Maxant extractor - 9 frame

Default Maxant extractor - 9 frame

Recently received and used a new Maxant 9 frame to extract about 4 gallons of honey. The ordering and shipment were easy and on time. The product exceded my expectations and is exceptionally well built and easy to use. I was a little uneasy spending $600.00, however I am completely satisfied that I got my moneys worth.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Maxant extractor - 9 frame

We bought one last year, it worked great. All we need being back yard bkeep's, we had four hives last year to extract, 8 this year.
    Zone 6b: 27 hives in Maryland, Carniolan, Italian mix mutts: Still learning - started bees spring of 2014.

I was looking at getting the 3100 series myself. I use deep supers so I'm planning on trying the new 4 frame radial. Did you get the legs kit? Also how much effort was it to extract them by hand?

Quote Originally Posted by TomG View Post
    I was looking at getting the 3100 series myself. I use deep supers so I'm planning on trying the new 4 frame radial. Did you get the legs kit? Also how much effort was it to extract them by hand?
    I did get the leg kit. I spun deeps only out of a dink hive that I shook out. It wabbled a lot in the beginning until the weight started to even out between frames, but spinning by hand was not hard and even my 5 year old son was able to help out. I didn't miss the motor....so far.

Maxant
    Blue Sky Bee Supply
    Quality Bee Supplies, Bees and Containers!

Love my 3100.... Balancing the load when you put in the frames I have found is the key to controlling the wobble...
    Since '12 Zone 7a 42.25N 71.00W 17H OAV Amitraz
    Seaside Apiaries

I bought the 9 frame motorized Maxant last year and used it to extract on 2 occasions, got 7 gallons the first time and 4 the second time. Very Good piece of equipment, I give it a 8.5 out of 10. I did not get the leg kit. I built a metal frame base for it stand on with a much wider base for stability, which I think it needs. IMHO the legs just are not far enough apart to stable enough to make me happy with it. I do weigh my frames and make a list to balance them out as best I can. I use medium frames for honey harvesting and place them only in the radial positions, so 6 medium frames at a time. I don't like the idea of extracting tangentially, I don't like the reversing and the increased likelihood of frame blowouts etc. I decided last minute to splurge for the motorized version and 15 minutes into the process was very thankful that I did. I could not imagine doing this manually. Once I get up to speed I just walk away to deal with other things and it takes 15-30 minutes at top speed to fully extract. When I say fully, I mean that the top bar is relatively dry, no longer coated in a layer of honey. I am happy I bought this extractor and I would recommend it to other beekeepers.

I've got one on the big brown truck headed my way. It was a lot of coin to drop (for me anyway) for only being a 2nd year keeper. I'm of the mindset "buy once, cry once".
    I keep track of my hives using http://www.mybeekeeper.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape71 View Post
    I've got one on the big brown truck headed my way. It was a lot of coin to drop (for me anyway) for only being a 2nd year keeper. I'm of the mindset "buy once, cry once".
    which one did you go with?

Quote Originally Posted by TomG View Post
    which one did you go with?
    I got the 1300P. Thought about the hand crank, but knowing myself, I would end up getting a motor for it anyway somewhere down the line. So I crunched the numbers, and with shipping, it was around $140 dollars cheaper to just go ahead and get it and be done with it. I don't think I'll ever get to the size to need a 3100, but if I do, I know I'll be able to re-coup most, if not all, of the selling price.

PS I use all mediums, so that went into the equation as well.
    I keep track of my hives using http://www.mybeekeeper.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape71 View Post
    We bought one during our second summer of bees. As we age gracefully, both of our arms do not like to crank. I pay the price for weeks if I overuse my arm.

It did a wonderful job. The main thing like they all say, is balance the frames. We bought the leg kit, with balance it did just fine. We are careful to start slow with full frames, then speed up as they empty out.

Resale value is wonderful if we ever decide to end our relationship with our gals.
    Zone 6b: 27 hives in Maryland, Carniolan, Italian mix mutts: Still learning - started bees spring of 2014.