Tennessee
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennessee

Hybrid View

Default Tennessee

5/26 First Swarm from a NUC I picked up on the 21st of May. They set down at 70 feet high, no chance to get them...

A farm worker found a swarm going into a hole in the base of a large oak tree. I don't know where they came from, possibly off one of my 7 hives. 08/30/2007

One swarm moved into a swarm box on 5/24/2008 - 13850
    One swarm took off as we (my son and I) were walking up to it on 5/26/2008 - 13732
    One swarm moved into a swarm box on 5/27/2008 - 13850
    One swarm in a honeysuckle (captured) at the airport 5/27/2008 - 13901

So, the season has started with the first break in the weather here. We had a stellar Memorial day weekend.
    Last edited by Jeffzhear; 05-29-2008 at 09:38 PM. Reason: to fix a mistake

One more swarm took residence in a NUC Box at 13850 today.
    Last edited by Jeffzhear; 05-27-2008 at 01:01 PM. Reason: fixed a grammatical error

5/29 1 swarm hived - 13827
    5/29 2 swarms hived - 18812
    5/29 1 swarm hived - 13850

13790 Swarm in Swarm Box on 6/2/2008
    18812 Swarm in Swarm Box on 6/2/2008

Default A hive that swarmed.

Hive swarmed. Swasrm was about the size of 2 basketballs.

06-09-08 @ 8:30am. 38111 zip.

Temps in the 90's for about the past week with no rainfor the last 8 days.

Watched them fly from a hive that contained a swarm captured 04-08. They landed in an oak tree about 50' up. When we attempted to capture the swarm the bucket was about 5' shy of reaching them. Bucket was then gently let down careful to not disturbe the swarm. Went to retrive a latter to gain the distance, took about 10 minutes to do so. Returned to observe the tail end of the swarm leaving and could not relocate it. From time swarm left the hive to time they left their staging position was about 2 1/2 hours total.

Hive was 2 deeps both boxes contained about 3 or 4 empty frames each. With screened bottom board. Pollen trap on the main entrence. Pollen production had dropped from about 1 lb per day to about 4oz per day for about 3 days prior to swarmming. No other hives have swarmed in this apiary however there are hives that are more populated than this one was.

Would like to say Merry Christmas in June to whomever may recive this swarm and may they be productive for you.
    P.S. The queen will be marked "Red".

13760 6/10 one moved into a swarm box.
    13760 6/11 one moved into an empty stacked hive
    13827 6/11 one moved into a swarm box.

I lost a swarm on April 19 -15 miles east of Memphis TN. -Rookie Mistake.

I captured a small swarm of feral bees that balled up in a cedar tree near my hives last Saturday. They were trying to rob my hives.

Default Nashville, TN 4/9/09

Bees had gone into wall. Possible that owner killed queen when he sprayed the bees that had gotten into a large walk-in closet through the breaker box.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

May 4th Gallatin TN. 2 1/2 pounds 25 feet up in a pine tree.

Got a basketball sized swarm today. It was on the ground in a field of two-foot tall grass making capturing it a challenging three-hour process. I couldn't shake them into the box or scoop them up so I started picking as many up by hand as I could, but that was like herding cats. Then I lucked out and found the queen. Once she was inside I just sat back and watched them go in.

5-19-2010 medium sized swarm from East Knoxville, TN.

One of my hives swarmed yesterday: 6-5-10

Finally!!! 2 small swarms.

Something told me to walk in my neighbor's yard. He has a hive there that I manage. My shoulder is in too bad a shape to be pulling boxes off to look at frames. But 2 days ago I took all off but the brood chamber with is a high and medium. All of the other boxes were almost full of honey and capped honey. Was a little brood mixed in but not much. Added another super as the 4th box from the bottom. (I have been in severe pain and taking pain killers since I looked in the hive!!!!

Anyway something told me to walk over there and it was getting toward dusk. As I was walking up to the hive I heard bees but it didn't register at first. Walking back I heard them again. It was coming from the plum tree not far from the hive. There were bees in several places on the tree and some on the ground. Carefully moved the bees around on the ground and saw the queen. Went and got me a 5 frame medium nuc with 2 frames of honey. Put the box in front of the bees and they started marching into the box. All except the queen and those that were all around her. Finally to a small stick and pushed the ball of bees and queen up onto the entrance and left.

Other bees were still in the tree but only in one spot. Swarm on the ground was not a lot of bees but the queen looked mated. The second swarm is about 3 times larger which still isn't saying much. Softball size??

Will look in the AM and see if the swarm is still in the tree. If it is, I will hive it in a 3 frame high nuc. Leaving tomorrow for 2 weeks to see my family in SC and go to the beach. Either they make it or they don't. Will close up the entrances on both so that they are only around 1 bee in width.
    Last edited by Barry; 06-08-2010 at 10:07 PM.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Murfreesboro, TN

Swarm in a tree at least 20 feet up. My yard so it's from one of my hives. Could be an abscond instead of swarm. Opened up 1 hive today that I had been nursing along and it was devestated with WM, WML, WMP. Pulled out most of the frames and left in open.
    De Colores,
    Ken

M'boro

Got a call about a swarm night of 7/1. Close to the ground on a small holly tree. Maybe 4 or 5 lbs. Hived them on 7/2 with a tarp on the ground. Came back last night to pick them up after dark. Someone had pulled the tarp up part of the box and another part was pulled over. Dead bees. Checked hive and there were still a lot of bees when I put it out at a farm.
    De Colores,
    Ken

7/23/10
    Murfreesboro, TN

2 swarms. 1 in peach tree with queen and as many bees as possible inside a butterfly house. Had already started building comb. Also a small swarm on the outside of a nuc that was a swarm I had gotten a week or so ago.

Small swarm by nuc. Found unmated queen in a ball of bees on the ground in front of the nuc. Put her and as many of the bees as possible in a medium nuc.

Larger swarm in tree/butterfly house. Unscrewed bottom of house and shook out all of the bees and also shook out the bees that were on the limb above into high nuc below branch. Saw a mated queen.

Later in day I saw a ball of bees on top of high nuc frames. It was the unmated queen or another one just like her. Put her in a small box for a couple of hours. Decided to see what would happen if I let her out by the high nuc. Bees immediately balled her. Put her in medium nuc and she went in between the frames.

Larger swarm absconded back to tree. Every now and then they would swarm out only to return to the peach tree. Put the butterfly house back on tree.

Smaller swarm in medium seemed to be okay.

Larger swarm moved back into butterfly house. I had captured a lot of bees in a small wooden box I had made sometime back. Moved the high nuc away from tree facing a wooden fence and put up a lot of sticks in front. Added a frame of brood that contained larva. Opened up the wood box of bees and dumped some inside top. Many stayed put. Moved the butterfly house and laid by the nuc. Finally had to open the bottom of the house and shake the bees and queen into the top of the box and put top back on nuc. Bees stayed. and were there today 7/25/10.

Can't figure out that unmated queen. Why she would be in front of a nuc containing a swarm. Why she would leave a nuc I put her in with bees and fly over to another swarm where the bees continuously attacked her.

Well 1 out of 2 ain't bad.
    De Colores,
    Ken

7/28/10
    M'boro, TN

Noticed a small swarm on a small globe that is on a metal stake. Since I knew a globe was there I knew that this couldn't be much of a swarm. But I put a 5-frame medium under it on 2 bricks. Nuc has a screened bottom. Closed down the small entrance further and added just 4 frames. 3 of the frames have some brood comb.

Well, they all went into the nuc by night fall. As I was putting the cover on the nuc............... a moth flew towards the nuc.................but I got the cover on first.

May or may not make it. Willing to see if there is a queen and if she is mated or gets mated and what kind of layer she becomes. Have a couple other hives that are not doing so well so a combine is possible.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast