Cross your fingers northeast, here come the arctic temps - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Cross your fingers northeast, here come the arctic temps

Have we all forgot about last winter and the winter before that where the temps were much colder and hung around until Mid March?? This winter has been easy on the bees temperature wise. I personally like a good cold winter culls the heard for next season.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Woohoo -

40F today and bright sunshine (the thermometer in the sun reads 70F)

Saw bees flying. I don't know how many hives made it thru that arctic snap, but I know at least one did.

Dancing a jig.

Was very happy to see my bees flying around yesterday here in Central Jersey

Temps going to be in the 40s fri- sat time to check the sugar bricks

Quote Originally Posted by THALL View Post
    Have we all forgot about last winter and the winter before that where the temps were much colder and hung around until Mid March?? This winter has been easy on the bees temperature wise. I personally like a good cold winter culls the heard for next season.
    Well said!
    I am with you on this one. While I personally may get cold hands and feet, the "selection pressure" is one more step towards locally adapted hardy bees. -22 degrees F early on the 14th this year. Last year saw lows at -29 F. The winter before that was ugly too. But, for what it's worth, nearly all my queens were reared from mothers who survived one or both of these winters.

All of my colonies appear to have survived the minus 20F on Valentine's day and those two days of bitter wind chill.

On Tuesday, though, it was awful: temps above 55F lured the girls out but the cold rain squalls and howling wind chilled hundreds of them to death. So sad to see. But I'm pretty sure my colonies are still fine, nonetheless. The pair I'm watching for friend are also OK.

It was sunny, calm and cold (@30F) today but some of my intrepid girls were flying out for a few minutes at a time.

Only six more weeks until we hit April 1st and I can breathe a sigh of relief that my bees have survived another winter. The feral hive about 1200 feet from my bee yard was not so lucky. There was no evidence of them flying the last time we had a warm day.

Enj.

Too bad about that feral hive, enj. Maybe they'll surprise you.

My biggest hive is now coming outside no matter what the weather. They were the only activity today, but I could see a few sets of eyes when I peered into the upper entrance of another hive. I have no idea who's alive and who's not yet. But I do know the constant warm/cold snow/rain has made my driveway one big sheet of ice. Would be nice if winter stayed winter and spring stayed spring.

I'm so ready for April today was cold @ 20 degrees but the sun hitting the nice black tar paper on the hives food them into committing suicide I would say about 100 bees from 3 hives kind of thinking about taking it off

Just an update, I think that mid-February arctic blast may have killed one of my hives - which did not die immediately, but became queenless. I'm suspecting that because there was brood, the cluster got separated, and the cluster with the queen froze. I saw a dead small cluster on spring inspection. But there must have been another cluster or so in that hive because they still had a healthy population of bees come early spring, only no queen and scattered drone brood only, so laying workers. This was my biggest, hardiest hive up until that point.

I'm thinking this is the danger of a mild winter, promising January and early February, and then bam, very negative temps for 2 nights.

This has been an unkind Spring here. I've heard of a lot of late hive losses. Pollen is light. I'm already worried about the apples. I can forget about getting any peaches at all this year. Every single blossom was killed by early warm weather and the April snow / frost.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Frost the next couple of nights and my bees shipped yesterday. One hive of two has survived and is hauling in pollen. Weird winter and just as weird spring. At least its fairly warm during the day.
    Walt

We just came off a week of wonderful warm weather but daytime highes in the forties forecast for a couple days this week of rain. I get laughed at but my bees are still insulated and wrapped. Makes life harder for me but the bees are fine.

I took insulation off 3 hives that I went through the other day and brought it into the house. The other two hives are still wrapped, and that is fine with me. I remember our state bee inspector who comes from further north of me mentioning I believe June when he unwraps, because of the potential cold nights. It might have been May, but I seem to remember him saying June. Of course, some frost here and there is nothing compared to those nights in negative 10F. That's when I think colony damage occurs, if they have already started their spring brood buildup.

When I see nineties in the forecast and the tomato plants are well started outside I unwrap.

Mid July?

Quote Originally Posted by NewbeeInNH View Post
    Mid July?
    Naw. This is not the tundra but usually in last half of June and nights can be cold til July. My bees are at 5000 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    Mgolden;

Don't be giving away the secrets!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123