Cross your fingers northeast, here come the arctic temps
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cross your fingers northeast, here come the arctic temps

-9F to -15F tonight depending on your forecast source, in this area. Mid February, smaller clusters, probably with some brood in there... we'll see how this goes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Cross your fingers northeast, here come the arctic temps

It looks like the wind will be up also.

Yeah I'm a little concerned. Wasn't a week or so ago that I saw some activity at the entrances but this snap might be tough to get through. The heat lamp in the coop went out yesterday and last night the chickens were as cold as I've seen them in a long while. I guess it'll be better by early next week so fingers crossed.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

It was 15 degrees WARMER here this morning than yesterday. No wind yet to speak of. My wife has been scared off from going to an event today because of a band of 18" snow. I don't know what to think. My priorities for this morning will be bringing in more firewood and going to the dump. Bees hardly make the list, though I will be working on my class presentations for this week.

9 here now. Time will tell the tale. All the hives were humming yesterday. Good luck all.

5F today here -1F yesterday, and calling for single digits tomorrow. Then going up to the mid to upper thirties Monday Our long range is not calling for anymore severely cold weather after that. I do not think this short freeze will impact hives with good clusters or those that do not have a bunch of brood.
    Those guys who already started feeding pollen substitute earlier may be in trouble.

Today, Saturday, is the coldest day of this winter o date. High of only 12 with wind chills way below 0. Going to be 4 tonight with wind chill. But after that, Monday will be in high 30s then warm to in the 50's by weeks end.

I don't just hate winter for my bees, I just purely hate winter and winter weather.

A couple of winters ago I was sitting on a Caribbean beach drinking a rum cocktail. Why am I not there now?!

-7 here tonight - Heading out to South Carolina tomorrow with our spring queen source breeding hives which we winter here - hope they don't get bounced around too much in this cold!

Expecting to hear about a lot more dead outs at my club's February meeting after this weather. This may be the end for the marginal at best hives.
    Dan Boylan, When in doubt "It's mites".

Quote Originally Posted by DPBsbees View Post
    Expecting to hear about a lot more dead outs at my club's February meeting after this weather. This may be the end for the marginal at best hives.
    Fall swarm, questionable queen presence, small clusters, all got recombines in the fall. If they are dead, they are dead, but thinking I'll make out all right having recombined so many. At least I'm not worrying about them with the weather. =P

Right now it's windy and 5 deg F, a big change from last weekend when it got up to 51 deg on Sunday. All but one of the hives were out flying then. At home I noticed a lot of bees from my nucs in the backyard were at the heated bird bath picking up water most of the day. I guess that was a good sign. They were probably opening up some capped cells of honey, diluting it, and moving it closer to the cluster. That's what I'm hoping anyway. We'll see what happens next week. We all worry like a bunch of mother hens, don't we?
    To everything there is a season....

Kind of late to be worrying about hives not properly prepared for winter.

Some insulation under some black wraps takes the worry out of the equation.
    Zone 3b. If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

28 below F. here this morning at 4:30 A.M . Expecting similar tonight before the arctic front from the north west drifts through. I imagine the bees are snuggling up! We usually get a night or two around 40 below but this winter has been a bit milder.
    Frank

Some insulation under some black wraps takes the worry out of the equation.
    Yeah, but you're in Canada. Your bees probably grow their wool coats by December.

We usually get a night or two around 40 below but this winter has been a bit milder.
    Wow. If they can survive that, I guess we shouldn't worry so much.

Hives can survive 40F because insulation has been added. A black wrap only is adding next to zero insulation.

Further, adding a quilt box. narrowing down the bottom entrance and leaving a small top entrance greatly reduces the cooling down of the interior of the hive. The quilt box and minimal venting will manage the moisture.
    Zone 3b. If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Quote Originally Posted by mgolden View Post
    Hives can survive 40F because insulation has been added. A black wrap only is adding next to zero insulation.

Further, adding a quilt box. narrowing down the bottom entrance and leaving a small top entrance greatly reduces the cooling down of the interior of the hive. The quilt box and minimal venting will manage the moisture.
    Mgolden;

Don't be giving away the secrets!
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    Mgolden;

Don't be giving away the secrets!
    My bees are wrapped canuck style and it has been flying weather every day for two weeks and two weeks more forecast. The bees seem to be surviving it quite well munching away on that MC sugar.

Vance, totally agree and a good addition. Add a feed shim and add sugar blocks or MC some sugar.

Not to mention implementing a plan to mange varroa mites

Have a candy board with 8lbs of sugar block recipe on the underside. Just checked this AM and probe shows 64F on top side of plywood on top side of candy board.

Yikes! too warm inside the hive. Need to open the doors and windows! I am looking forward to opening the hives and needing to pull bees out via assembling NUCs, just to manage having too many bees.

Quote Originally Posted by mgolden View Post
    Vance, totally agree and a good addition. Add a feed shim and add sugar blocks or MC some sugar.

Not to mention implementing a plan to mange varroa mites

Have a candy board with 8lbs of sugar block recipe on the underside. Just checked this AM and probe shows 64F on top side of plywood on top side of candy board.

Yikes! too warm inside the hive. Need to open the doors and windows! I am looking forward to opening the hives and needing to pull bees out via assembling NUCs, just to manage having too many bees.
    Warm bees raise more brood. Its a wonderful thing!

no kidding.....sun out today so at least a little thermal heat. I heard this and thought of Lauri and her blankets. My kids wouldn't give them up. Good thing is the foot of snow around mine are keeping some drafts out

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast