...so whats being done about hive theft?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default ...so whats being done about hive theft?

Alright, recently, the bee thefts have been coming into the picture with that almond season coming around the corner again. Its a thing that will constantly plague us all if we are beekeeping. Some hurts worse than others. The old addage, "that it wont stop a thief but rather slow them down", remains. We can tell that most commercial keepers obviously don't rely on the honor system a whole lot. Otherwise, they would not be branding their hives.

I'm trying to get input or feedback on those who do the commercial or sideline thing. What seems to be the most popular way of trying to prevent a thief from stealing hives? There is multiple safeguards against such, I'm sure, and there is what seems to be no silver bullet in defeating this problem except eradicating the need for pollination. Ha! ...a novel thought. Just kidding.

What gets me is that people want to use technology to answer this problem. Whether it be trackers, or RFID, etc. But how far is a commercial guy going to want to take it? Does he want to cover the theft of all of his equipment or some? Different methodologies to accomplish the same goal, I suppose.

What would it take for a commercial guy to say, "I'll spend x more minutes of my time to secure the hives than rather pay x more dollars for a doo-dad." Where does it become feasible to the beekeeper to say its worth protecting his operation from theft instead of possibly charging the almond grower more for the higher risk?

Regardless, this is all out loud thinking and it sure would be neat to hear from those who have been/are on the frontlines.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: ...so whats being done about hive theft?

The one thing that can put hobbyist minds at ease it that the hives that are stolen for the most part are palletized.

I use to loose a few nucs every year, I believe it is because they are small and easy to abscond with allowing the crooks to get in and out quickly.

I live in the boonies and have bear problems. So I simply took my bear fence one step further.

They are solar powered, and they all cannot be turned off from outside the enclosure. They are way beyond the average fencer and produce an intolerable amount of voltage. they will literally throw a 1 1/2 spark, Now understand these enclosures are on private property and someone has to cross additional gated fences that are well posted. when they reach the hive enclosure they find these signs. If they choose to test them it is up to them!

Attachment 22938Attachment 22938SANY0007.jpg

Just my thinking but until the buyer is penalized severely there will always be a willing seller that has no morals.

In the case of almonds maybe honest beeks and brokers need to let a few folks go without bees for a season or so.
    Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc

[QUOTE=Tenbears;1378269]The one thing that can put hobbyist minds at ease it that the hives that are stolen for the most part are palletized.

I use to loose a few nucs every year, I believe it is because they are small and easy to abscond with allowing the crooks to get in and out quickly.

I live in the boonies and have bear problems. So I simply took my bear fence one step further.

They are solar powered, and they all cannot be turned off from outside the enclosure. They are way beyond the average fencer and produce an intolerable amount of voltage. they will literally throw a 1 1/2 spark, Now understand these enclosures are on private property and someone has to cross additional gated fences that are well posted. when they reach the hive enclosure they find these signs. If they choose to test them it is up to them!
    Ten bears, what kind of solar charger are you using to get results like that??
    thankss

I make my own using 555 timers BT151 SCR, Tip122 a hand full of Caps, diodes and resistors, And of course transformers! The appropriate use of transformers = unlimited output. But one has to understand how they equate to amperage or they can easily become deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    I make my own using 555 timers BT151 SCR, Tip122 a hand full of Caps, diodes and resistors, And of course transformers! The appropriate use of transformers = unlimited output. But one has to understand how they equate to amperage or they can easily become deadly.
    Do you have schematic available somewhere? Would like to build my own, I have bought so many at the local farm outlets that burn out after 6 months or so. Hard to keep the horses and goats in the field.

i think it would deter most but if i really wanted to i would take a big stick and smash that electric fence down if someone is a thief not much you can do to stop them you have to get granny from the bev. hillbillys to guard it like her shine still rocking chair and double barrel
    old timer what does it cost you to make these fence chargers

Quote Originally Posted by johnbeejohn View Post
    i think it would deter most but if i really wanted to i would take a big stick and smash that electric fence down if someone is a thief not much you can do to stop them you have to get granny from the bev. hillbillys to guard it like her shine still rocking chair and double barrel
    Good point, a metal conductor to ground would short it out in short order.

the number 1 thing i do to deter theft is text landowners EVERY time i go to yard and they know if i do not text and they see someone near bees they are not to be there and i try to locate yard in view of there house a retired farmer best security i have found

Last week I spent another 1000 bucks on GPS satellite trackers and service. Placed one unit within one hive in each field of the bees we brought from Florida. Sent a link to the owner of the bees yesterday. Every day I get a text and email with there location and if they move I will know within a minute. Both he an I can drag up their current location in a minute online anywhere with internet service.

This will take a big chunk out of our placement cut but the fact that if the bees walk their owner will get his property back is of great consolation on my part.

How big of a chunk if you don't mind me asking.

Jean-Marc

You would need a mighty big stick to smash down 48 inch welded 4 gauge wire hog panels, And before you got many hives loaded the fence failure alarm would have already dialed my cell phone with the yard code. And I would be on my way, Drilling in hand! Note nothing in the process requires power from an on grid source. I do not simply want to detour the hard core thieves, I want to catch them!

Quote Originally Posted by timgoodin View Post
    Do you have schematic available somewhere? Would like to build my own, I have bought so many at the local farm outlets that burn out after 6 months or so. Hard to keep the horses and goats in the field.
    I do have schematics, Both for the solar charger controller and the fencer, the solar controller is no problem, But be advised the fencer could be dangerous if not properly managed and or erected and used. you will need some electronics background as well as some specific tools. an oscilloscope is necessary, as if you do not keep the frequency at around 100 cycles it will heat the Tip122 to appoint where it will unsolder the connection. even with heat syncs.

Quote Originally Posted by jean-marc View Post
    How big of a chunk if you don't mind me asking.

Jean-Marc
    A big chunk. Close to 10% of our gross take. The biggest benefit to us besides the peace of mind knowing that the borrowed bees are being monitored is that we will have use of the trackers in our own yards the rest of the year "subsidized" by this upfront expense of "guarding" the other bees while they are in the almonds. Win/ Win..............????

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    I do have schematics, Both for the solar charger controller and the fencer, the solar controller is no problem, But be advised the fencer could be dangerous if not properly managed and or erected and used. you will need some electronics background as well as some specific tools. an oscilloscope is necessary, as if you do not keep the frequency at around 100 cycles it will heat the Tip122 to appoint where it will unsolder the connection. even with heat syncs.
    Oooh, share schematics please! I've got oscilloscopes. And some electronics background.

I'm especially curious what your transformer of choice is. And I guess I'm curious why you're using a TIP122. That seems so.. 70's. And Darlingtons have such an enormous Vbe...

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    Last week I spent another 1000 bucks on GPS satellite trackers and service. Placed one unit within one hive in each field of the bees we brought from Florida. Sent a link to the owner of the bees yesterday. Every day I get a text and email with there location and if they move I will know within a minute. Both he an I can drag up their current location in a minute online anywhere with internet service.

This will take a big chunk out of our placement cut but the fact that if the bees walk their owner will get his property back is of great consolation on my part.

How many people know which hive in each place is the one with the tracker?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hillmann View Post
    How many people know which hive in each place is the one with the tracker?
    Right now that would be myself, my son, the beek who owns the bees and anyone he has shared the link I provides him with. I also shared the latitude and longitude coordinates with the broker who helped sell the deal. She had another beekeeper have 400 of his hives heisted a week before the bees were to go to the almonds. At a minimum thats at least three parties who lost a big pile of dough because no one was willing to pitch 200 bucks into the insurance fund.

hog panels that is no joke have u had hives stolen before tenbears

hog panels that is no joke have u had hives stolen before tenbears
    No! All this is actually for bear protection, Pa will only pay reparation for bear damage once. Even if you follow their fence mandates. I really am not in the business of selling off my hives so I do not want reparation anyhow. After loosing hive on 3 separate occasions I have made it my mission to keep the buggers at bay. At least Until the third week of November

American-black-bear-raiding-beehive.jpg

what about some sort of migratory pallet that is designed in such a way that will either keep a thief from or slow them down. Something that keeps them from taking individual boxes and also prevents them from forklifting or picking it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast