Almond bloom - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Almond bloom

Default Re: Almond bloom

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    Actually not true...... Statistics say its Milk and then almonds. Lots of rice out there but nothing close to the milk and nuts...
    Crops

California grows over 200 different crops, some grown nowhere else in the nation. Crops include grapes, almonds, strawberries, oranges and walnuts.

California produces almost all of the country's almonds, apricots, dates, figs, kiwi fruit, nectarines, olives, pistachios, prunes, and walnuts. It leads in the production of avocados, grapes, lemons, melons, peaches, plums, and strawberries. Only Florida produces more oranges.

The most important vegetable crops grown in the state are lettuce and tomatoes. Again, California leads the way. Broccoli and carrots rank second followed by asparagus, cauliflower, celery, garlic, mushrooms, onions, and peppers. Only Texas grows more cotton than California.

Hay, rice, corn, sugar beets, and wheat are also grown in large quantities.
    Livestock

Livestock and livestock products include milk, beef cattle, eggs, sheep, turkeys, hogs and horses. Dairy products are California's most valuable products followed by cattle and calves and chicken eggs.

California is the second ranked producer of livestock products behind Texas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

It's been kind of a flash bloom.... about 6-7 days and full petal fall in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by MNbees View Post
    any one in southern region with an update?
    http://bluediamondgrowers.com/february-23-2016-3/

As ussual if you sent boomers they had ample opportunity and temps to gain wait. Least in the north. Today we were out shaking bees for grafting and came across a 20 framer in an 16 frame configuration that had burr comb jammed underneath a bottom board and attached to the pallet. Unique thing was that it was full of nectar. Not sure if I have ever seen that before. Lots of loads movimg out this morning.

We were very grateful to get our bees out this evening before the big rush.
    This was the shortest bloom BY FAR of all of the years we have been in business.
    Our bees were delivered in the orchards on February 9th with just a flower here, and a flower there to be seen.
    Here we are loading them up, 21 days later for the trip back home.
    As we are loading I am thinking, "Most of the bees that are emerging today were eggs that were layed in Oregon prior to their trip south!!"
    We did inspect a number of hives and found SOLID brood!!!!
    Good pollen stores. Some nectar.
    You may want to look for yourself, but I would encourage you not to skimp on syrup feeding from what we saw.
    WEIRD YEAR, beautiful bees!
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

I checked a few hives I threw in for a co-worker's 6 acres. Lots of pollen, good brood patterns, not a whole lot of nectar. There was some, but pretty sure it wasn't even almond but I was happy with the way the hives were looking.

We have received about 10 loads back and it sure seems like the bees took on lots of fungicide. How are the bees looking for everyone? I am hoping the rest of my loads look a bit better.

I wouldn't doubt it babybee... when I was dropping bees off at night, the whirly birds in the area were still going strong and I know the co-workers sprayed at least 3-4 times during bloom with various stuff. Saw many growers spraying during the day as well, luckily the coworkers are small enough to do it at night, but can't speak for the rest of the growers all around that area, and with the volumes of trees now, I'm sure everyone sprays at all hours just to get it done.

I am hearing of beekeepers that have had their bees totally killed in the almonds this year, based on what I have seen with my bees I am not that shocked. I guess the almond board is paying for all samples of dead bees sent in via the bee informed partnership. So it must be a big deal this year. For the first time ever, I am wondering if it is worth it for me to send hives. I think we lost a full round of brood, and the old bees remaining have a long road ahead of themselves to clean it up.

Some others need to chime in on this. I've heard the same from half a dozen or so beeks In the last week.

I saw a lot of spraying going on during daylight hours in the orchards. No idea what they were spraying, but the workers were in full protective gear including respirators.

Not sure how widespread it all was but i will try to attatch pictures sent to me by a beek with hives in the yolo colusa area. I helped get the beeinformed gents involved as it was beyond serious. From the looks of the pics im gonna guess they ran into some IGR's along the way. Pretty bad. If anyone else has seen or heard of anything similar let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yep, that's what we have in our bees.

I've certainly seen some of this in years past. Early indications so far for our bees are pretty good but we haven't had been in enough hives to really get much of a read on them.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

This is what mine looked like last year. I dealt with problems all summer. I requeened treated for mites and treated for European Foulbrood. It all helped until I moved to my winter yard in Cali. then they started dieing again. Sixty five hives died in two weeks and fifty more knocked down any where from one framers to six framers. I have sixty left that went to the almonds this year. So far they look good. I wish everyone good luck and hope people post on here how to straighten out the bees when this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by babybee View Post
    We have received about 10 loads back and it sure seems like the bees took on lots of fungicide.
    Fungicide, or tank mix of ???
    I would contact your broker and let them know that your bees will not be returning to that orchard.
    Spray problems only occur when we as beekeepers allow it to happen.
    We started a new blanket policy 5 years ago that states that, "We will not take our bees ANYWHERE, where they come out looking worse than when they were delivered."
    We immediately dropped a very good paying seed contract and the next year another small seed contract.
    Although we were worried about it at first, we are money ahead when the bees are in top shape all season long.
    If all of the beekeepers that pollinate the areas with spray damage would opt out to their brokers, changes WOULD happen.
    Until then, it will be "Groundhog Day" every year for your bees.
    I won't allow it.
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    I've certainly seen some of this in years past. Early indications so far for our bees are pretty good but we haven't had been in enough hives to really get much of a read on them.
    Are your bees out of the almonds now Jim? Mine went to the same folks as you but I asked to go into a later blooming variety so they wouldn't get back to North Dakota too early. They unloaded one of your trucks the day I left California for home. My bees were in the same field as yours.

Early returns look pretty decent with just a little scattered damage but still a lot of votes to be counted.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

The almond game certainly comes with risks; hope everyone's damage is minimal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast