A nuc question.

Thread: A nuc question.

Default A nuc question.

a friend if mine wants to start bee keeping and asked if I would sell him some bees. If I put a nuc together with a laying queen, how long will it take to build up enough to sell to him?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: A nuc question.

You can sell them immediately, how soon to hive will depend on how strong you make it. I hate selling to no-beekeeping friends. Let him know what to expect and what he is in for.

I started off with a package. When you buy a nuc was it just thrown together a day ago or was it building for a month. I just dont want to be accused of giving him a weak nuc. I know the longer i keep it the bigger it will get.

Are you adding a mated bought queen or the queen from the mother hive? If a brought on queen I would wait until I could check her laying pattern. If the original queen, how ever strong you want to make it up from the hive. If you are worried about being accused, I would recommend someone else. If anything goes wrong it is going to make an uncomfortable situation. I guess it all depends on the friend. Getting avoided in the grocery aisle just because he let the bees die and blaming it on you isn't worth the price you are going to get by selling your best nuc too cheap.

It would be a bought queen. But I hear you. Thanks.

I didn't mean to be so blunt, but that is the possible outcome along with having to give advice and help, them not following it and still getting the blame.

Now to the good part, extra cash for more equipment or feed. Getting to help someone getting started and learn about bees is my favorite. Having someone to help assemble equipment together, yours and his. A bee buddy is very nice to have when you want to talk bees and normal people eyes glaze over.

My advice to you, is to sell them something you would be happy to buy, that's all you can do. Bought queens can be a game of roulette, 20 percent worldclass, 65% average, 15% duds or problems taking for some reason or another.

From a buyers perspective, I would want a nuc that has been put together for at least one brood cycle. I'd want to know that the queen was laying reasonable well and that there is sufficient stores to get them started.

Nucs are usually advertised regarding what they have in them, such as 3 frames of brood and 1 frame of honey. You will need at least 3 weeks for a brood cycle to begin hatching. That gives you at least 3 weeks from when the queen is placed into the hive and free to move about. You will also want to be feeding the nuc during this time. I would estimate 4 weeks +/- the weather's impact and make sure your buyer knows the weather is a significant factor.

You could sell the nuc within a week of making it with a new queen and a few eggs showing the queen was laying, but I wouldn't recommend it, especially for a new beekeeper.

Jim.

Ok that's good sound advice. I want to do it but don't want the blame either. And yes xtra cash for more bee things that's how I'm looking at it. Then the ol lady can't say a word. Thanks all for the good advice. I'm gunna do it just going to make sure brood hatches a cycle and get practice at it too.

When I'm booking Nuc's for spring, I let everyone know that if i'm not satisfied with the way a new queen is performing it may delay their nuc. If I wouldn't use one in my own apiary, I won't sell it. I make sure that the queens I raise are well formed and she's got at least an entire frame of her own brood capped prior to sale. Then when the customer comes to pick up the nuc, I pull each frame and let them see the amount of bees and brood, as well as the queen.

Really that's about all you can do, and make sure that you emphasize that they need to be reading, and going to an active club.
    Thomas Bartram

drlonzo is 100% right..See if your friend is reading books and reading here on BeeSource, ask him questions. If someone else sales him a nuc, you will still answer question about the nuc,,you are friends. Sale him a nuc like you bought for the price you paid. If he want study, he want need bees.

Sounds good. I'll do that. When he comes over he's always interested in the hives. I'll see if he learned from what I've bee showing him and telling him. I will sell to him and let him know this will be my first time so we can do it together because he may want to create a few for himself next year if they grow into a healthy hive that's big enough to split.