Ventilated Suit for Daily Use
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ventilated Suit for Daily Use

I'm considering buying a ventilated beesuit but I want one that will hold up to daily use for at least a couple of years. Is anyone on here using a ventilated suit that much that can recommend one?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Ventilated Suit for Daily Use

I have an Ultrabreeze --- best I've used so far. Expensive but worth every penny.

Thanks Houstonbees! I checked out the Ultrabreeze website and liked what I saw.

I've been using a Dadant suit for the past five years. Except for a zipper issue it's been durable but it's very hot to work in, I've also "outgrown" it, and it's time to retire it. I do like my cricket style jacket/veil combo from Dadant that I wear most of the time but sometimes I need a full suit depending on the conditions.

Keep in mind, I work bees maybe 2 weekends a month.
    We have 2 of the "hooded jackets", one from Dadant, the other from Mann Lake. I think I like the Mann Lake design a little better due to the velcro flap over where the hood zippers meet.
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.

My ultrabreeze jacket is going five years of hard use doing cutouts. Replaced the hood once but that's my doing as I often hold my flashlight with my teeth to free up both hands while I'm shoulder deep in someone's floor joist system. The screen developed a hole from that but nothing a piece of duct tape couldn't fix. The new hood came with even better screen.
    Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc

I dont have one but time and time again Ultrabreeze has been the name thats tossed out for best ventilated jacket.

I have a dadant jacket myself. I do get somewhat hot in it, but perhaps not anymore than you might just standing in the full sun anyway.

I just wish they offered a different style veil. I will not wear the fencing veil regardless of how good the jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by Capphd View Post
    I just wish they offered a different style veil. I will not wear the fencing veil regardless of how good the jacket.
    I believe they can be replaced with any zip on veil. Not totally positive though

I have the Mann Lake ventilated suit and have used it for five years. I broke the pull on the zipper, but fixed that with a new pull. Otherwise it has been great, and I recently bought a second one for a backup, in case I would have a problem with the first. I'm allergic to the stings, so I need to be sure of my equipment.

ULTRABREEZE!!! I often suffered from heat exhaustion (being a senior) with the traditional suit. Never again will I go back to those closed suits except for cold weather use. Even so, the UltraBreeze easily fits over fall/spring jackets. Plenty of room and no stings. The UltraBreeze is absolutely the best bee wear available. There may also be other brands equally good but I've only used the UB.

I have the dadant full ventilated suit. You can feel the breeze through it, I get overheated in just a tshirt and shorts. It is a must for me. I have not tried the UB suit.
    Zone 6b: 27 hives in Maryland, Carniolan, Italian mix mutts: Still learning - started bees spring of 2014.

I run the ventillated suit from Mann Lake for my bee removal business. I must admit my techs are not easy on the equipment, but the suits seem to hold up well. I do like the fencing style of hood over the round style for ease of tight space removals. I recommend a baseball hat under the veil though. It keeps the screen away from your nose better when looking down.

I to have a ultrabreeze. But the one thing you need to remember is to where nothing under it if it is hot out. It took me many year to realize how much this helps. A jacket user.

lol I am usually out in nothing but undies under my suit. I overheat real bad.
    Zone 6b: 27 hives in Maryland, Carniolan, Italian mix mutts: Still learning - started bees spring of 2014.

I've had other people tell me they wear shorts and t-shirt under their suit but just like this past weekend when I made up splits, if I didn't wear my coveralls over jeans and t-shirt along with my cricket jacket/hood over that, I'd get stung. And I did get stung a few times through all that. It's when I am taking the hive apart instead of just pulling a few frames that they get really stirred up. Will the UltraBreeze give me enough protection to just wear the suit with t-shirts and shorts in that those type of conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    I run the ventillated suit from Mann Lake for my bee removal business. I must admit my techs are not easy on the equipment, but the suits seem to hold up well. I do like the fencing style of hood over the round style for ease of tight space removals. I recommend a baseball hat under the veil though. It keeps the screen away from your nose better when looking down.
    I learned that the first day I started keeping bees. My nose hit the screen for just an instant, unfortunately the bee hit at the same time & place.

I wear the UltraBreeze jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardsonTX View Post
    I've had other people tell me they wear shorts and t-shirt under their suit but just like this past weekend when I made up splits, if I didn't wear my coveralls over jeans and t-shirt along with my cricket jacket/hood over that, I'd get stung. And I did get stung a few times through all that. It's when I am taking the hive apart instead of just pulling a few frames that they get really stirred up. Will the UltraBreeze give me enough protection to just wear the suit with t-shirts and shorts in that those type of conditions?
    Yep!

Mgstei1, you were right! I gave the Ultra Breeze jumpsuit a test drive today in my shorts and t-shirt and it worked great! I was worried about the ankle socks but not issues there either. And, it was very comfortable to wear with temps at upper 80's to 90 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Houstonbees View Post
    I have an Ultrabreeze --- best I've used so far. Expensive but worth every penny.
    I've been using a Mann Lake jacket here in Houston and it's been horrible! What park of Houston are you in? Humble here!

I agree with Houstonbees, I use Ultrabreeze jackets. I haven't found anything better. Over the years I have bought several, but my original one, bought seven years ago, is still serviceable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast