West tn new bee question

Default West tn new bee question

Can I rotate hive body's are is it too early I have drone cell . no drones have hatched yet .Also have a ton of worker brood . I'm worried about swarming. it's in the mid 30s at night and mid 60s in the day. This crazy Tennessee weather is killing me

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: West tn new bee question

I live just north of Memphis and I just rotated my hives yesterday. Upon inspection I have 3 medium boxes of capped brood. With drone cells and quite a few drones walking around as well. The last month the hives have went through 2 boxes worth of honey storages. Crazy warm weather makes them fly and then they seem to burn through more honey since they cant find any nectar. I do have a bit of uncapped nectar, some new comb, and tons of pollen. But I think we are still about 2-3 weeks before the start of any flow. But I am taking a risk and hoping I dont get some chilled brood. Always pros and cons to weigh.
    Last edited by Teipsum; 02-29-2016 at 03:04 PM.

Thanks for the reply this weather has been nuts and hard for a new bee keeper to know what to do .

I'm going to wait until next weekend and the temperatures are pretty much above freezing at night. I am an hour or so north of you guys. Of course it will depend on what I see during inspection also.
    Last edited by timgoodin; 03-01-2016 at 06:21 AM. Reason: after thought

Rotated two of my largest hives Today hopefully everything will work out .

We don't rotate ours by time of year but by how the bees look. When the top box is full we rotate. We only do this once and depend upon our removal of nectar combs in april to discourage swarming. We replace these with foundation or empty combs. STILL strong colonies much be checked for sign of swarming with a simple lift and look underneath the frames for queen cell building at the bottoms of the frames. Best of Luck!
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

My top deep was full of bee's and brood bottom box didn't have anything just wanted to make sure the queen would would use all of her brood boxes but didn't want to risk of chill brood with the cold nights we are having.

Based on your weather, i would rotate and not look back. Highs in the mid 70's and lows close to 60 arnt going to be an issue for freezeing the hive. 10 days out for your forcast shows more of the same if not even warmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellisfarms View Post
    My top deep was full of bee's and brood bottom box didn't have anything just wanted to make sure the queen would would use all of her brood boxes but didn't want to risk of chill brood with the cold nights we are having.
    Better to be safe than sorry! However you could have exchanged a couple pollen or honey frames up top with some empty combs beneath.
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c