Idea for a Swarm Trap

Default Idea for a Swarm Trap

Here's my idea for a swarm trap: use a 5 gal water container, paint it either white or some other tonal color, pour melted wax in and let it harden against the base, if I have plenty - slosh it around a little, spray lemon grass inside, hang upside down with the entrance about 4 ft off the ground and have the container exposed to dappled southern sun.

Think this will work? He opening is probably 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Idea for a Swarm Trap

How will you get the bees out and into a box?
    " Every apiary starts with the first hive"

Quote Originally Posted by Pooh Bear View Post
    Think this will work?
    No. I think that most paints would let light in. I would be leery of the thin wall and the downward oriented opening. And as Clint Eastwood said in the Eiger Sanction, you always have to plan your escape route; how do you simply get the bees into a hive.
    David Matlock

I avoid any trap in which a cutout is required after capture. Use your usual brood chamber for traps.

I can recall twice where I was called to get bees that had gone into a 5 gallon white bucket, 1. hanging upside down on a fence post, 2. sitting on a bench inside a tool shed, but, I would not use them for swarm traps unless it was the ONLY way I could put some swarm boxes out.

As odfrank said, you will have to do a cutout, which is time consuming, and disrupts the bees. Plus, a 5 gallon bucket will get very hot when left in open sun or even in the shade. By late Spring in most areas, the bucket would be too hot for the bees to set up in them.

Only as a last resort.

cchoganjr

I guess the best question is why would you use buckets? I drew up some plans for bait hives that are 5 frames so you can utilize nuc tops. They come out to right at 37L and i can get 12 from 3 sheets of plywood. Including the migratory top, using HD lumber they cost me $7.02 a piece

All valid points - thanks for the input

Quote Originally Posted by TomG View Post
    I guess the best question is why would you use buckets? I drew up some plans for bait hives that are 5 frames so you can utilize nuc tops. They come out to right at 37L and i can get 12 from 3 sheets of plywood. Including the migratory top, using HD lumber they cost me $7.02 a piece
    care to share these plans That's better than even the cheapest options out there. I'm assuming it's a typical 5 frame nuc demensions, but at 37L it has to be deaper than a deep Nuc. What are your depth demensions?

Yeah, I've been using them since last year, but not like that.

I cut the bottom out of the bucket, leaving 1/2 inch around the outside rim. Over these, I laid "top bars" with a starter strip of foundation wax. Guess what? The square buckets are MUCH EASIER to make top bars for!

Over the top bars, I placed a piece of plywood, acting as an inner cover. It has to fit all the way to the outside! A second bucket goes over the whole shebang.

Over the outer bucket, I place a plywood clamp. It is a square piece of plywood with a fitted square hole, fitting all the way down to the reinforced part of the bucket.

Under the bucket, I place a piece of plywood for a floor. it is connected to the clamp by 4 pieces of all-thread, washers, and nuts. I cut an entrance in the lower (inner) bucket.

When the bees start building comb in the top bars, I remove them and screw them into normal frames, placing them into the Langstroth hive boxes. I place new top bars back into the traps and re-set the traps.
    Last edited by kilocharlie; 03-01-2016 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    care to share these plans That's better than even the cheapest options out there. I'm assuming it's a typical 5 frame nuc demensions, but at 37L it has to be deaper than a deep Nuc. What are your depth demensions?
    Here's the plans that TomG and I used to make swarm traps. All from 19/32" ply and 1x10 pine from HD. You'll need 1 sheet cut as shown in this picture http://s629.photobucket.com/user/teh...ijn2h.png.html and 2 sheets cut as shown by this http://s629.photobucket.com/user/teh...raks1.png.html . The lid is made of 1x10 pine http://s629.photobucket.com/user/teh...gt73a.png.html . Here's the final product http://s629.photobucket.com/user/teh...bo80z.png.html http://s629.photobucket.com/user/teh...waswl.png.html . All ply was glued and stapled together. The cleats for the migratory top were screwed on to help prevent the 1x10 from warping and cupping. Then just drill an entrance hole on the front or side lower portion. If anybody would like the sketch-up file I'd be more than happy to email it out if you PM me.