site unavailable = good sometimes - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: site unavailable = good sometimes

"Can't teach an old dog new tricks".

Well I'm an old dog and I hate the new trick. I vote to change it back.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebee View Post
    But at about the same time, the website quit recognizing me when I logged on. I now have to enter my username and password every time I visit, never mind that I tell it to Remember Me. Also, immediately after logging on I get an error message about an invalid redirect. I can't tell if this is a forum change or some security setting on my end that got changed due to a McAfee or Firefox update. I suspect a cookie is getting trashed.
    It's not a forum change. You can't expect all the functionality of the forum if you block the cookies. I've been on the forum at night, went to bed and forgot to shut down my laptop and was still logged on in the morning.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by beesohappy View Post
    "Can't teach an old dog new tricks".

Well I'm an old dog and I hate the new trick. I vote to change it back.

Can't imagine the turmoil some are going to go through when I redesign the site and forum as planned, not just this little update due to a hack.
    Regards, Barry

I found the former home page a very convenient aggregation across all the forums. It was very easy to use and I miss it. I don't have time to look into each forum to see what is new every day. I think I will miss a lot of BeeSource content if the interface stays this way.

What problem are you trying to solve by removing home page threads or how does removing them make BeeSource better?

I think BeeSource is a great resource.

thanks, Jim.

Don't be flustered, beekeeping is a fluid thing and can change almost in a day. Observe, adapt and overcome.
    If Barry says that he's doing it for the better for the forum, so it is written, so it shall bee!

I say bring back the old way. I checked in to the forum a couple times a day to check what was new on the forum. It seemed easier to use and more aesthetically pleasing.

I am having trouble signing in. Every time I do, then go to forums it logs me out. IDK

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    update due to a hack.
    Bummer. When I was trying to connect to the site thru Google or Bing both would tell me that something was not not trusting about the site. I forget the exact wording.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeMoose View Post
    I say bring back the old way. I checked in to the forum a couple times a day to check what was new on the forum. It seemed easier to use and more aesthetically pleasing.

I am having trouble signing in. Every time I do, then go to forums it logs me out. IDK

Ditto.

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper and Rusty's Bees.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeMoose View Post

Again, I'm not interested in remaining static. Expect change. Learn to adapt. The "old way" is what got this site hacked. More change is coming. Regarding getting logged out, I've pointed this out many times, there is a box to check at login labeled "Remember Me". Use it if you want to remain logged in. Otherwise, the software is set to log you out after so many minutes of inactivity. Another anti spam feature.
    Regards, Barry

I take it all back. YOU FIXED IT!

Ty, ty, TY!

Rusty

edited to add:

I take it all back--it's still being goofy. If I start at beesource.com and click on any of the new posts, I am logged in. But if I start at beesource.com and click on the forum link at the top of the page, I am not logged in. And when I try to log in it won't accept my user name. Instead it wants an old, out-of-date address which it then turns into my user name and wants my password again, all before it will take me to the forum. And no matter how many times I start out at beesource.com and use that top forum link, I go through the same nonsense of not being logged in even though I clicked the "keep me logged in" box. Ugh.

Rusty

new edit:

The forum gives me a message after I log in the second time:
    "Message
    Invalid Redirect URL (https://beesource.com/forums/)"

Does that help anything?
    Last edited by Rusty Hills Farm; 02-28-2016 at 08:48 PM.
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper and Rusty's Bees.

Quote Originally Posted by beesohappy View Post
    Bummer. When I was trying to connect to the site thru Google or Bing both would tell me that something was not not trusting about the site. I forget the exact wording.
    This is what Bing tells me:

WARNING!
    This site might download malicious software that can harm your computer. Learn More
    We recommend you choose another result or you can go to this site anyway.
    To learn more about why this URL was marked as malicious, please visit the Bing Site Safety page.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebee View Post
    Personally, while I looked at the abbreviated list on the home page, my usual routine is enter the forums and select New Posts. There's more selection and more information on the hot topics that way.

But at about the same time, the website quit recognizing me when I logged on. I now have to enter my username and password every time I visit, never mind that I tell it to Remember Me. Also, immediately after logging on I get an error message about an invalid redirect. I can't tell if this is a forum change or some security setting on my end that got changed due to a McAfee or Firefox update. I suspect a cookie is getting trashed.
    I noticed the the Recent Threads portion of the home page is back. Thank you for putting it back on there.

I have also had the problem that Phoebee described above. I have to log in every time I return to the site. (I am clicking the "Remember Me" button every time.) Then once I log in I get this message...

Invalid Redirect URL (https://beesource.com/forums/)

I have not changed a security setting on my end and it just started happening yesterday. I am using Firefox 44.0.2 on Windows 7 if that matters. It is a minor annoyance but I greatly appreciate beesource as a resource.

When I want to login to the forum, I simply double click the "User Name" field and my name pops in. Click on the "Password" field and the password pops in. They are stored on your computer if you allow cookies. Easy breezy!
    Regards, Barry

A bookmarked link to the "New Posts" tab does not work.
    For instance at the present time the New Posts url has a php search argument with a numeric code, see below. This ID is not long lived but expires in an hour. This is new behavior, as previously the "New Posts" link was persistent.
    ht tp:// www.beesource.com/forums/search.php?searchid=8123940
    Last edited by JWChesnut; 02-29-2016 at 08:51 AM.

Barry,

After going back to the site a couple more times I noticed a strange occurrence.

I enter the web site at the home page. I click on the "Forums" link at the top. When the Forums come up it shows that I am not logged in. If I click on one of the Forums my user name appears at the top and I appear as logged in. If I click the back button I go back to go back to all the Forums it appears as being "logged out".

I can live with it. It is just strangely different.

Thanks,
    Scott

I'm getting that too. If I enter from an e-mail notification it recognizes me. If I come in via the home page it does not, even if I have just logged in a few minutes earlier. But if I pick a specific forum topic, it recognizes me again. The cookie has not crumbled, the new home page is not recognizing it.

I can live with it for now ... I'm sure a bit of fine-tuning will follow. Barry does a great job, but I've yet to see new website software go in that was not initially buggy.

The link to the forum on the homepage is just that, a link. It is in no way tied into the vBulletin software that controls your user experience. It was never intended for members to use as a way into the forum. Once someone becomes a member or routinely visits it, they would bookmark it and go directly to it.
    Regards, Barry

In my short time here I agree that Barry does a great job.

I noticed that when I click the "Forums" link at the top of the home page the address that appears in the address bar is "beesource.com/forums" and I am shown as not logged in. However if I add a "www." to the front of the address so it reads "www.beesource.com/forums" I am shown as logged in.

Quote Originally Posted by JWChesnut View Post
    A bookmarked link to the "New Posts" tab does not work.
    For instance at the present time the New Posts url has a php search argument with a numeric code, see below. This ID is not long lived but expires in an hour.
    ht tp:// www.beesource.com/forums/search.php?searchid=8123940
    You can't bookmark that page, it's not a static link. It continually updates. I just bookmarked it and now it's this URL: ht tp://www.beesource.com/forums/search.php?searchid=8124089
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Gough View Post
    I noticed that when I click the "Forums" link at the top of the home page the address that appears in the address bar is "beesource.com/forums" and I am shown as not logged in. However if I add a "www." to the front of the address so it reads "www.beesource.com/forums" I am shown as logged in.
    OK, that I fixed.
    Regards, Barry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast