Texas - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Texas

Default Re: SWARM DATES AND INFO 2016

75570...Bowie County
    Answered a call and brought a swarm home Saturday April 2nd. They left Sunday evening even though I had put a frame of eggs, brood and larva in the box with them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: SWARM DATES AND INFO 2016

Lockhart, Texas. 04/06/2016. Caught a good-sized swarm on a Retama tree, eye-level along someone's fence line. Easy peasy.
    Bees in my hives are very active for the last few weeks. Lots of coming and going.

Default Ha Lucky in my own yard

So I was mad dashing through the yard doing a few quick things to set stuff up for this weekend. Was handling my nucs without smoke and they were testy. So finished with the most defensive one, walked around the corner of the old corral into the barn and into my make shift woodshop to leave the followers behind. Left the cloud behind and then walked back into the yard. As I passed beside the corner of the corral and immediately I was surrounded by bees again, but no close flybys or head butts. I walked into the yard and they left me.

Stopped scratching my head and turned around. There on the vines and top rail of the corral. A swarm the side of a volleyball.

Ran to the barn grabbed a nuc box , ran into the bee yard, yanked open the last nuc and grabbed a frame of brood, dropped a new frame in, then added 4 frames to the nuc, put a bottom on and walked over to the swarm. Gently brushed them into the nuc, it basically almost overflowed.

Ran grabbed a medium, tossed in 5 more frames including 3 with partial comb. Put that in the middle of the medium, slide the frame of brood now covered with bees in, then knocked the rest of them in the box. Put it resting on the the corner rails of the corral and watched for a minute as they started fanning then as the rest marched right in. This was the first captured swarm in my bee yard.

Then ran for the house to shower and make it to my daughters softball game. 19-1 win go sharks.

But there is something special about boxing up one of your own swarms. Good day
    Started 9/13, building slowly, not trying the no treatment anymore

Default Re: Swarm

So far this year I have been able to get 3 swarms. Knowing your local exterminator makes it easy. 3/30/16 was about 10 inch size so very small but is doing good and saw the queen this weekend. Next one was on 4/01/2016 and was 12 inch and is also doing good and saw the queen this weekend. The 3rd one was kind of a cut out in a cable box and had a little bit of comb. They didn't like what I had to offer and left after 6 days. 2 out of three for a new Beek isn't too bad I think. Really enjoying it and the 2 swarms are very gentle and require little smoke if any.

Yesterday 7-18-2016 harvested a big swarm here in Shackleford County.
    Of course now worried about it getting built up enough for winter.

Titus County

Swarm from one hive in out yard.
    Bee management is like a flowing river, persistent and ever changing.

75570 Bowie county, very Northeast corner of the state. I got a football sized swarm yesterday evening

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

3/27/2017 in Cypress, Texas. A swarm moved into a cable box which was one of the larger ones, about 10 inch. Must have been a hive there in the past as there was old comb in the cover but the only thing in this comb was a lot of water and a small amount of nectar. Used my homemade 5 gallon bucket beevac for the first time and worked well. Over 1/2 a bucket of bees but I don't know if I got the queen. Wait and see.

4/1/2017
    Texarkana, Tx 75503 Bowie county. Got my biggest swarm ever of a semi tire. The driver was happy to see me.

4/2/2017
    78659, Bastrop County, Central Texas
    The swarm came from my Africanized hive, larger than a softball smaller than basketball. I found them my the bottle brush tree at about chest height, about 30 feet from the original hive. The bees were probably in the tree for a couple of hours. I captured the swarm and installed them with honey and brood in an empty borrowed hive. I split that hive and my Italian hive two weeks before hopping to prevent a swarm, wishful thinking from a new beekeeper. The Africanized hive swarmed with no warning, no bearding and late in the day, after 3pm. I can't wait to requeen.

78642 Liberty Hill, Central Texas (Hill Country)= North west of Austin - Beyond Leander(West)
    Got a football sized swarm in my Oak Tree that was about 6 and a half ft off the ground. Had to cut a few branches and then put them in a Nuc Box by shaking them. I got about 80% of them on a shake. The rest air borne flew back to the tree. I was able to get them in my gloves scooping them up and putting them in front of the entrance where the fanning was happening by the bees.
    Trick was to have a frame of honey and brood available. 2 frames in a Nuc Box. Tonight I will move the box to the bee stand and put frames in tommorow night. I believe these are Africanized, so re-queening will be very soon.

78363 Kingsville, South Texas
    Got two feral swarms Monday March 19, 2018 3:30 pm
    Both swarms were in Mesquite trees about 10'-13' high and 30' apart from each other. They were basketball in size if not bigger, probably 3-4 pounds.
    I got both swarms down out of the Mesquite trees and hived them. They are both now currently working on their comb. I like free bees.
    29425588_1734844573242083_1555092252110356480_n.jpg

29496522_1734844533242087_6998323993908346880_n.jpg

75189 Blackland Texas
    Neighbors bees swarmed 4/04/2109 just after lunchtime basketball sized swarm in a 5' cedar tree.
    He recaptured the swarm in a 10 frame brood box.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678