West Virginia - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: West Virginia

Default Re: West Virginia

Valley Grove, WV 26060 Ohio county. In a rose of Sharon bush 20 feet from my trap. Nice size swarm 5 or 6 pounds. Only inches off the ground.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

6/27 Sherrard, WV. This one is no fun to report it was out of one of mine. exactly at 1pm out of a nuc I made this spring with one of my 2 best queens. They had filled 5 over 5 and I just added a third box last week but it was undrawn plastic foundation and I guess they didn't use it or were already set on leaving. I'll check and see what's up in a few. Maybe break out the queen castle and get some of her off spring. They are balling about 30 feet up as I write. Man it hurts, it's sooo many bees. Come back! The branch they are in is hanging over a dense multiforal rose thicket so I don't really see a way to get them. If i got a rope around branch and shook they would just fall in in underbrush. Canopy to dense to get with bucket and pole, not that I even have one. Farewell blue hive queen you served me well. I have a swarm trap at my mom's house about a mile away, maybe I'll get lucky.

Wheeling, WV 26003
    9/20
    My niece texted me earlier today and said there was a swarm on a parking meter in Wheeling. I didn't get done with work until a little after 7 but my buddy was done earlier so I sent him for it. It was still there at 6, no one wants a September swarm. He said he wasn't sure how to get them off of the meter (newbee). He said he would stay there and lay "claim" to them until I got done. I got there around 7:20 gone by 7:25. Small swarm, queen was easy to spot. I put her and a handful of bees in the nuc box and told my friend goodbye. He said "what?!!". I explained that they would all walk in soon and then all he had to do was close the entrance and take them home. He just texted and said 99% went in the box.

Leon, WV 25123
    4-9-17

First swarm of the season. They came in at 4:35pm but they scouted it in mass all day. They swarmed to my empty top bar hive I had bees in last year, just left the old comb and added LGO.

0409171644-00.jpg
    Last edited by QueenlessDrone; 04-09-2017 at 03:39 PM. Reason: added photo

Leon, WV
    4/11/17

Caught 2nd swarm this year in my 2nd empty top bar hive. No pic, and don't know exact time. They were there when we got home. Before 3pm

Leon WV
    4/19/17

Neighbors 2 hives swarmed to nearby tree, they were caught and put in a box. From 4-5pm.

Glen Dale WV 26038. Swarm in trap. 10 frame deep with swarm commander.

Proctor, WV 26055. Swarm trap 10 deep swarm commander. Already bringing in pollen. Haven't checked this trap in a while so not sure how long they have been there.

4/27 Moundsville, WV 26041
    4/28 Triadelphia , WV 26059
    Both 10 deep traps with swarm commander

4/28 Leon WV 25123
    Neighbor caught his first swarm in his Top Bar Hive baited with lemon grass oil.

7/3 noon Tunnelton, WV
    Caught a swarm in a trap set in an apple tree.
    Baited with lemongrass in wax puck. Also, squirt of swarm commander at entrance.
    3lb+ ?

Swarm in Lick Run Valley 07-03-17 (2).jpg
    Last edited by clong; 07-03-2017 at 11:59 AM.

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

I caught a swarm last year on June 23, 2017. I was all excited to catch my first swarm. Turned out to be out of my own hive.
    They landed on the ground. I put down a nuc with some lemongrass oil and they marched in. Then the crazy things spent the next three days swarming and reswarming, over and over, before finally settling in. I never did see a queen. They didn't make it through winter.

Fairmont, WV 26554 (near Morgantown)

swarm1.jpg

swarm2.jpg
    Last edited by wvgrrl; 03-28-2018 at 06:57 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123