site unavailable = good sometimes
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Arrow site unavailable = good sometimes

[ edit ...Well I boo-booed the thread title & cant seem to edit it, that also was supposed to be another thread, but what is there will do. ]

Lest my comments be miss understood, let me first say "Thank you" for those who make this collection of information, Forum,& Forum archives available, at no cost to me, a user.
    Now, what I have noticed ...
    A few days ago, i noticed that the "veiw latest threads" portion of the home page started working from my android phone. ( older Samsung, rooted with Cyanogen Mod. not terribly happy with it, but easier to live with than make further changes. At least it works now ). I had assumed its previous garbled state was due to my disabling certain "features" to the phone, since I chose to do it, I should just live with it.
    Normally, I often use my employers computer & network to read threads during my break & lunch times. ( Windows7 & whatever version of IE the network Admins choose to support) many links, advertisements often blocked . Last night I got some place holder page (?), so googled off to some other forum with topics that may or may not have been thoroughly discussed on beesource, but they were new to me. When I get time, I will try to search BS for them, & pursue & share but that will be another thread.
    This morning, I noticed that the BS home screen doesn't really work again, the "view latest posts" has stopped working on my Android, no longer "garbled" but beyond the label, it is not even there.
    I can get to the individual forums, although it takes several clicks. As always, attempting to answer a post from the phone is usually a frustrating challenge. Just the nature of the beast, so I do not usually post from the phone..
    I am posting this from my favorite digital work horse, an old netbook with a failed hard drive & flaky usb ports, running Puppy Linux "6.something", & currently Firefox 44.0.2. I think FF has discontinued support for Java in this version, here also the "view latest threads" is a label only, no link, no threads.
    ( I really like Puppy, & suggest it as a replacement for all versions of Microsoft, if you can use the many Linux software versions instead of the Microsoft versions )
    OK, the "honey do " list is looming, & wife is loosing patience.
    Thank you again. I gotta go. ... CE
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: site unavailable = good sometimes

Just so everyone is clear on this, I have disabled the forum feed on the homepage. There is nothing wrong with your browsers or the site. I may or may not put the feed back on there. We'll see.
    Regards, Barry

why....that was a convenient way to see latest discussions

I liked the forum feed, too. Sad it's gone.
    South Florida, 9 hives, TF, foundation free, slatted racks, bottom entrances, zone 10b

Please put it back!

I miss it too.

Really miss it - site has lost a good feature for sure. Why was it disabled?
    It is what it is!

Can you all please explain to me why you chose to read the post feed on the homepage and not on the forum page? I'm baffled that so many of you actually looked at it more than once!
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Can you all please explain to me why you chose to read the post feed on the homepage and not on the forum page? I'm baffled that so many of you actually looked at it more than once!
    It's a quick way to see the brand new posts. I never go Forum by forum to look at what's going on. I have a notification set for if anyone post in the TBH forum, but I check the home page first and then go to New posts but depending on how much time I have, I can't get through all those screens before my break is over and I have to get back to work. Then on my next break, the New posts have gotten dramatically shorter, even though I didn't get to read all of them on the first break, probably due to a cookie on my computer.

hi Barry, it was just easy to go to bee source , scroll down and get started. my vote is to bring it back.

Hi Barry,

I liked the fact that it easily laid out the most recent posts across all forums. It is much easier for me to view through my phone and I access that page several times a day to keep up with what's new. I would love to see it come back as well. Thank you for all you do with this site, it's very much appreciated.

The feed on the former homepage was actually "new threads", not "new posts". Yes, new threads have new posts, but the former homepage feed did not display all new posts.

"New posts" are currently available from the forum main page, either with the "New Posts" button, or the "iSpy" button. If you are not sure what I mean, click here for the main forum page: https://www.beesource.com/forums/forum.php
    then look for the "New Posts" button on the second gray menu bar, or "iSpy" on the first gray menu bar, both gray bars being near the top of the page, just under the Beesource logo.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

seems like more steps for the same info Rader, why do it that way?

Add me to the list of people dismayed to have lost my usual starting point on Beesource, which was the Recent THREADS section on the home page. (New posts moves too fast to follow.) I almost never enter the site from the page that shows the list of forums, many of which are very stale, with no recent activity. And I'd never click on each forum just to see what's new - who has time for that???

When we had that virus business messing with things a couple of weeks ago I was temporarily unable to access the site at all, until I figured out a backdoor link that listed all the forums - but it was a big bummer to do it that way, so I was relieved when I suddenly could get back on through the home page/Recent Threads pathway again.

Yesterday when I saw the pretty new picture on the home page, I thought it was grand until I could only find the recent posts link. But I assumed I was just seeing something that wasn't completely finished. But it seems, it was. Say it ain't so!

The advantage of the Recent Threads link is that I could see every new thread, often in forums I would never be likely to visit. I checked it several times per day. I think your traffic will go down as result of this change.

Just my two pennies worth of opinion.

Enj.

Quote Originally Posted by colby View Post
    seems like more steps for the same info Rader, why do it that way?
    Why the home page is set up the way it is/was is simply Barry's choice.

Normally I have a Beesource tab always open on my browser, and the page that is my default page is the New Posts page/button. Doing it this way I am only one click away from seeing all new activity since the last time I visited Beesource. So I don't see this as "more steps".
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Why is that every successful web site after a period of success decides to make wholesale changes, with no input from their constituents, and makes a mess of it. It is like you techie people just cannot leave well enough alone.
    I agree with Enj. and especially mourn the loss of the site starting off with "recent threads". Recent posts is quite frankly STUPID unless you are subscribed or interested in that topic. At the very least their should be a feature that allows you to stop adding posts for a time so you can catch your breath and peruse the page for threads/topics of interest to you (the client,customer, member).
    I have not received any email updates to the many threads I am interested in and had subscribed to in the last week or so. Is that feature now history?

I was also sad to see the website changed. I loved so much to look at all the new threads while I was working. I feel that the format was the best I've seen. Whenever you post a new thread everyone who visits the site will see your post as long as it comes up on home page. That equals a ton of traffic on each individual thread posted. It was an amazing way to get feedback from people who visit often. The new format will lead to many less responses per thread. Finding information will require one to look for specific topics winin a forum structure instead of a running conversation of sorts. Please put the latest threads back on homepage.

I like the "New Threads" feature on the home page because that's the way it was when I joined. I am a lazy creature of habit who has an aversion to change, but I will learn the new way if I must, because this is the best place I have found to find what I need to know. And you can't beat the price!

Thank you Barry and the Mods.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    you would be...the new home page sucks.

Personally, while I looked at the abbreviated list on the home page, my usual routine is enter the forums and select New Posts. There's more selection and more information on the hot topics that way.

But at about the same time, the website quit recognizing me when I logged on. I now have to enter my username and password every time I visit, never mind that I tell it to Remember Me. Also, immediately after logging on I get an error message about an invalid redirect. I can't tell if this is a forum change or some security setting on my end that got changed due to a McAfee or Firefox update. I suspect a cookie is getting trashed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast