how do you make your inner covers?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default how do you make your inner covers?

Title asks it all. Just wondering how different people make their inner covers and what materials they use.

jb

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: how do you make your inner covers?

I just make a 3/8 inch rim. Place telescoping cover on rim to keep proper bee space on top of frames. I have found inner hive beetles love the inner covers more than the bees do. The rim gives the bees space to patrol freely on the top of frames. I don't have any problems with the lids being glued down. I very seldom see beetles in my hives. Full sun is a big help also. I live in shb heaven.

No such thing as inner hive beetles...typo. should proof read before posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bkwoodsbees View Post
    I just make a 3/8 inch rim. Place telescoping cover on rim to keep proper bee space on top of frames. I have found inner hive beetles love the inner covers more than the bees do. The rim gives the bees space to patrol freely on the top of frames. I don't have any problems with the lids being glued down. I very seldom see beetles in my hives. Full sun is a big help also. I live in shb heaven.
    SHB are the only reason I will use inner covers. They give room as your 3/8 rim does. My bees glue everything down and the beetle traps to the lid without inner covers or a rim. The rim they glue also. I would like to do an inner cover with a beetle trap built into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bkwoodsbees View Post
    No such thing as inner hive beetles...typo. should proof read before posting.
    Oh I don't know. The ones that live inside the hive are "inner beetles" the ones that live in the compost heap may be "outer beetles".

Or maybe the "inner beetles" are the ones that have spent time meditating and getting in touch with their inner self, promising to eat no brood, yeah, on second thought no "inner beetles"

So Bkwoods you could just tack that rim into your telescoping cover, right? I mean to make less equipment to deal with.
    If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    Abraham Maslow

I don't tack it but the bees sure do. That way if I am adding another box I can get it loose with hive tool. Remember with hive beetles full sun, evening shade ok, strong hives and no inner covers.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Nice design MP. When it is rim down, does the plywood in contact with the outer cover cause any issues, as I would run it like that. Afraid it might give SHB a place to congregate. I know that is not an issue in Vermont.

I made one of these last weekend the one with the larger top. I don't really have an opinion on it yet.

http://www.outyard.net/inner-cover.html

Quote Originally Posted by jbeshearse View Post
    Title asks it all. Just wondering how different people make their inner covers and what materials they use.
    A ⅛" space on the bottom, rather than a ⅜" space, gives me the correct bee space between the top of my frames and the bottom of the luan in my inner cover. I use Mannlake and Kelley (foundationless) frames. The vertical dado on my frame resets is ⅝".

I mostly use " luan or plywood and dado the rim with ⅛" space below and ⅜" to " space above the luan/plywood.
    David. The way you want to keep bees is most likely at least as good as any way that I could suggest. Probably better.

I take a 1"x8" and rip it into 1 inch strips/ I then cut 1/4" dado into the 3/4" side 1/2" deep 1/8 inch from one side. Leaving 3/8" on the other. I cut two pieces 19 7/8" long and two 15 1/4" On the 15 1/4" pieces I kerf 1/2"long X1/8" deep off the 1/8 inch side and 1/2 X 3/8 off the other This makes the end of the 15 1/4" pieces fit into the 1/4 inch groove of the 19 7/8. I then cut a piece of 1/4 Oak laminated plywood. (I use Oak because luan tends come apart after two scrapings. or any moisture) 18 7/8" X 15 1/4" and place it into the slot of the 1" surrounds glue and staple with 5/8" crown staples. If I want a round feeder hole in them I drill one if not I do what I want.

I take a used political sign and cut it to fit with a razor knife.

I build a rim about an inch high from scrap (mostly from cutting wider board down to standard box sizes), cut a 3/8" dado in the pieces to fit a 3/8" piece of plywood (or several chunks left over from something else). The plywood fits into a slot about 1/8" down from the edge of the board.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by jbeshearse View Post
    Nice design MP. When it is rim down, does the plywood in contact with the outer cover cause any issues, as I would run it like that. Afraid it might give SHB a place to congregate. I know that is not an issue in Vermont.
    Rim down in winter only, so no SHB issues. Summer, rim is up, flat side down.

I make my own boxes so I have 1 7/8" off cuts left from making boxes. I make the inner covers with these also the outer covers. For the inner cover I dado 3/8 up from one side and put one notch 3/4" wide in the front 16 1/4" board. I insert the 1/4" luan or plywood for the inner cover. Drill a hole in the center for venting, your choice above 1". By the way the long side is 19 1/8" long. I cut dados in the 16 1/4" ends. The 19 1/8" goes into the dados and is the right length for the frames. You end up with one side with 3/8" vented space for summer and one side with 1 3/8" to use in the winter for sugar blocks or baggies. For the outer cover I still cut the dados on the 16 1/4" sides and add 1/2" plywood on the top. There's 22" aluminum flashing that you can buy that covers the plywood to protect it from rain and snow.

I had one inner cover that I won at a raffle that only had 3/8" on both sides. I didn't pay attention to it and put a sugar block in December that left about 1/2" propped space and cooled the bees way to much as they only had 3 small patches of brood on 3 frames. I had to give them a frame of brood from another hive. I guess I'll have to give that cover to someone else at a club raffle to get rid of it.

I like to make my inner covers with the correct bee space 3/8" on one side of the inner cover and 3/4" on the other side.
    1 1/4" x 3/4" with a 1/8+" groove for the 1/8" luaan 3/8" down. I also drill a 2 1/8" hole through the center of the luaan for ventillation. I can use the correct bee space during the season and flip the cover to feed (mountain camp) for the winter months.

Since I go to the trouble of using inner covers, I might as well use the correct beespace between the top of the frames and the plywood. The top of the frames in my hives is not flush with the top of the box; in actual use, the top of the frames are about " below the top of the box. I need an additional ⅛" to have the correct beespace. So, the plywood is recessed ⅛" rather than ⅜" on the bottom of the inner cover.
    David. The way you want to keep bees is most likely at least as good as any way that I could suggest. Probably better.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverderwent View Post
    Since I go to the trouble of using inner covers, I might as well use the correct beespace between the top of the frames and the plywood. The top of the frames in my hives is not flush with the top of the box; in actual use, the top of the frames are about " below the top of the box. I need an additional ⅛" to have the correct beespace. So, the plywood is recessed ⅛" rather than ⅜" on the bottom of the inner cover.
    Sounds correct for new wooden ware. Up here (frozen north) the bees tend to use a lot of propolis to seal out the cold. Thus our bee space dwindles to nothing under the inner cover after a winter. The frames tend to fit flush if not a frog hair below the top of the super. Scraping frames and frame ledges is no fun for me or the bees! lol In comparison, the bees will also propolis the end bars of the frames thus increasing the bee space between frames. This is also a pain to scrape off. Do the bees use less down in your neck of the woods?

I made a really nice neat and tidy stack out of all my inner covers last fall and I MIGHT even put them all back on but I doubt it.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast