Honey harvest in December last year

Default Honey harvest in December last year

https://youtu.be/zy5jMTHckFg
    a cut video of honey harvesting from one of our top bar hives, done at Imo state, south eastern Nigeria; in December 2015.
    P.S. forgive the poor quality of the video.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Honey harvest in December last year

Thanks for posting this. Can you explain the process for harvesting the honey? It appears capped brood comb was discarded to the ground. Is it not worth trying to keep the comb and reattaching it to a bar?
    Regards, Barry

Wow, that is the most honey I have ever seen taken from a top bar hive, it must be an excellent location for bees. Also, the bees did not seem very aggressive I thought Scutellata were supposed to be worse than that.

I noticed you did not check very hard for the queen, is that because all the bees clustered on the outside of the hive so you don't need to worry? I would have thought that you should put one piece of brood back in the hive with some eggs in it so that if the queen had an accident, the bees can make a new queen.

Do you have a winter where you are, or do the bees collect nectar all the year?

well, they did leave a frame that had just a small strip of honey and was mostly brood! The whole thing seemed rather barbaric to me by My standards.
    Last edited by Tenbears; 02-21-2016 at 06:42 AM.

Oh I did not notice the frame that was left, that explains it.

Re the comment "barbaric by our standards", I find this difficult to accept from a culture where in places with very cold winters all the honey might be routinely taken and the bees left to starve and freeze to death because new packages can be bought next year for less than the cost of feeding them. Is that barbaric? Or, some folks think it's fine to deliberately consign their bees to a lingering death by mite, which they think is a breeding tool. I could go on.

End of day people use methods that work best for them, but only see fault in others.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    End of day people use methods that work best for them, but only see fault in others.
    Ohhhh, can't we all learn from this statement Cool & interesting video.
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Oh I did not notice the frame that was left, that explains it.

Re the comment "barbaric by our standards", I find this difficult to accept from a culture where in places with very cold winters all the honey might be routinely taken and the bees left to starve and freeze to death because new packages can be bought next year for less than the cost of feeding them. Is that barbaric? Or, some folks think it's fine to deliberately consign their bees to a lingering death by mite, which they think is a breeding tool. I could go on.

Maybe you are right I should not have included others in the response. As I see the above described actions as barbaric also I can stand with a clear conscience.
    But then again I find a waste in any form Barbaric. It was not a case of finding fault. As trying to call attention to other alternatives.

Well that should certainly keep them from swarming. Might not keep them from absconding though. :O

Well, first of all, I appreciate your comments, and I understand where you're coming from.
    In the video, I was working with my trainer at one of his apiaries (I'm barely a year in this practice). In the south eastern and south southern part of the country he is the most prominent. Aside him, there's another prominent man from the northern part of the country though I haven't met him personally: Beekeeping is a new practice here in Nigeria, and there are a very few people involved in it. Traditionally, we have honey hunters, and they are also very few, and hardly pass on their knowledge to others. And there are no higher institutions in the country that do any course on Beekeeping, except for a polytechnic that I heard of in the south eastern part of the country that started a Diploma course on it last year. Most of the other beekeepers that I know received informal training from this same person. So you should understand why our methods may seem backward.
    Secondly, I don't know of any method that would be easy to use to attach the brood back with a top bar hive (from initial research, top bar hives work better at that location than the langstroth type), and I don't think my trainer knows, If he knew, we would done that because he's passionate about the bees.
    Normally, we don't take as much honey or brood as that from the hive, we leave more behind; I'll post one or two other videos from December last year on this thread so you can see.
    We will do some more honey harvesting later this month, and hopefully we'll get a better coverage of them and do things better, and I'll still post them here.
    Thank you all for your contributions, and I'd welcome more of them, and I hope I was able to respond to your concerns.

It seems that this method of "harvesting" honey is beneficial only to the honey hunter (beekeeper).
    Rubber bands, wire, string, cordage, anything can be used to attatch the comb back to the top bar. Not that difficult, just a little time consuming is all.

Yes, we are more interested in the production of honey as that is the market that is open to us now. So we do not rear queens or do many of the other things you do although we have the potentials to do some of them. And there is little or no funding for any research especially in this area, though we do such researches as we can fund personally. This may explain the reason for our using the methods we use. But the market is new and growing, we hope to do these things in the nearest future.

I just uploaded two more videos from the December harvest. here they are:
    https://youtu.be/BwcgAZq9ldI
    https://youtu.be/SjoSub9lZLU

I just uploaded two more videos from the December harvest. here they are:
    https://youtu.be/BwcgAZq9ldI
    https://youtu.be/SjoSub9lZLU