Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Pennsylvania

74K views 292 replies 70 participants last post by  hickdriller_6160 
#1 ·
May 15, 2007
zip 16226
sunny day in low 80's

#230 ·
I got a call about a swarm in Pittston (18640). My wife and I got our equipment ready and got it at 12:30pm.The home owner said it was there about a week, and she was right because they started building comb on the branch. I used a ladder because they were about 8’ up. They were about the size of a football.

#232 ·
Finally! The first swarm of the year for me.

Sunday evening I got a call about a swarm in Rossiter, PA. They had swarmed that afternoon and was in a pine tree. I got there and they were a little higher up than I was told. They told me on the phone I could reach them from the ground. They were about 10' up on a limb. The homeowner provided a step ladder for me, and while I held the branch, he clipped it with a pole cutter. A few bees fell onto the step ladder, but the majority of the swarm held on. Once cut, I set the branch on top of the frames. Instant buzzing as the swarm filled in the frames. I shook the branch and placed it in front of the hive. By now it was getting dark. Since there were bees on the stepladder and a few still on the branch, I left the hive there. Monday evening I went and picked it up.

Rossiter, PA 15772

#233 ·
I was just thinking yesterday - "Wow - it's middle of June and I've only caught one swarm."

I got a call this morning at 10:45 A.M. I've been to this house before and actually have a swarm trap there from last year. Person said they had bees flying all over and were landing on the outside wall of the house. (It's a brick house with multiple holes and they have already had at least one cut out done.) I asked how high they were, and they said about 10'.

Got my equipment together and went. As I drove to the house and passed the one side I didn't see any bees. Drove past the front and turned and looked at the other side. No bees. Pulled in to the back of the house - again no bees. I'm thinking "Oh no, don't tell me they got into the house - or left."

As I got out of the car, the ladies there said - they moved over to a bush. I go up to a forsythia bush and there is a large swarm (probably 4 - 5 pounds) from the ground up to about 2'. Since there was no way to shake them in, I just put the box up against the swarm and started to shake the branches here and there so the swarm gently fell onto the front of the box. It didn't take long before they started moving in, so I put the lid on and told the ladies I would be back tonight to pick up the hive. When I left, most of the swarm was inside the hive other than a cluster on the front that hadn't moved in yet.

As big as the swarm is, once I get it home tonight, I'll add another second hive on top so they have plenty of room.

Corsica, PA 15829

#234 ·
Last weekend, (June 17th) I went over to mow a property I own the next town over.

I happen to have a bait hive set up there, and was happy to see a swarm had moved in. (My third swarm - no work involved!). Punxsutawney, PA

Yesterday (June 24th) I noticed a lot of honey bees flying around our picnic table where I had a hive sitting.
Swarm # 4 was on it's way.) During a break in the rain showers we had, I moved the box where I wanted the hive to be. Had a handful of bees in the evening where the hive originally was. I'm sure the stragglers will find their way into one of my other hives. Summerville, PA 15864

#235 ·
Got a call this evening about a swarm in Punxsutawney, PA 15767.

First question from the caller was if I charged for getting swarms. I had to ask if it was a swarm in a tree or a "swarm" (colony) in a house. Caller first said the neighbor's had bees in their house but part of them came out and got in a tree. Okay, are they IN the tree (as in a hollow part) or are they in a cluster on a branch. "On a branch." Customer couldn't tell me how far up they were but the tree was small enough to shake.

I get my equipment together and start heading over. I call customer back to verify address, and hear something about "But the landlord wants to be there when . . . . ." and my cell phone lost signal. I get over to the house and find the swarm about 20' up in a maple tree. Nobody answers the door and nobody answers the phone.

I debate what to do. I haven't talked to the owner of the property as apparently the house is a rental property. No one is home to give me permission to be there. Do I try to get the swarm or just leave?

I have to work tomorrow and have vacation bible school right after work, so I can only return tomorrow evening around 8:30. I decide to try to shake the swarm into the hive, so I estimate where the swarm will fall if I can shake them out and put the hive there. I shake the tree, and while it shakes, it's not enough to dislodge the swarm. Some bees fall into the hive, but only a handful.

As it gets dark, I decide to leave the hive there with hopes they move in tomorrow.

After I get my bee suit off, I have a missed text message. The renter says we lost contact, but the landlord wanted to be there when I was there. I explained that I tried to get them, I left my hive there in hopes of them moving in tomorrow, and will talk to the landlord IF they call me tomorrow. (I don't have there phone number.

This explains why the property I own in Punxsutawney had a swarm move into it that I noticed last weekend. This makes two houses (that I know of) that have colonies living in the walls within 3 blocks of my property. I guess I'll have to set up more bait hives on my property!!

#237 ·
Got an email at work today from the Safety guy telling everyone to stay away from a tree because it had a swarm of bees in it. I went to take a look and saw a 4 pound or so swarm in a Maple tree about 15' high.

I got my bee suit and an empty hive, and a pole saw. The branch was too flexible to cut it with the swarm on it, so I tried the jolt method. That didn't work too well, so after the 2nd jolt had failed, I decided to lightly cut the branch with the pole saw in the hope it would slowly come down. That worked - and so once the majority of bees was back in the cluster, I held on to the branch and used my hand saw to cut it. It was then a simple matter of putting the branch with the cluster over top of the hive and shaking.

There was soon the happy humming sound of bees fanning, so I knew the queen was in the hive. I put the cover on, and then put the lid over most of the top as there was still bees on the cover and side.

After I got off work, I went to check and saw bees coming and going.

I went towards dark and since there were still bees on the front entrance, I used a plastic garbage bag to cover the front, loaded the hive into my car and drove them home.

Brookville, PA 15825

#244 ·
I had lots of activity then nothing. I think the grounds crew may have done something. Disturbed it at a minimum or sprayed it.

I took it down last weekend. I was recently given some old 10-frame boxes that I'm going to make swarm traps with. I wonder if it too late to put them out this year? This thread seems to have gone dead compared to most years.

#245 ·
Ya not sure why nobody post swarms here in pa anymore. This has been a booming year for me. I’m over 20 for this year.. I got one I’m calling the 40 pounder! Had two boxes in same place ( 100 yards) apart knew I had swarm in the one box went to pick it up about 8 days later and other one had one in it. Thought I didn’t take rock off top but I did. Weighed it when got home 40# in less than 8 days! Had to put second deep on right away. Biggest one for me. That was third one from that spot!

#246 ·
For me it was helpful posting swarms when it was combined because you could watch the swarms coming North. Now I don't have a litmus as to when to expect them. In the past month I've caught 2 swarms, had 2 small swarms leave from my hives as I was rearing queens and I think 2 came from cells that I cut out that had 2 queens. Swarms were very small though but still viable. Perhaps softball size or slightly more. The 2 I caught, one was descent size filling an 8 frame box while the second was much smaller perhaps filling a 4 frame nuc in size.

#250 ·
Not happy about this one. Happened to notice a small swarm in the weeds near the ground. Been there a while because they made a good bit of wax and there was a sizable pile of dead beers on the ground. Weather hasn’t been to nice this past week and doesn’t look good coming up. I’ve been meaning to super up because some of my hives are busting at the seams but I’ve been so busy and I never thought they would go this early.

#253 ·
Anyone in eastern PA - coal region on this forum? I'm a new beekeeper and looking for a mentor and good local info about swarms, nectar flows, etc.

It HAS been a funny spring - near 70 the day I installed my package beginning of the month and hardly above 45 most days since with snow showers, rain, and some nasty wind.

Keith

#254 ·
I'm probably the closest to you but not fit to be a mentor. There are several from eastern PA/Western NJ on here. Yes, the weather has been Poo. I sold 2 nucs to an acquaintance and the weather has been terrible every day since. Don't hesitate to ask questions and someone on here will usually answer.

PS. You probably should have put this in the introduction section. Maybe a mod will move it.

#256 ·
Thanks! I've got the top feeder on - need to check it today - looks to be heading up to 60 again!

So for THIS thread: when it says post swarm dates - is it referring to swarms from your own established hives or wild swarms - or are those usually about the same time?

Does anyone still find swarms in the wild? I just watched Palmer's "Sustainable Apiary" and he said in 2013 what I suspected - pretty much the only swarms left are ones escaping from apiaries...

#257 ·
Does not matter if it is your own hive that swarmed or someone else's that you captured or tried to capture. Point is to alert others in your immediate vicinity to be on the lookout.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.