A new bad invention
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A new bad invention

Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: A new bad invention

I hope that glass is also tempered so it isn't as breakable as regular glass could be.

I'm kinda scratching my head about this one, Nabber86. I don't disagree with you, but what's your objection to it? I'm not quite sure how I feel about it.
    Mark Berninghausen

As long as the glass doesn't break or burn up your bees, it seems kind of neat to me.

I don't see an obvious problem if the glass is tempered. Hobbyists would enjoy looking into their hives this way, at least until it is waxed over. It is a bit like an observation hive. The only downsides I see are higher costs and higher heat loss in Winter.

I don't know that replacing plywood with glass is patentable, but that is for the PTO to decide.

Jim.

imagine if the people viewing the bees like a spectator sport does it in full sun? that hive will heat up to 200 degrees in no time

I am just imagining the amount of bridge comb and propolis that would quickly build up rendering them useless. That and condinsation buildup between boxes.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Duplicate post
    Lauri Miller.
    Carniolan Hybrids. Glenn, Latshaw & Wild lines.

Nice novelty when it's new and clean, but as soon as you remove it a few times, it will get wax residue that will distort the view. + what was mentioned above

Screened inner covers do basically the same thing, but allow great ventilation and wintertime condensation control.
    It's quite clear and you can scrape it when necessary and clean it up with a propane torch if needed for any wax residue.
    Reduced photos distort the screen view, so here are full sized pics:

Here's that same hive after it filled up with bees:

a .50 cent food grade cutting mat form the Dollar Tree also works well for many reasons, especially if you have a feeding shim on.

Lauri Miller.
    Carniolan Hybrids. Glenn, Latshaw & Wild lines.

I think light is an issue for the hive and if I were to design such a contraption in the 60 dollar range I would have a dagger board that slides in and out underneath the glass. You just pull out the board when you want to look at the bees and return it before you walk away. I could build one of these but I am not about micromanaging my bees.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Isn't this what larry storch (at the hives entrance) refers to as a 'viewing frame'?

I had a screen inner cover on a nice hive on my porch all winter. It was neat to be able to pull off the top and see what they were up to...but in a cold winter there is quite a bit of heat loss (not by looking once or twice, but looking out of curiosity often).

Probably a screen inner cover with a piece of plastic over it would prevent the heat loss from opening, amd keep the bees off the glass....but during winter I wouldn't expect much building on the glass anyways.
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me
    Other times I can barely see. -The Grateful Dead

While I don't see the benefit of that exact design. I do know that letting in light at that area can be useful in combating SHB, especially if you have traps installed. A screened moving screen and shimmed top suffices.
    Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc

I think that glass would be a bad idea from a condensation standpoint. With zero absorption properties, any condensation would drip back onto the bees.

maybe leave the top off as a solar wax melter.. ohh the poor bees..

One year I put small pieces of plexiglass on a few hive's inner cover holes, to keep bees from getting into the insulation, in winter. It was very interesting,to look thru them. It was just leftovers from a project, laid over the hole. But it makes a good little porthole. They were fully propolised by spring, no longer see-thru

Just clarifying a bit... I have had the glass on my hives for the last 4 years. They do not propolize it because it is an impermiable surface. I have seen some burr comb which normally means I need to assess whether to add another box or not. It does not scratch and fog like plexiglass. The condensation amount is very small and in my experience they will drink the little bit that is there.
    The glass is laminated like your car windshield and will not shatter into the hive. It also acts as a thermal barrier with 2 sheets of glass with a pvb layer in the middle. It's not your average glass pane.
    The glass will not heat up your hive because it is an inner cover you still must place your telescoping or migratory cover on top.

I really do like hearing all of the feedback and questions. There are pros and cons to all equipment depending on your scale and desired outcome. So far I have had a very positive experience and have not had any negative reviews from beeks that have them on their hives. I do welcome any constructive feedback though. image.jpgimage.jpghttps://youtu.be/YTC6LFNQp-E
    Last edited by BeeGold; 04-19-2016 at 08:44 PM.

Interesting. Other than a way to peek into a hive I'm not sure there's enough utility to justify a $50/per hive addition to a whole apiary. I can see having one to act as sort of an observation or display at the house.

Beekeepers are notorious for being thrifty.

On the other hand, the flow hive sold over $12 million worth of very expensive equipment that may or may not be especially useful...
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

I had a square of lexan (plexiglass) laying around when I made a bunch of inner covers and used it instead of plywood. The kids think it's a hoot and whenever anyone visits and wants to "see the bees" I pop the lid and let them look through. So far the bees could care less what it's made out of.

And in the world of patents, that right there is what we call "prior art".

A. I. Root had a few glass inner covers in use in the 1890s. He used them to see what was happening in winter, and the same as Green Tractor, for the enjoyment of visitors.
    42 + years - 24 colonies - IPM disciple - Naturally Skeptic

something of a novelty. Might be useful introducing timid kids or adults to the inside of a hive.

I looked at this at Pigeon Mountain Trading a few weeks ago. They were good about telling everyone who looked at it that you had to keep an outer cover on top of it when you weren't looking in it. But I agree with the comments about how it's going to get covered in wax and will cause drips.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast