Pennsylvania - Page 3
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pennsylvania

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Never saw a swarm in action WOW! Unfortunalty its mine. Landed in a elderberry bush about 100 foot away. Scrambled to get equiptment to capture but that failed. Did want to start another hive but thats just how it happens. Hoping the original hive can rebiuld for winter.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Pennsylvania

It's on!!!!! One of my hives swarmed today and landed on a fence about 20' from the hive. 19320 Pretty nice size. Found the queen, put her in the nuc. . . They wouldn't all go in a 5 frame nuc, but did once I put a second on top. WOO HOO!!!

Sorry I didn't give times / teps. About 1:30 and it's 70 degrees today.
    Last edited by delber; 04-14-2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: more info

WestGrove, Pa yesterday a swarm landed and they called me this morning. By the time I got there most of them were gone. I left a box there just in case. The LGO and queen juice seemed to greatly attract the straggler "scouts" that were still hanging around. That was very cool to see. Bummer that we were less than an hour late because I called the home owner and she said that they were still there so I went.

First swarm call of the year! Worthville, PA 15784.

Lady called me and asked if I did "cutouts" of honeybees. "Well," I said, "I do pick up swarms, but haven't done a cutout. Do you have bees in a building, or bees in a tree?" She said "They are on a pine tree branch. They have been there since yesterday."

I got her information, left work early, got home and grabbed my equipment and went there. Sure enough, a swarm was on several pine tree branches in one clump about 2 feet off the ground. Just enough clearance to get a hive underneath it and I shook the branch. Instantly bees started to take flight. (I've always seen the videos where the whole clump falls into the box and stays there.) I pulled the hive from underneath the branch, put in the frames that I took out, put the inner cover on and the lid.

There were all kinds of bees flying around, but were fanning at the entrance, but wasn't sure if that was because I got the queen or because I was using a swarm trap hive that had lemongrass oil on it. Slowly the cloud of bees flying around got smaller and smaller and I noticed the bees on the entrance were fanning. By the time I left, the "cloud" of bees were all in the hive with only a few bees still flying around - soI did get the queen.

I left it there and will pick it up tonight, after all the stranglers and scouts have found their new home!

Swarm caught about 3# pounds placed inside foundationless nuc box. Waiting till night to move them to a more permenant location. Tryed the white sheet method but must not have got the queed because the flew over to another hive. Got the other cluster that was on the box I tried to put them in originaly. Sprayed them with sugar water and shook them into the Nuc box. Put the cover on and left it cracked open. Everybody slowly moved. Must have got the queen then. Hope they stay.

Swarm in Summerville, PA 15864 today at the neighbors. They called my home phone and left a message. After they called the county extension office and was told a swarm usually only sticks around for a few hours, they called another beekeeper who came and got them. It was a warm day - high 70's and drizzled this afternoon.

I don't think they were mine. Out of my two hives, I split one and the other one I added a hive body to. All hives seemed to have the normal amount of bees coming and going this evening.

I do know a feral swarm flew over our place and was heading in the direction of this neighbor's place 2 years ago, so i'm assuming it was another feral swarm.

I had a swarm trap out, but they must not have been interested in it.

Swarm in Summerville, PA 15864

Came home after being gone all day, and as I'm getting out of the car, I notice a swarm in a cherry tree about 30' from my beehives, about 7' high. Probably a 2 1/2 - 3 # swarm.

I cut the branch with the swarm on it, and laid it in front of a hive which was on top of a sheet. They immediately spread out and started heading to and into the hive. I kept watching for the queen, and sure enough I spotted her. Nice bright orange color.

But I don't think this swarm was from any of my hives.

5/6 caught, donated to the local bee club. Not quite sure if it was mine. They landed on the back of a nuc box I hived a swarm in earlier in the week. Saw them in the air while cutting the grass and watched them cluster there.

found one in levittown pa by the first fedral bank in levittown knee high in a pine bush sad thing is no way for me to get it and really neet to stand in the middle of it

Swarm today 11:00 am. Very small, I believe this was an afterswarm from the hive that swarmed last Sunday. Caught it but lost it. Didn't think they would have chewed there way out of a shoe box so quickly. I didn't have a spare hive till I moved a swarm I caught and put in a nuc earlier. Hived the nuc today then went to hive the swarm and what do I find about a dozen holes chewed through the box and no bees. That was only about a three hour time frame they were there. Couldn't relocate them oh well. Iguess its a good thing I didn't put them in the garage to keep cool like I was going to. That would have been interesting.

caught the swarm in levittown pa about a small football size weather sunny warm and windy

One of my very robust hives swarmed last Sunday, 5/6/2012.
    I am in NW PA, and it was probably in the low to mid-60s.

Summerville, PA 15864 Got a call today from the local pest control company. They went to a house to kill a "nest" of bees and arrived to find a swarm. So they called me. When I got there, the guy said "After I talked to you on the phone, I found another swarm." I asked what he meant, and he said "There are two swarms here." The first one was a smaller swarm - probably 1 - 1 1/2 #, and the other swarm was about the same size. First swarm on a shrub about 1 1/2 ' high, the second on a pine tree 8' up. I quickly caught the lower swarm by shaking it directly into the hive. Instead of going and getting a second box, I figured I would combine them, so shook the other swarm into a bucket and dumped them in. The owner said they had been in one cluster and then broke into two. I figure the queen can fight it out. While talking to him, I noticed bees coming and going from his roof eaves - Oh, that is where this swarm came from! Sounds like a good place to put a swarm trap next year.

Brockway, PA 15824 Got another call from the pest control company. A swarm on a two story house roof and chimney. When I called the owner, she said they had mostly disappeared. I told her the swarm hopefully found a good home. When she said "I noticed bees flying around yesterday" I told her chances are those were scouts and the swarm had picked her house for their new home! I didn't bother.

Was gone most of Sunday and came home to find a swarm in a cherry tree. 05/13/12. About 5' up - a 3 - 3 1/2# swarm. Summerville, PA 15864. It was sunny in the morning, but started drizzling rain in the afternoon.

2 swarms today.

Got a call lastnight on my cell phone while I was in a meeting, and the meeting didn't end until late. Message on cell phone there was a swarm in the village of Sugar Hill (past Brookville, PA 15825). I called this morning and it was still there.

I am out of equipment, so had to stop and get a swarm trap hive at an old house that has bees in. (I was hoping bees hadn't moved into it yet.) I lifted the lid and it was empty, so just started to move it when I lifted my head and there was a swarm in a pine tree 4' off the ground!

Took the hive and went to Sugar Hill. A 2 1/2 - 3# swarm on a little tree about 1 1/2' off the ground. Clipped the little tree and into the deep they went. Put lid on, took them home and placed them in their new spot and grabbed an old hive with some frames, and a lid and bottom to the swarm by the old house. Shook them in - they were none too happy. Not sure if it was the weather - cool and overcast or what. Summerville, PA 15864

Two low lying swarms in one day!

Punxsutawney, PA 15767 (Yes, Punxy Phil the groundhog). Got a call this afternoon from a man who had called the local pest control company who gave him my number. He had all kinds of bees flying about the front of his building. Wanted to know what I could do about it. I told him nothing - until the swarm settled and clustered. I explained to him what to look for, and he called me around 3:30 saying they were clustered in a shrub in front of his building.

I went after work and got it hived. Came to find out, this is the third swarm this WEEK on this street! They had a swarm yesterday across the street. This looked like a regular swarm - not an afterswarm. But did find there are bees in the local churchs bell tower.

Some other beekeeper got yesterday's swarm, but the church now has my number.

Got a call from a guy in Indiana County, PA last evening that he had a swarm on the side of a building. Being a county away, I told him to check on the internet to locate a more local beekeeper. I called him right before dark to see if he had found someone, and he had some leads but they didn't pan out. He said most of the bees had gone into a hole in the wall for the night.

I explained to him, that no, the bees didn't just move in the for night, they had moved in and he would now either have to have a beekeeper do a cutout or just get rid of them. It sounded like they were in a wooden porch rail - so it shouldn't be too bad of a job - although you never know until you get there. Hopefully he finds someone.

Mother's day weekend (May 11/12), caught a small swarm in Downingtown, PA (19335). Saw bees checking out the trap Friday afternoon before I left, came home to a swarm captured. Moved them to a hive about 6 miles away a couple days ago and put the trap back where it was.

5/12 ish in Malvern, Pa a smaller than average swarm landed in a tree about 8 or so feet off the ground. The lady called a beekeeper that said that he'd charge $300 to come and get it. WOW!!! She only called me on the 21st because the "beekeeper" said that they'd probably leave within a day or so and they were still there building comb. I'll be getting it this afternoon. They probably have about a deep frame's worth of drawn comb from the little tree.

Hmmmmm - it seems swarming season was early this year. I've noticed the swarm postings have diminished here at least.

A neighbor a mile in a half away called with a bee swarm in their yard. They left a message on my answering machine and I was out all day. They got ahold of another neighbor who used to have bees and he had an old empty hive and housed them. Cooler day today - in the high 60's. Summerville, PA 15864

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast