Painting Cypress Woodenware???

Default Painting Cypress Woodenware???

Would you paint cypress woodenware, or leave it natural? I plan to use outdoor latex paint if that matters.

Thanks,
    Binnie

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Painting Cypress Woodenware???

Paint it. Will last longer. Unless there's someone you're trying to impress. Your bees could care less.
    Last edited by dynemd; 03-08-2016 at 04:04 PM.
    If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    Abraham Maslow

We stained the cypress facia boards on our cabin, so they would match the cabin.

If I had cypress hives it would probably be because of their decorative appeal, and I would use a semi-transparent stain or clear finish that showed it off.

Definitely finish it somehow. Old growth had much more cypressene than the quicker, new growth.

I've only used a few cypress boxes but I primed and painted them. Came out great. I liked the cypress.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I've been using cypress for bases. Paint as everything else.

Binnie,

The answer may depend on why you bought cypress. I bought cedar components so I wouldn't have to paint them. A dealer pitched cypress to me as another alternative with similar long-lasting properties without paint. I use both unpainted and they work fine, but I've only been at it a few years.

You probably would not want to paint them if you bought them for their "natural aging" look, to avoid chemical paints or natural weather resistance. You probably would want to paint them if you want them to last longer, regardless of the type of wood.

There may be a related question: Why cypress, or cedar in my case, if it costs more and is just going to be painted? It may be a better value to go with painted pine if you aren't getting discounted cypress. I am making that switch now as my bees die just as well in unpainted cedar as painted pine.

Jim.

In 1993 I bought out a local beekeeper. He was retired. I got several 8 frame cypress hives from him. They were all branded with his father in law's name and painted light gray. The tops and bottoms appeared to have been creosote treated. I still use all but the one that I lost a good hive to mites in the early fall and had wax moths pock mark the wood before I learned a bit about what I should be doing treatment wise. I have never had a pine box last like that even with paint. In fact, all the pine boxes I got in 93 are no longer in use.