Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

How much cinnamon in creamed honey?

52K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  LeonardS 
#1 ·
Is 1/8 cup of ground cinnamon per 10 lbs. of honey, the correct ratio?

#4 ·
Thanks Vance and jk! I am making 24 lbs. of plain and 24 lbs. of cinnamon flavored. I mixed in just over 1/4 cup of Tones ground cinnamon, and I think it has a good cinnamon flavor. I am going to have my wife taste it tonight to see what she thinks. I will stir it one more time tomorrow and put it in containers on Friday. If she thinks it needs more cinnamon, I will add it tomorrow before I stir it.

#6 ·
Most creamed, spun, whipped honey that I see in stores is plain. When it's a local beekeeper selling at a swap meet or open market, they always seem to offer flavored. I like my honey with peanut butter, but I'm not sure that would work in the mixture! My wife likes cinnamon with her honey, so I decided to try some. Hopefully a few customers will want to try it.

#7 ·
LeonardS
Thank you for the responce. I had watched a couple of you tube vidios of making creamed honey and it was mentioned in one that "you add the flavoring now". Your thread gave me a perfect oppertunity to clarify what was going on.
gww

#8 ·
I have some air bubbles on the top of the creamed honey after sitting overnight. Do you just leave them alone, or do you try to push them to one side of the bottling pail and remove them? First timer at this project, so just wondering how to proceed. Other than a few bubbles, things look real good!

#11 ·
The only marionberry I have heard of was the crack smoking mayor of DC! Not the best flavor in honey.

Seriously though.

It shouldn't be too hard. First infuse your honey with your berries. Remove the seeds by squishing them through a sieve. To infuse, you need to heat the honey to about 180, add around 1/2 cup berries and 1/8 tsp citric acid per pint of honey, and keep it all hot for about 30 minutes. Heating it will also take care of the need to heat the honey for creaming it - time saver! Let it cool to under 100 degrees and add your seed at the same 1:10 ratio. It might work.

#13 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info!

I have to tell you all a funny story.....I'm from Oregon where the marionberry was invented. It's a hybrid blackberry that's much bigger and better flavor than a regular blackberry. It's very popular in jams and pie and supposedly only grows in Oregon. I have several plants in my garden.
My family operated a fruit company where marionberry jam and syrup was our flagship product. When that mayor of DC was going through that our sales increased 4-5 times!!!
It's funny because everyone in Oregon knows what a marionberry is but had no idea it was also the name of a DC mayor.

I have some creamed honey in my cupboard and some berries in the freezer. Perhaps I'll experiment with just 1 container of it before I do a batch this summer. It sounds like the addition of fruit will cause an issue with the honey.

#14 ·
I put all the creamed honey in the 1 lb. tubs yesterday afternoon. The regular creamed honey was a thing of beauty! Nice butterscotch color and looked very smooth and creamy......it is definitely my favorite. The cinnamon flavored is not for me, and does not have the same creamy look as the regular, but hopefully customers will like it. I ended up with 47, 1 lb. containers and will price it at $7.00.

#16 ·
We make 50 lb batches using just under 1 cup of cinnamon. There is no comparison to the Vietnamese cinnamon we use (Penzeys). I's hard to get it to mix well, I take about 10 lb of warm (125) honey and use a hand held blender to get it to mix well. I then mix it in the pail with a drill mounted paint mixer for about 10 minutes. Put it in the basement, over then next 3 days I'll mix at least 3 times a day with the drill, then package and put it in a wine cooler set at 57. I comes out just as creamy as our plain. My wife gets these tiny silver spoons at the dollar store to give out samples. Out of 100 samples she will sell 99 12 oz. tubs at $7.00. Most of these sales come from people that have never even tried creamed honey. It out sells our plain 4 to 1.

#20 ·
Something I forgot to add, we use SueBee creamed honey as a starter to start every 4th or 5th batch. I was being frugal with it until it dawned on me that we were selling our stuff for more than we were paying for the starter. We now use at least 15% of the commercial starter to get a real smooth product and come out ahead. We noticed that after about 5 batches it would start getting grainy so we start over with their stuff. I found the key is to mix well at least three times a day.
Dave

#21 ·
"There is no comparison to the Vietnamese cinnamon we use (Penzeys)."

I don't agree with this statement, Dave. If you talk to people "in the know" about cinnamon, they will tell you the best cinnamon comes from India. Give the Tones cinnamon a try and you may never go back to the Penzeys Vietnamese cinnamon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.