad advice. Being in Maine probably OK but by April here in MA pollen is too prevalent by that time and the pollen patties will only feed the SHB.
    Think about it....Buy American

I haven't observed any pollen coming in yet I'm in central NH (Gilmanton). Im not trying to give any advice Im a first year beekeeper just stating what I'm up to. Thanks for the info I'm on here to learn and share what I'm experiencing.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Actually depending on your locale bad advice. Being in Maine probably OK but by April here in MA pollen is too prevalent by that time and the pollen patties will only feed the SHB.
    they'll take them during adverse spring weather conditions when they can't fly and during the night time hours. they are perfect supplements during early erratic spring weather. a week of rain or cool temps and a patty will be gone.
    I don't see it as bad advice at all.

Okay, so how common is this virus, and should we all be concerned if it was found in your yards? I'm wondering how significant this finding is.
    Not that common but certainly worth keeping an eye out for symptoms.... Dead and lethargic bees in front of the hive are the most obvious.... Some bees could be black and hairless... If you see symptoms I would send samples for testing... As Kim mentioned the primary vector is varroa so if you keep them under control you should be ok...
    Seaside Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    they'll take them during adverse spring weather conditions when they can't fly and during the night time hours. they are perfect supplements during early erratic spring weather. a week of rain or cool temps and a patty will be gone.
    I don't see it as bad advice at all.
    I agree

At least we get an extra hour of daylight...
    Old injun say "Only white man cut a foot off top of blanket, sew it on bottom of blanket, and claim he got a longer blanket."
    If you want to be successful, study successful people and do what they do.
    Zone 4a/b

I haven't observed any pollen coming in yet I'm in central NH (Gilmanton). Im not trying to give any advice Im a first year beekeeper just stating what I'm up to. Thanks for the info I'm on here to learn and share what I'm experiencing.
    its going to be interesting to see what your area is like. a few of us in southern nh seem to experience the same swath of things but i'm betting you'll be vastly different at the foot of the mountains.
    Terrence

Page 35 of 62 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast