Getting seeds for what bees like
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Getting seeds for what bees like

I'm wanting to put out a couple/three acres of plants that bees like.

Finding these seeds are exactly cheap. Where is the best source for seeds of these types?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Getting seeds for what bees like

I'm getting ready to put out about 3 acres of white dutch clover myself. Not cheap seeds. Getting 50# through Hancockseed . It's the cheapest I can find bulk seeds. Then later on going to plant in late June about an acre of Buckwheat as well for fall.
    Thomas Bartram

Quote Originally Posted by drlonzo View Post
    I'm getting ready to put out about 3 acres of white dutch clover myself. Not cheap seeds. Getting 50# through Hancockseed . It's the cheapest I can find bulk seeds. Then later on going to plant in late June about an acre of Buckwheat as well for fall.
    I was looking at Hancock, but didn't have any point of reference. I too was thinking of buckwheat. Ar eyou planning on harvesting the buckwheat?

Actually I do plan to do harvesting of it,, Old school style Got a couple young kids that need to learn the old ways this year. According to what i've read about Buckwheat, 1 acre can produce 800 to 1200 lbs of seed. I'm thinking invest once and have plenty to seed again later on down the line.

The Clover will take over the area it's planted in and as long as I mow it once a year after the bloom goes to seed it will only get thicker each year.
    Thomas Bartram

Found Buckwheat seed at the local Farm Co-op for $59.99 a bushel. More than I want, but that's the cheapest I've found, though I only looked online.

Had some "disturbed" soil that I needed to seed anyway and ordered some from this outfit. Price seems reasonable.

http://www.ohioprairienursery.com/

Actually I do plan to do harvesting of it,, Old school style Got a couple young kids that need to learn the old ways this year. According to what i've read about Buckwheat, 1 acre can produce 800 to 1200 lbs of seed. I'm thinking invest once and have plenty to seed again later on down the line.

The Clover will take over the area it's planted in and as long as I mow it once a year after the bloom goes to seed it will only get thicker each year.
    I'm thinking along the same lines. But no young kids close at all. At least none that have interest in doing the old school things. How do you go about harvesting buckwheat? I like what you said about clover, and it's at the top of my list to do.

For you folks thinking about clover, research WHICH clover the bees like. I seeded about 3/4 of an acre with red clover as I own a farm, am very familiar with it,etc. Discovered here that Red Clover isn't something the bees like, Had another spot, about 1/2 acre and used Crimson clover which they do like. FWIW, my very limited experience last fall and this pring with seeding for bees is that what's readily available and cheap isn't their preference. So research prior to investing time and money.

I found our local Coop (Leaf River Ag) is the cheapest around for clover or alfalfa seed. Much cheaper than what I can find online. If I remember correctly they quoted a price around 2.20- 2.50 a pound for sweet and alsike. 10-12 pounds should cover a acre. Figure 22-30 bucks a acre. Good luck!

Not all plants sold for bees do they use. If they find something else, even if further away they may go for it. A word about buckwheat, they will only use it till about 10 o'clock. The heat of day removes/ stops the nectar.

I order seed online from Nixa Hardware & Seed just south of Springfield, MO. They have a honeybee clover mix that is a blend of 3 or 4 different clover seeds. I planted 5 acres of it last fall and it's looking great. http://nixahardware.com/

I also planted some sanfoin but didn't get a good stand. I'll leave what's there and see how the bees like it. Can't remember who I got the sanfoin from......somewhere in UT.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim KS View Post
    I order seed online from Nixa Hardware & Seed just south of Springfield, MO. They have a honeybee clover mix that is a blend of 3 or 4 different clover seeds. I planted 5 acres of it last fall and it's looking great. http://nixahardware.com/

I also planted some sanfoin but didn't get a good stand. I'll leave what's there and see how the bees like it. Can't remember who I got the sanfoin from......somewhere in UT.
    Hmmmm no prices on their web site???

No farmers Coop near by in IL?

Quote Originally Posted by jcummins View Post
    How do you go about harvesting buckwheat?
    That's actually pretty fun if you need a stress relief. Cut it near the ground with a hoe while grasping the tops. Then to get the seed from the plants, thrash it against a white sheet on the ground. The seeds fall off onto the sheet, they are dark colored so it makes it easy to know what's what when done.

If planning to do it this way, elevate the edges of your sheet by placing blocks or something under them. It will make a sort of basket for the seed to stay in.
    Thomas Bartram

That's actually pretty fun if you need a stress relief. Cut it near the ground with a hoe while grasping the tops. Then to get the seed from the plants, thrash it against a white sheet on the ground. The seeds fall off onto the sheet, they are dark colored so it makes it easy to know what's what when done.

If planning to do it this way, elevate the edges of your sheet by placing blocks or something under them. It will make a sort of basket for the seed to stay in.

scythe works well, and...well, this is odd, but, I had a drum style chicken plucker (not like the whizbang) Just pick up a bundle and roll the heads over the rotating fingers (quickly!)
    *There's a small grain farmer just shaking their head right now*

Quote Originally Posted by lowhog View Post
    No farmers Coop near by in IL?
    Jcummins - you might try Phelps Farm Store in Paducah, that is where I got my Buckwheat and clover. You also have a Rural King at Marion and Paducah, TSC at Paducah and Ballard Co-op at LaCenter KY, Rudy's at Kevil. Should be something close to you there in S IL. maybe Marion FS.

Quote Originally Posted by timgoodin View Post
    Jcummins - you might try Phelps Farm Store in Paducah, that is where I got my Buckwheat and clover. You also have a Rural King at Marion and Paducah, TSC at Paducah and Ballard Co-op at LaCenter KY, Rudy's at Kevil. Should be something close to you there in S IL. maybe Marion FS.
    Thanks. Yes, learning of places to search out. I'm going to touch base with them all.

I need to make friends with some young bodies to harvest buckwheat. A scythe I gave up longgggg ago. Very hard on my back. I have found a circular grass blade in a weedeater works amazing well as a power scythe. Lets you lay over tall stuff very easily. But even weedeaters and me don't get along very well.

This thread belongs on the Garden/Planting for bees forum. Moderator, please move it.

Quote Originally Posted by jcummins View Post
    Hmmmm no prices on their web site???
    (for Nixa Hardware & Seed) A phone call will get you seed cost & shipping info. I got mine in two days.

Quote Originally Posted by timgoodin View Post
    Timgoodin thanks. Got some buckwheat from Marion FS and yellow and a little white clover from Phelps.

Anyone got some good instructions on how to plant buckwheat.? I have dirt and equipment but, no planting or harvesting experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast