Virginia - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Virginia

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

4/14 Goochland County 5:30pm. Heavy scouting at swarm trap. 10-20 bees.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Va Beach. Caught a swarm in a trap on 4/15/19 and another one on 4/20/19.

Virginia Beach. Small swarm moved into bait box 4/18/19.

Whetstone Trap thermal pic.jpg

North Chesterfield, VA. Small swarm (1 lb?) moved in on 4/23 or 4/24.

Swarm moved into a bait box. Powhatan, 23139. 4/24

Aylett, 23009. Had two nucs swarm Sunday 4/28. Shook one, the other is too high up to get. Set bait hive. Swarm still in tree 4/29.

Centralia, no idea when. Story on this one. Set a bait hive in a tree at a friend's house two years ago. No hits. Rebaited last Spring. He sells his house and tells me to come get the box today. He says no bees. Get there and climb the ladder. Hmm. Bees. Not prepared. Slap some duct tape over the opening and bring it home, an hours drive. Set the trap on the hive stand and opened it up. Brood comb fell to the bottom. Some idiot only put five frames in a six frame box, wonder where they decided to build comb? Anyhow, got all the comb rubber banded into frames and watched them for awhile. Seems to be ok. Praying the queen did not get injured when the comb fell. Good solid laying pattern of capped brood with plenty of eggs and young larvae. Estimate the swarm moved in around first week of April.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Aylett, 23009. Had two nucs swarm Sunday 4/28. Shook one, the other is too high up to get. Set bait hive. Swarm still in tree 4/29.

Centralia, no idea when. Story on this one. Set a bait hive in a tree at a friend's house two years ago. No hits. Rebaited last Spring. He sells his house and tells me to come get the box today. He says no bees. Get there and climb the ladder. Hmm. Bees. Not prepared. Slap some duct tape over the opening and bring it home, an hours drive. Set the trap on the hive stand and opened it up. Brood comb fell to the bottom. Some idiot only put five frames in a six frame box, wonder where they decided to build comb? Anyhow, got all the comb rubber banded into frames and watched them for awhile. Seems to be ok. Praying the queen did not get injured when the comb fell. Good solid laying pattern of capped brood with plenty of eggs and young larvae. Estimate the swarm moved in around first week of April.
    JW,

Good story. Glad it worked out. Are you saying they built only one enormous comb?

One of the local beekeepers around here told a story of beating a pot to entice a swarm down from the trees. It did end up descending to a lower branch, but still out of reach. You can always give that a try with the wayward nuc.

On the first part, one big comb was on the lid and broke off. That one pretty much filled a deep frame. Another section of comb was attached to the side of the box. Cut that off and put in a second frame. One frame of foundation was partially drawn.

As far as beating on a pot, have you ever been on a snipe hunt?
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Just as a followup, the swarm I caught in Centralia stayed in it's 6 frame trap until last week when I transfered it to a 10 frame deep. It has drawn out only 2-1/2 additional frames in the past month so today I put a feeder on it. At least three of my designated production hives swarmed. Two were captured and a third was lost to the trees. All the hives that swarmed are again Q+ with capped brood in them but unfortunantly, all the honey is in the brood frames, most foundationless, and none in the supers. I may try to extract some of it on slow speed. At least there were no swarm cells in any of the hives I inspected today. I think we are over that particular hurdle for this season.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678