Virginia - Page 9
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Virginia

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Considered that also. Even asked the beekeeper if had open queen cells in the hive that swarmed. He did not know. I put the nuc out on the hive stand and opened it up this afternoon. Bees making orentation flights and the queen is still in the clip. Tomorrow I am putting these bees in a 10 frame and will look for another queen before marking and releasing this one. Color will depend on what I find. Mutiple queens means Blue dots, single queen means a Green one.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Color will depend on what I find. Mutiple queens means Blue dots, single queen means a Green one.
    ...or a red dot, or a yellow dot!

True in most cases with swarms of unknown origins. Even a white one, but that is highly unlikely. This particular case is different. This is the queen, or a daughter of the queen, I sold him in a nuc last spring. I hadn't started marking queens yet, so I dont know for sure which. At most she is one year old.

Funny in a way. Last year I sold him two nucs. This year I got one of them back. Presumably with the same queen.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Ha! I see.

I've got one yellow dot this year. She's Martha, got her from Mike Palmer. She's doing exceptionally well building a nuc up.

Last Friday, 3/20 a swarm trap about 5 miles N of downtown Richmond was getting hit heavily. About 30 bees visible on the outside and just inside the entrance. There were roughly another 50 bees inside the trap. They were walking around calmly. It didn't look like scouting behavior.

Could they have been bees that got separated from a swarm in the area?

In any case, with JW's recent capture, it looks like swarm season is ramping up in Central Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Funny in a way. Last year I sold him two nucs. This year I got one of them back. Presumably with the same queen.
    This sounds like a good business model to me- 'Palmer's Rent-A-Queen'.
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Caught a small swarm yesterday near Bon Secours in Mechanicsville. Homeowners said they’d been there since Thursday. Thanks for the call Ed.

Had a hive swarm yesterday in Scottsville VA. 24590

Default Re: Virginia

One of my hives swarmed today- a BIG swarm. Did not catch it. Richmond 23220 near Byrd Park.

If you see them, tell them to head south. I have traps in the Manchester area.

I can still see it in the top of my neighbor’s tree!

Another swarm today but they swarmed to an empty hive I had waiting for them.

Good girls. Give them extra sugar.

Got one 4//5 in a “Swarm Trap” mad out of an upside down top feeder with a medium on top. Goochland
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool. Use what you have, the bees don't care.

23139 Powhatan. Caught my first swarm of the year, was as easy as it gets. Three feet off the ground hanging on a small limb, one shake into a deep super, 5 minutes later all were in the box, happy as can be.
    Wish they all were this easy.

April 6th- 8th, 2020 6-8 pounds

A fellow beekeeper went out to do his first swarm catch in Goochland, VA on 4/6. It was a very long cluster, stretched out on a grapevine. He used a 10-frame medium hive with bottom board, and scooped them in. He called me asking for a second box. We both did our best to shoo them in by nightfall, but couldn't complete the job that evening. It was obvious that some of the bees were reluctant to move in. The next day, the homeowner reported hearing a roar around 1pm. It seems there was a second queen. About 3/4 of the bees still remained. They were picked up on the evening of the 4/7/20. The following day, a cluster of bees were still refusing to move in. Finally, they re-swarmed(?) to a nearby tree. A queen with a red mark was found in the baseball-sized cluster. Apparently, there were at least three queens in this swarm.
    Last edited by clong; 04-09-2020 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Corrected dates

04/09/20 Bees were heavily scouting two boxes at my place. One was a swarm trap, and one was an empty hive. They chose well.

Corona Swarm.jpg

Life is good when the bees do all the work for you! Congratulations on your swarm capture.

Quote Originally Posted by clong View Post
    They chose well.

Corona Swarm.jpg
    Way to go, clong. Is this colony hereafter assigned the moniker of Corona based on your photo caption?
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast