Arizona

Thread: Arizona

Default Arizona

Appears to have very limited beekeeping regulations. One of them is here:
    http://www.azda.gov/Docs/Beeslandownerpermission.pdf

I suggest contacting the Arizona Ag Dept as per that page to ask if there are other current beekeeping regulations.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-29-2016 at 10:35 AM.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Do you know your bee laws?

Quote Originally Posted by man_o_war View Post
    how about arizona anyone know of any beekeeping laws in az. i dont believe we even have a county or state bee inspector. does this mean beekeepers in az cant move their hives or sell queens to other states? and is az the only one like this?
    Some counties or other jurisdictions, here in Arizona, have zoning ordinances that affect beekeeping. There are no state-wide beekeeping regulations, or programs of inspection, etc. This means that beekeeping is virtually unregulated in the state, and not that we cannot export queens or bees from Arizona, just that many other states prohibit the importation of uninspected/uncertified bees and queens, into their jurisdictions.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

I did a search for "bee" on the AZ Dept of Ag website. Hardly anything came back. I did find this line in a very brief article, I found interesting:

"The Arizona Department of Agriculture does not handle any bee-related issues."

That seems to sum it up pretty well, for the Dept of Ag anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by jlaudiofan View Post
    "The Arizona Department of Agriculture does not handle any bee-related issues."

That seems to sum it up pretty well, for the Dept of Ag anyways.
    You sure make this sound like they have no interest with that mis quote, you should have copied and pasted the whole statement.

what the AZ Ag dept means is that they do not do swarm removal or cut outs.

They do control Apiary Inspections and more.

DavidZ, are you sure you are referring to the ARIZONA Dept of Ag?

Keep in mind that this thread is Arizona Apiary Laws only!
    Graham

yes, I live in Heber/Overgaard, AZ also.
    I have 19 hives here on my property off HWY 260 across from Circle K
    people know me here as the Bee Tree.

This may be of interest then ...

Beekeeping was deregulated in Arizona in 1994 at the request of the beekeepers. Many other states also deregulated beekeeping. One section of Arizona law remains which says if a beekeeper does not register with a farmer or rancher and provide notice of where bees are located, the beekeeper does not have recourse for death of bees caused by crop spraying. (See A.R.S. 3-801)

https://statelibraryofarizona.wordpr...histories/#api
    According to the link, there is no State Apiary Inspector as the law was repealed in 1994. However, beekeeping clubs and groups in Arizona may do informal inspections, but there appears to be no statutory method that involuntary inspections can be enforced.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by DavidZ View Post
    You sure make this sound like they have no interest with that mis quote, you should have copied and pasted the whole statement.

what the AZ Ag dept means is that they do not do swarm removal or cut outs.

They do control Apiary Inspections and more.
    Here is the entire Arizona Department of Agriculture webpage on bees.

"

If anyone is being stung, call 911.

If no one is being stung, but there is a swarm (a ball of bees in a bush, tree, side of house, water-meter box, etc.) of bees, go to the yellow pages and look under Beekeepers or Bee Removal Services and call one of the parties listed that advertises swarm pick-up or removal.

If there is not a swarm of bees but only a few bees foraging on flowers, this is a natural thing and you should not be concerned. Foraging bees are not defensive and generally do not sting unless provoked (squished, swatted at, etc.).

Otherwise, look in the yellow pages under Beekeepers, Bee Removal Services, Bee Supplies or Pest Control Services. Swarming bees or beehives should only be handled by a professional pest exterminator or beekeeper.

The Arizona Department of Agriculture does not handle any bee-related issues.

For more information on bee extermination or control, contact a local pest exterminator or your local county cooperative extension office.

For news media or researchers, call the Carl Hayden Bee Research Laboratory in Tucson, (520)670-6380."

Searching for "Apiary" yields no results. Check facts before telling someone they misquoted.
    Disclaimer: I am a newbee. I probably don't know what I am talking about. What works for me may not work for you.

Indeed true that here in AZ we do not have any type inspections nor does the state show much interest at all though we do have guidelines as to where bees can be kept when adjacent to another persons property.
    Cheers Bill
    zone 9b