Rhode Island

Thread: Rhode Island

Default Rhode Island

I came home about noon on 7-11-09 and witnessed one of the hives swarming. Amazing sight, the air was filled with bees spiraling up wards and they were buzzing up a storm! They landed about 35 feet up a tree and only 30 feet away from their hive. 24 hours later I watched them move up and over the tree line and they were gone in about a minute.

Today 7-22-09 I spotted a swarm in a tree about 35 foot up and only 25 feet from the hives. I didn't see this one leave but I would imagine that they are my bees. This time I put a box out with some drawn comb and capped honey.
    Hopefully I can get em back.

I guess I should invest in a couple swarm traps & pheromone lures for the next time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Rhode Island

What is needed:

• zip code, city or county
    • date when the bees swarmed or when you found the swarm.
    • comments - example: if the swarm came from your hive, or if you were called to pick up a swarm, how long was it there. This is not for cutouts unless the bees just took up residence and are not established. It would also be great to include a small photo of the swarm.

This forum is not for general discussion.
    Regards, Barry

Default Re: Rhode Island

guess i should add this here..

Bristol,RI
    5/10 swarm that landed in a tree near my hives.

Not from one of my hives. queen is much darker. really pretty and hoping to requeen one of my hives with her eventually. They are drawing out plastic frames in a deep nuc at the moment and have brood.