Colony Update here in MA - Page 27
Page 27 of 62 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Default Re: Colony Update here in MA

Yeah, I've seen it before. 2011. So dry the ground cracked in my mating yard. Enough bees in the mating nucs to take down their winter feed in Sept/Oct. Weak in November. 99% of mating nucs dead in spring. Overwintered 4x4 nucs saved the day as I was able to restock all the mating nucs and get things going again.

It happens.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    What's up with that? We've hardly had a winter yet. Drought causing reduced brood rearing that got eaten up by varroa?
    that's my thought. I spent way too much time playing with the JB700 and not really tending to business. I don't believe the JB put out enough vapor to be effective. I'm hopeful that the shop towel glycerine/oxalic will work better. I'm also switching to OA in the spring and 'traz in the fall. Since i leave the goldenrod [if we have some next year] on for winter feed, it shouldn't be a problem and I have had good success with it. I'll use the JB on nucs but large hives will be treated with other methods. Also didn't start feeding early enough - losses are all beekeeper error IMO

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    that's my thought. I spent way too much time playing with the JB700 and not really tending to business. I don't believe the JB put out enough vapor to be effective.
    After cleaning the gun, I think entirely to much of the acid, recrystallizes in the gun. Did adding/replacing the part they sent you the part with two holes in it that should stop the acid from going into the back of the gun help any? I didn't get mine in until after we used it. I also think the heater turning off doesn't help with timing the amount per hive. We got mite drops onto sticky boards but not as much as I would have expected, and never got back due to a couple of big snow storms.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Did adding/replacing the part they sent you the part with two holes in it that should stop the acid from going into the back of the gun help any?
    seems to have

I also think the heater turning off doesn't help with timing the amount per hive.
    I'm going to move the thermostat to the side like others have done. That might help... I agree, turning off the heater is a drag. I'm only going to use this on nucs from now on.

With gallon cans on shims on the top bars, surrounded by an empty body, the feeders are in contact with the cluster. The bees warm the syrup and take it quickly. You can feed up to 5 gallons at once and all but weak colonies will take down that much in a week.
    Can anyone explain the refilling process of one gallon paint cans? I've searched the forum and found reference to a screen and plug but I was hoping for a picture (I'm more a visual learner)
    It would help to see how it's installed.

Just pop the lid, pour in the syrup and put the lid back on [tight]

OK, thanks. I guess I'm just over thinking things or miss understood what I read.

Mr Palmer we have maple pollen coming in and early Titi starting to open up down in southeastern GA, this is a typical frame of brood in the photo, most colonies are averaging 4 frames brood.
    Mike there is still time, if you are not snowed in to haul all your nucs down here we can split them up real good, you go home with double the number and I can sell off several hundred extra nucs by the first week in May.
    Can I send a truck up?? Haha!!

Andy Reseska
    Boston Honey Company Inc
    Holliston MA

ATTACH=CONFIG]29885[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by goldenmeadowhoney View Post
    Can I send a truck up?? Haha!!

Andy Reseska
    Boston Honey Company Inc
    Holliston MA
    In your dreams

I'm going to be bringing in some Ferguson Buckfast Queens this June. Queens sell for 40.00 The customs charge is around 100 and then there is shipping on top of that. The customs charge is for the package so we can buy 1 or 100 and the fee will still be 100.

I'm looking to purchase 5 or 6.

Does anyone want in on this? Group Purchase?

I'm in Franklin Ma. I can accept the order and Divi out from Franklin. We can discuss the payment plan here or on a group chat.

Thoughts? Input? Should we just do a group purchase from Michael Palmer? I'll make the run

Archie

Every year a few folks talk about buying Ferguson's queens and I wait to hear some feedback. I never seem to hear anything about them. And it's been several years.

I'd put my money on Michael Palmers queens if you're looking for that kind of lineage.
    Lauri Miller.
    Carniolan Hybrids. Glenn, Latshaw & Wild lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri View Post
    Every year a few folks talk about buying Ferguson's queens and I wait to hear some feedback. I never seem to hear anything about them. And it's been several years.

I'd put my money on Michael Palmers queens if you're looking for that kind of lineage.
    Well I can attest to this. I inherited a apiary with 2 green dot MP Queens that I grafted off of last year. They are overwintering nicely. Very gentle Bees.

Thats why I threw it out their.

+1 on Michael's genetics.... Mine have been productive, gentle and overwinter well....
    Since '12 Zone 7a 42.25N 71.00W 17H OAV Amitraz
    Seaside Apiaries

Last week nighttime lows ranging from 15 to 41F and daytime highs from 24 to 48F. Rainfall for the month (January) is 0.9" and snowfall last week was 8".

Good to see the occasional warmer days giving the girls a chance to get out....;- )
    Since '12 Zone 7a 42.25N 71.00W 17H OAV Amitraz
    Seaside Apiaries

In your dreams
    MP

I have had one of Andy's Danish Buckfast nucs for a few years now and i'm using your 2 deep and 1 medium box setup for it. Its my best hive you may want to send a truck down instead
    Think about it....Buy American

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    MP you may want to send a truck down instead

Hit 50 up here so I went out to add sugar and do an oav. Even though a couple were not flying they all looked decent. Not much of the additional feed I added at thanksgiving were eaten. As I give them top entrances I took off the mouse gaurds and scooped out the dead before doing the oav.
    Terrence

60 degrees in Metrowest right now, took a walk back to the hives, pleasantly surprised by level of activity in hives. Zero degrees four days ago on Monday night.
    Snapseed (4).jpg

Yesterday, all seven of my hives were out flying. It got up to 45 degrees, but in the morning sun, it was warmer. Today, it is 49, but raining. So everyone is inside playing scrabble and munching on the sugar bricks.

Ok Lairi and Michael,

For 2 days now my mind has been trying to figure out what the secrete is about Michael's bees and the Canadian Buckfast connection. Please tolerate this very short "off subject" bit for just a moment. Last year I tried to order queens from Michael Palmer but I was too late and he was sold out. I have talked to Mary Fergason just recently about purchasing queens this next spring. Michael declined to discuss "buckfast with the folks in Great Britten" and so I assumed he wasn't a fan of Brother Adams bees. I know this is not exactly the proper thread to bring this up but I am going into a mild psychosis. The cost is not really a big issue with me, just need some clarification from the "bee shrinks."

Thank you for tolerating me, still. LP

Page 27 of 62 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast