Let's talk about lega vaporizer unit - Page 2
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Default Re: Let's talk about lega vaporizer unit

I think thats the best material proof I've seen on the mechanism of oxalic acid treatment!

Thanks for that bit there, Bernard!

Everyone else, good stuff as well!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BernhardHeuvel View Post
    Yes, it is a digital microscope. It is that one here: http://www.mueller-optronic.com/Micr...ml?language=en
    Would that be considered a sterio microscope? Seems to be a good one.

That's a good use for a water flow meter

WM2_600x600.jpg

Yet I can't seem to find the same housing they use....

Quote Originally Posted by hex0rz View Post
    Yet I can't seem to find the same housing they use....

its probably a small manufacturer in another country.

I don't know plumbing, but unless it's kind of specifically made for this application by a plumbing manufacturer, I don't understand why any pipe going through a meter would have such a large reduction in size from inlet to outlet.

Thank you Bernard for sharing such clear researched results, awesome pictures, and clear explanation on how the OA kills the mites.

Orders for the Lega hot air vaporizers will be shipping next week. We have some on the water now and some being air-freighted in. These things are awesome. As of now, we have plenty coming in, beyond pre-orders. See listing for more info and videos.
    Blue Sky Bee Supply
    Quality Bee Supplies, Bees and Containers!

AHEM!

The time has come! I FINALLY received my package for the LEGA vaporizer unit! I'm very excited to put this device into use and start killing mites! I never thought I could be so excited over killing such a bug!

I have also received an e-mail from blue sky stating that some of the recommendations of the heat guns are not working as well as the steinel unit. I myself have a wagner brand heat gun. I guess there is a problem with blow back from the unit not fitting as tightly. I have not gotten the unit attached to the gun yet, so I shall see if there is any remedy to it.

I wanted to take a moment and post some pictures of the unit and begin with the design and eventually the functionality and efficacy of the unit. I have 2 nucs to still pick up and wont begin treatments until after they are installed. My thoughts were to install homemade sticky boards to take pre-treatments drop counts and then post-treatment drop counts for each treatment done.

I will be conducting this test on a total of 8 colonies. I'll use 1 as a control and treat them after the mite treatment testing. But first, lets start with pictures of the unit! This is strictly the unit itself. A board was included with some foam adhered to it to block the entrance when applying the vapor. I will not but using the board as my entrances will be circular entrances.

NOTICE! Its very revelating to figure out, that this unit is INDEED essentially, a water meter housing, pipe reducer and a copper pipe! Should I be disappointed over this? Maybe... I definitely stand corrected to the thought that it wasnt a housing. Regardless, I paid someone to come up with a simple device that I couldn't think of. The few perks to the addition of the basic unit is that it had a molded plastic outer case, and probably a metal cup that they have pressed.

This device really could be replicated easily, but I would never advocate selling it out of respect to the inventor and possible patent infringement. Well, there you have it boys and girls! Next up, real world testing! More to come!

bet I could score an old water meter from a buddy at the water dept. More to come

I bought a Steinel gun for mine and the fit wasn't tight enough. I ended up shimming it with some aluminum foil to tighten it up. I noticed that the new ones have a set screw to improve the fit. Just a heads up that I turned my Steinel on high to burn out some left over OA when I was done treating and eventually the unit got hot enough to to start to melt the plastic casing.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by sakhoney View Post
    bet I could score an old water meter from a buddy at the water dept. More to come
    It's been tried, good luck with that. Thought you were TF?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It's been tried, good luck with that. Thought you were TF?
    Hey OT, I don't recall, what was the temp to set the heat gun at to sublimate the OA?

A small update. I've began test fitting the wagner heat gun with the OA unit and find that yes indeed, there is a blowback occuring. My first remedy is using foil tape to the tip and wrapping it until the fitment is tight. Then I've rotated the unit as if to thread the device to the tip. Applying a certain amount of the tape has allowed a very nice fit and the blowback is currently a minimum.

We'll see how this works, and if the tape burns then I may try and source some glass tape from a stove place to take up slack and seal without causing any problems. I've got some extra laying around but I'll try the foil tape first. So far, I'm impressed with the idea and cant wait to start treating! I may actually have the most successful beekeeping year, yet! lol...

Re the temperature, for me anyway I have to somewhat disregard what the digital readout is and wind the temperature up pretty hot to get things started, then once it's blowing out plenty OA vapor wind the temperature down till it's running OK, play it by ear rather than what the gauge says.

With my heat gun it is a tight fit there is no blowback. But I took the LEGA to the store and found one that fitted, they do exist. I see they have added a screw to yours so they must have run into problems with other sized heat guns, mine does not have that.

I would try aluminum tape for furnace duck work.

Quote Originally Posted by My-smokepole View Post
    aluminum tape for furnace duck work.
    Would that be furnace duct work?

Old timer - I have been so far - never hurts to have a back up plan if needed agree? And if I decide to treat I don't want it to take a month to do the job. That's why I'm looking into this

Any more up date on this unit? Witch Wagner heat gun? Just there cheap one. Model #

I bought both the lega vaporizer and the steinal heat gun. The gun fits to loose to stay in the vaporizer by itself and when I tighten the set screw it pushes the gun off the unit. Not really what I expected after spending around 400.00 on the product. I guess tomorrow I will be spending a little time at the machine shop.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast