Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Texas

60K views 153 replies 66 participants last post by  JimD 
#1 · (Edited)
Lesson learned,

Tuesday, 6-12, went and took down an owl house a gentleman had built and placed about 15' in a tree, he said the bees had been there about a week. Gently took it down and put it in the back of my truck, was going to take them out Wed. When I opened it up the next day, i found that the comb had fallen crushing many of the bees. I couldn't find the queen, but I gave them a frame of brood, and will check them next week. If I can't find eggs, I'll pull the queen cells and combine them with a weaker colony.

Mark

#105 ·
Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

First swarm in trap today, 4/11/2014. High was 87, very windy but sunny, feral swarm from woods, South Texas, zone 9b. Same tree I caught 2 swarms last spring;)

#112 · (Edited)

Top Bar Hive swarmed 1030am 6/18/14 Central Texas. Weather is overcast after heavy storms and 86F. Small swarm moved about 15 feet and landed in a cedar tree about 5 feet off the ground. Swarm was gone by 630pm but lots of scouts were still returning and flying circles. Wife saw it but it left before I got home.

#115 ·

Got my 2nd swarm yesterday on 2/8 in Placedo, Tx on the Gulf Coast. Another volleyball sized swarm.

My first swarm has absconded even with a bar of open and capped brood from another hive.:(

#119 ·

4/5/2015. Victoria, Tx

Caught a huge swarm today and hived it. Then checked my 9 traps and had swarms in 4. Got to watch and video a huge swarm move into a trap. Was afraid they were not going to fit inside.

#123 ·

Two swarm calls

1. Devine Texas 78016 but when I called to make sure it was still there she said it had left
Tree Branch Plant Woody plant Trunk

2. San Antonio TX 78239. My first searm capture. Nice swarm in a tree. Got them in a deep box. Seemed pretty aggressive. Every time I brushed them off the tree about 50-100 bees started hitting my vail and would follow me for about 100 yards.

#124 ·

Two swarm calls 4/13/2015

1. Devine Texas 78016 but when I called to make sure it was still there she said it had left
View attachment 17254

2. San Antonio TX 78239. My first searm capture. Nice swarm in a tree. Got them in a deep box. Seemed pretty aggressive. Every time I brushed them off the tree about 50-100 bees started hitting my vail and would follow me for about 100 yards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.