Ohio - Page 3
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

45628 Swarm 25 feet up in tree. Swarmed from hive in owners house walls.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Southwest ohio 45013 may20,2011 78degrees and sunny 3lb 7ft high on limb.got call unknown origin

5/19/2011 East Liverpool, Ohio 43920 2-3# swarm about 5 feet up in an apple tree. Easy swarm shake into a nuc box.
    Joe and Heidi S.

5/20/2011 East Liverpool, Ohio 43920 2# swarm had landed in the grass. We placed a nuc on the grass about 4" from them and was pulling the frames to spray with sugar water and these bees RAN into the nuc. We caught the queen and caged her as soon as they thinned out a little. Nice quick swarm catch. We waited and moved the nuc at dark.
    Joe and Heidi S.

05/21/11, Hiram Ohio 44234. A swarm took up residence behind the soffit in the front of my house, just 30 feet away from the swarm trap I have in a tree in the front yard. The trap is baited with swarm lure (from Miller Bee Supply) and a small piece of comb. I had placed the trap there in part to prevent another swarm from moving in to the soffit like the one that did last year. I guess the comb and honey left over from last year are a better lure. My fault -- I stupidly neglected to caulk the cracks they used as an entrance last year (after they either absconded or fell prey to disease or parasites).
    “Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” – Albert Einstein

southwest ohio (butler county)5-21-11 78degrees outside wall condo.

Southwest ohio (butler county)5-23-11 74degrees sunny softball size in callers grass.

5/25/2011
    Lisbon, Ohio 44432
    3# swarm low in an apple tree. I recieved the call around 3:30 in the afternoon. Shook them into a nuc box. No ladder needed, just the way I like them.

Joe
    Joe and Heidi S.

May 27th, 2011
    East Liverpool, Ohio 43920

Large 5-6# swarm low in a tree. Not more than 5' off the ground. Shook them into a medium hive body, the bees filled this box. We spotted the queen on the tree, and every time we attempted to use the queen clip and catch her she took flight 6 to 8 times this happened. I got a little impatient and misted the box with sugar water and the misted the bees clustered on the tree with sugar water and gave them a good shake and this time she went to the box. We spotted her on top of the frames and used the queen clip and caged her until tomorrow.

Joe
    Joe and Heidi S.

Default Ohio

5/30/2011
    Wellsville Ohio 43968
    3-4# swarm

We got a phone call about 8:00 PM about a basketball size swarm under a picnic table. 3-4# of bees.
    When I asked the homeowner where are you at? She replied inside the house we don't want to get stung. I chuckled and said I meant, what is you address?
    She laughed and gave me the street address.
    Sure enough it was a basketball size swarm like she stated. We placed a hive body underneath with half the frames out, then I slowly lifted the table and then dropped it about six inches from the ground. The bees dropped right in.
    Two cruisers came by and checked us out. I guess three guys all in white with veils over our faces looked somewhat suspicious in this area of town.

Nighttime beekeeping takes on a whole different look. The use of a flashlight attracts bees, as does the interior lights when the truck door was left open. DAMHIKT

We left around 9 PM and by the time I took them to my Dads bee yard and came home it was 11:00 PM. Past my bedtime.
    Most fun we've had in awhile with all three generations of beekeepers working together to collect this swarm. My Dad, My Son, and My self.
    Last edited by jhs494; 05-31-2011 at 06:17 AM.
    Joe and Heidi S.

5/30/11
    Troy, OH - I watched as about 4# of beees from one of my hives swarmed about 40' up in my neighbors maple tree. I put some more lemon grass oil in my bait hive, but they didn't move in.

Coinsidentially I got a swarm call from a home owner in Englewood that had a 5# swarm in a tree about 20' up. Hived them and they appear very happy.

Sept 12th got my first call for a swarm.
    Kingsville Ohio

9-24-11 Got a call from Duke energy.They were working on a natural gas pump station. 2x2ft.castiron hole in ground. poped off lid to find they had nice comb built on under side of lid. Box was about 3ft. deep. Removed comb,banded in empty frames.Got queen with comb.Put hive next to hole. About 15 min they started marching in.Zip 45014

Read over on the Honey Run Apiaries' blog that he caught a swarm on 4-3-2012. He is located in Delphos, Ohio.

http://honeyrunapiaries.com/blog/2012/04/03/
    Nick Hubbell
    www.findlaybee.com

45701 - 3-4 lb swarm on tree trunk, 100 ft from parent colony. First call of year. Former owner had no extra equipment, so I got 'em.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

Beekeeper in my neighborhood had one of his hives swarm on him on Friday 4/13. He was able to catch it. Canton, Ohio.

1st swarm of the year 2-3 lbs on a rock saw queen looks to be virgin sunny 65 and slight breeze this is a feral swarm home owner said he saw a swarm a week ago that was 2 times the size of this swarm

2 Swarms. One 2 days ago downtown columbus 6" off the ground and One today in Mansfield Oh 16-18' up in a maple tree. Both were 2-5 lbs of bees

First swarm call of the year. Pineapple sized. 45628

2nd swarm same location as wednesday 45640 sunny 77

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast