Bee Sting for Knee Pain
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bee Sting for Knee Pain

Started doing some running and started having pain in the inner aspect of my knee and was very sensitive to touch. Stopped running and it was still really sore so decided to give myself a bee sting to the sore area. Well my leg really swelled up but the pain did decrease to the area. After four days the swelling has gone down and there is still minor discomfort to the area. I was thinking of giving my knee another treatment. Any comments?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bee Sting for Knee Pain

My dad was involved in an explosion at work years ago. Besides being pretty badly burned, the explosion also knocked him down off of a platform about 14' up in the air. He has a chipped vertebrae in his neck and had a separated shoulder as well. And since then he has had horrible tendinitis in his right arm. So bad at times that he can't lift his arm up above his shoulder.

Last year he (purposefully) took a single sting right in the elbow. I administered it at his request. He came by for a couple more through the summer and the problem hasn't flared back up. It's fully anecdotal, but if you saw how he was before the sting and how he was a few days later... it was surprising. He and my grandpa used to keep bees in the mid-70s until varroa. They'd take bees over and sting my great grandma, who had arthritis. She swore by it.

Stings have never worked for me.

I guess it depends on a lot of factors. I have a family friend whose wife will self treat her arthritis with bee stings every so often. She even asked me to bring one into church one evening for a treatment. LOL. She swears by it. Another buddy of mine threw his back out. He had his son (who was very willing, hehe) give him a couple treatments. He said it seemed to help a little, but not as much as he would of liked. Therefore, YMMV.

As for the OP's knee, go for another treatment. Can't hurt any......well maybe a little, hehe.
    Central PA - Zone 5B "The whole system is based on thievery....." ~ John Pine

Try Egoscue.
    Save me tons on chiropractor since I started it. No more pain. Running is not an issue anymore.

Keven Inglin does a podcast called Beekeepers Corner and he had a bonus edition with a person who does apitherapy. Here is a link to the video or audio...

http://www.bkcorner.org/?p=569

I would recommend you all go to your doctor and have your head examined! Or next time your knee hurts smash your hand with a hammer. won't notice the knee at all!

Now don't get in an uproar. Only Joking

My 89 year old mother said `` Bist du verrickt?`` (Are you crazy in German) when I offered to give her a treatment but my knee is better and plan to do the next injection (sting) tomorrow. Wish me luck and I do have an eppi pen.

WHAT! That would not go over well with my wife, whats wrong honey you have back pain? Wait here Im going to go grab a few bees and have them sting you, no its fine all the beekers do it!

Lol just kidding have never heard of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Pun View Post
    Started doing some running and started having pain in the inner aspect of my knee and was very sensitive to touch. Stopped running and it was still really sore so decided to give myself a bee sting to the sore area. Well my leg really swelled up but the pain did decrease to the area. After four days the swelling has gone down and there is still minor discomfort to the area. I was thinking of giving my knee another treatment. Any comments?
    Prolotherapy

You all sound crazy!

"Oh yah Doc, my back pain is gone for good this time."
    "Good, what did you do to stop it?"
    "I got stung by a bee."

However . . . if it works for you, go ahead, but I do not want any part of it.

LOL you beeks. We might be crazy...but if it works it works right? Let me put on my google search hat and see what we can find......

Ok. Now take this is a grain of salt because I'm not a doctor...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night so here we go!

"Also known as apitherapy, the technique is more widely used in Eastern Europe, Asia and South America"

"Most the 40 ingredients in bee venom have been identified," says Cohen. "Mellitin, an anti-inflammatory agent found in the venom, is one hundred times stronger than cortisone." Cool...didn't know that.

"Bee venom also contains a substance known as adolapin, which is both anti-inflammatory and pain-blocking. Practitioners believe all the ingredients in bee venom work together to cause the body to release more natural healing compounds in its own defense. Bee venom is also said to increase blood circulation and reduce swelling.
    ""Fifty-eight percent had a very positive response and got significantly better," says Hauser. "But 30 percent had no benefit, and one patient got worse."

The patients who improved could walk and climb stairs better and had better bowel and bladder control, as well as more control over the activities of daily living.

The downside, according to experts, is that some patients can't endure the injections or bee stings. Says Hauser, "I've had patients who did very well with bee venom therapy but found the injections too painful."

That last part sounds like me when I had the bright idea to "check my hive real fast" last year and got lit up. That is when I learned what robbing is and you really should have your gear when that is going down. Man that was a crappy day. lol.
    Central PA - Zone 5B "The whole system is based on thievery....." ~ John Pine

I use bee venom therapy quite often for my arthritis. Usually one or two stings to my knee have me set for many weeks. I love it and it keeps me off my arthritis meds.

I have a facebook group for Apitherapy for some of you skeptics
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/apitherapy/files/

My FIL would catch hornets by the wings with his pliers and let them sting his elbow multiple times. He said it helped his arthritis. I always wondered if the pain from the stings over-rode the pain of the arthritis and he didn't notice the art.
    Last edited by Tim KS; 03-18-2016 at 09:32 AM.

Hang with me for a minute. I have never been into alternative medicine. I'm sure there are natural things that work great for certain things, but I think most of the alternative things truly have a placebo effect.

I have a background in science and that perhaps makes me more skeptical than others when it comes to things like this. I suppose, due to the heavy dose of science, I am a researcher. When I take on a new task I research it. I read anything I can get my hands on, and the Internet has greatly increased the amount of information at my disposal.

While reading online about honeybees, it's hard not to run into information about bee venom therapy. I was very skeptical about it.

I have problems with both shoulders. I have a partially torn labrum in both of them. I also have bone spurs in my right shoulder. Two springs ago, my right shoulder had been hurting bad enough for long enough that I went to see a orthopedic surgeon about it. He told me I was definitely a candidate for surgery and gave me a cortisone shot to see if it would help. It worked great for about 5 days then the pain was back same as before. That's when I decided to try bee venom therapy. After all, it wouldn't cost anything and as a beekeeper who hates gloves, I get stung plenty often enough to know that I have no complications from stings.

I poked around on my shoulder to try and find the pinpoint areas where the pain was the worst. I took a black sharpie marker and marked each area. The first time, I took 5 stings. The next day I took 3 and the next day 2. After about 4 days I had no shoulder pain at all. I noticed it most profoundly when I woke up in the mornings. No pain. I was amazed. That lasted about 2 months. The next time I only took 3 stings the first day and one the next. After that round I had no shoulder pain for 6 months. I have been doing this for 2 full years now and every time my shoulder starts hurting it only takes a few stings to completely stop the pain. I guess it was mid summer last year when I last stung my shoulder and that lasted until about mid January. Late February on a nice warm day I caught 3 bees and stung my shoulder on the pinpoint areas and it's all good now.

I'm still not convinced that most alternative medicines aren't mostly smoke and mirrors but for me bee venom therapy has been an absolute success. It's hard for me to imagine that it could be a placebo effect, because I have not once woke up at night in pain which was a daily experience before I tried the BVT.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

Quote Originally Posted by CW Finnerty View Post
    You all sound crazy!

"Oh yah Doc, my back pain is gone for good this time."
    "Good, what did you do to stop it?"
    "I got stung by a bee."

However . . . if it works for you, go ahead, but I do not want any part of it.

I seriously pulled some muscles in my back last summer lumping a cast iron sink out of the countertop that still had the garbage disposal attached. The next morning I could not get out of bed or stand completly erect nor put my house slippers on by hand. The last time I hurt my back this badly I was down for about 3.5 weeks. I sent the 8 yr old out to the hives to get a jar full of bees and had my wife sting me in 5 spots on my spine. within 20 min I was able to stand up fully and also able to touch my toes. By the end of the day, I felt great and the next morning I popped out of bed like I was 20 yrs old again, been using bee stings for pain every sense. I also have a 4 yr old daughter with rhumatoid arthritis and she gets knots on her wrist that last for months the last time she got one she was sick and was unable to take her chemo that week. I iced it so the sting wouldn't hurt and administered a sting to the knot and her wrist swelled up like a balloon for a few days. When the swelling was down the knot was gone. So yall can call me crazy, heck call me anything you want but late for dinner, but this ol boy believes in BVT

So how do you catch the bees out of the jar without getting stung on the hand or one getting loose in the house? I think I have heard of putting them in the frig for a little while to slow them down. If so how long do you put them in there?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bee View Post
    Hang with me for a minute. I have never been into alternative medicine. I'm sure there are natural things that work great for certain things, but I think most of the alternative things truly have a placebo effect.

I have a background in science and that perhaps makes me more skeptical than others when it comes to things like this. I suppose, due to the heavy dose of science, I am a researcher. When I take on a new task I research it. I read anything I can get my hands on, and the Internet has greatly increased the amount of information at my disposal.

While reading online about honeybees, it's hard not to run into information about bee venom therapy. I was very skeptical about it.

I have problems with both shoulders. I have a partially torn labrum in both of them. I also have bone spurs in my right shoulder. Two springs ago, my right shoulder had been hurting bad enough for long enough that I went to see a orthopedic surgeon about it. He told me I was definitely a candidate for surgery and gave me a cortisone shot to see if it would help. It worked great for about 5 days then the pain was back same as before. That's when I decided to try bee venom therapy. After all, it wouldn't cost anything and as a beekeeper who hates gloves, I get stung plenty often enough to know that I have no complications from stings.

I poked around on my shoulder to try and find the pinpoint areas where the pain was the worst. I took a black sharpie marker and marked each area. The first time, I took 5 stings. The next day I took 3 and the next day 2. After about 4 days I had no shoulder pain at all. I noticed it most profoundly when I woke up in the mornings. No pain. I was amazed. That lasted about 2 months. The next time I only took 3 stings the first day and one the next. After that round I had no shoulder pain for 6 months. I have been doing this for 2 full years now and every time my shoulder starts hurting it only takes a few stings to completely stop the pain. I guess it was mid summer last year when I last stung my shoulder and that lasted until about mid January. Late February on a nice warm day I caught 3 bees and stung my shoulder on the pinpoint areas and it's all good now.

I'm still not convinced that most alternative medicines aren't mostly smoke and mirrors but for me bee venom therapy has been an absolute success. It's hard for me to imagine that it could be a placebo effect, because I have not once woke up at night in pain which was a daily experience before I tried the BVT.

My daughters rheumatologist ( one of the best pediatric Rheumies in the nation ) Told me by law she can't prescribe BVT but she told me in the case of my daughters arthritis since its an autoimmune disease, her body doesn't recognize that it's attacking it's self so there is no cortisone dump produced by her body to battle the inflammation and a sting to the area triggers the cortisone dump and while it is working on the inflammation of the bee sting it also works on the inflammation of the arthritis. I'm not the scientific type but this made sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Gough View Post
    So how do you catch the bees out of the jar without getting stung on the hand or one getting loose in the house? I think I have heard of putting them in the frig for a little while to slow them down. If so how long do you put them in there?
    I have nucs with round entrances, kid suits up puts the jar over the hole and slaps the side of the box. Bees fly out and she screws on the screened lid. You can either mist them with water through the screen so they can't fly, or like you said I like to put them in the fridge after about 5-10 they are crawling very slow, If I just need one or two I go out and snag one off the landing board with the tweezers. Reverse tweezers work great.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    I have nucs with round entrances, kid suits up puts the jar over the hole and slaps the side of the box. Bees fly out and she screws on the screened lid. You can either mist them with water through the screen so they can't fly, or like you said I like to put them in the fridge after about 5-10 they are crawling very slow, If I just need one or two I go out and snag one off the landing board with the tweezers. Reverse tweezers work great.
    Spray with water huh. I did not think of that. Thanks.

How long do you leave the stinger in? The man that talked on the podcast that I referenced above I think left them in for 5 minutes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast