Colorado Front Range - February, 2016 - Off to a roaring start - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: Colorado Front Range - February, 2016 - Off to a roaring start

Shinbone,

That looks like only a dusting !

I do like your saw, ax bit, and ?traps? collection on the shed wall though !

Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Creek Steve View Post
    Shinbone,

That looks like only a dusting !

I do like your saw, ax bit, and ?traps? collection on the shed wall though !

Steve
    Thanks! Yes, traps. My "northwoods" motif.
    --shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

To All - I was told 35 years ago by a beekeeper running 15000 hive this about supering.
    #1 Bees can never have to much room. They will cluster if they need to keep warm
    #2 with a warehouse full of boxes - he stated - the best way to make sure the boxes don't get filled with honey - leave them in the warehouse.
    #3 what will keep boxes of comb better? If there on the bees they will at least keep out the moth and keep them polished - ready to receive honey if needed
    My 2 cents worth

Haven't braved my way out to the bee yard yet but this is what it looks like out the kitchen window, and there is still snow coming down.
    Steve
    rsz_1p1090734.jpgrsz_1p1090734.jpg

We have about a foot now. "A dog's knee" - the big dogs, anyway. 4-16 PM.jpeg The garden wagon ( & honey hauler) in the foreground has 12" sideboards.

It's supposed to quit sometime Monday. 68* by Thursday, looks like I'll be making the PPBA meeting.

Stay inside, Steve - it's just the same old stuff we get every April. 2 inches of slush under 10" of powdery.

The forecast low tonight is mid-twenties. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the fruit blossoms as well, Arnie.
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

yea- it might be a little early - SE Texas - 75/80 in the day - yea buddy.

sak,

My Houston son says: "Everything is bigger in Texas except the snow fall. You can keep that white ‎stuff. "
    I'll bet you would agree.
    Steve

and you would win that bet - know what they say - snow is a 4 letter word. - I got a letter called "A Texan moves north" I'd love to post but at the end it gets quite foul mouthed
    If your not a full blown Christian shoot me an e-mail address and I'll send it to ya. You will piss on yourself

I love Texas Jokes - (short version) 'Ever hear about the guy who missed the turn for the men's room & fell into the swimming pool - After hearing how "everything's bigger in Texas"... he came up screaming "DON'T FLUSH IT!!!".

On the other hand, I'll take the snow over AHB, any day!

Snow, especially this time of year, can be a blessing in disguise. This storm will leave 3-5 " of moisture - much of it soaking deep into the ground rather than running off. The Alfalfa & Sweet Clover will have growth spurts that last for weeks - setting the stage for yet another strong main flow.
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

Well on the other side - Work and get your hives up to 5/6 pounders in triples. May 5th tallow blooms - Bees put on 200/225 pounds of honey in 35/40 days - pull and extract - put up supers for the year. Unless needing more splits - your done for the year.

I'm stayin put.

Let them overwinter naturally. Let them build up naturally in the spring. Super in mid June. Pull 200 lbs in August. Let them keep the fall flows for winter stores. Hit "reset". No AHB.

I've been to Texas. I've spent 50 years in Colorado. This is where I belong. My bees like it too.

Sak,

Like Colobee, I'm sticking here too, but your production rates sound awfully juicy. My last two years have been slim pic ken's in the foothills with only wildflowers at ~7K feet, minimal moisture, and a shortened season to boot.

I think I may have beaten the V-mites, for the time being, with OAV so if we get enough moisture at the right time of the year, maybe 2016 will be a good year.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Colobee View Post
    We have about a foot now.
    Same here. No bee wranglin' here today!

image.jpg
    Working beeyards at 7700' elevation in Ponderosa pine forest.
    Visit us at Best Raw Honey

Here's our progression:
    4/16 AM.4-16 Snow.jpeg
    4/16 PM 4-16 PM.jpeg
    4/17 AM 4-17 AM.jpeg

~18 inches, so far - it's supposedly about done. Clearing out tomorrow and back into the 70's by Friday...

We got about 6 or 8 inches here. Came home at 11:30 this morning and it was still snowing pretty hard; the bees were out flying around. Not a lot of them, just enough to make me shake my head. They are sick of winter, I think.

My garage roof at about 9:00 am this morning. I'd say we got 12" - 14" of wet, heavy snow. Lots of tree damage with this storm.

--shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

well guys - my bees just finished a 60 pound honey flow from blue/dew/black berry's - Ya'll can have/keep all of that

Quote Originally Posted by sakhoney View Post
    well guys - my bees just finished a 60 pound honey flow from blue/dew/black berry's - Ya'll can have/keep all of that
    Oh our bees are really packing it in too! Bringing in heeps and heeps of this white fluffy pollen form somewhere!!!

image.jpg
    Working beeyards at 7700' elevation in Ponderosa pine forest.
    Visit us at Best Raw Honey

Quote Originally Posted by sakhoney View Post
    And "Ya'll" can keep your AHB, fire ants, termites, mosquitoes, droughts, Texas sized tornadoes, floods, monsoonal downpours, hurricanes and HEAT! You can always put on more clothes, but you can only take all of them off, and still be too hot! I "did some time" in SE Texas, and have experienced all of the above, and that's why I'm back in Colorado.

Primarily, the same "dominant" AHB genes that carry their extreme aggressiveness also comes with the inability to cluster & withstand the cold & snow. Having had a brush with an AHB crossed Texas queen - there ain't enough honey in the world (outside of Colorado) worth ANY of that misery!

I'm glad we agree - there's not much room left in Colorado anyway.

It looks like the fruit trees blossoms may have survived, based on the observation that we never dropped out of the 30's for this storm. 'Should know for sure by the weekend.

Bet your boots that some hives will have been making the best of the confinement making queen cells ( right on time for swarm season). I'll be checking some this weekend, nucs at the ready.

Gotta head to the hospital - grandson #1 just arrived.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast