North Carolina - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: North Carolina

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Caught a feral swarm on 04-07 at a blue berry farm I had some hives at. The owner said he had seen some bees coming out of a wooded area before I had brought my hives over so i set up a deep with a few frames and top/bottom of plywood with just 2-3/4" holes drilled in the front. I came back 3 days later and there was a colony in it. I didn't expect this but am glad to get it. The queen had laid in a couple of the frames plus 2 combs they drew that were hanging from the inside of the top. I took theses combs off the top and put them into a single frame. I got lucky not to loose the queen because there was one frame i had installed with the box that had the majority of eggs/brood in it and I was looking for the queen and it slipped out of my hand and one side dropped and hit a hive body and all the bees flew off this frame. I thought the queen would still be light enough to fly but I suppose she was in another area that I was able to put in the new hive. I don't know what the size of the swarm is but they are easily covering 5-6 frames of eggs & brood the queen has laid in. I filled the box with 10 frames with 3 that are plain foundation. They have not drawn this out and this surprises me. Other swarms I've gotten would draw out a frame a day easily???
    It is just the beginning of the flow here and I am wondering if I could still get a bit of honey off this swarm. The queen is laying wall to wall so maybe there will be enough bee to fill a 2 deep hive in 30 days or so and I could try putting a super on?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

my own swarm 4/13 and again my own swarm different hive 4/14

4/14, Apex, NC
    ~4-5lb swarm, 10ft up in pine tree around 7pm.
    was helping a new beekeeper split a hive that swarmed on 4/13. found 4 virgin queens, one flew so we split into three hives. counted 15 swarm cells. when split was complete noticed the secondary swarm about 30 feet away. large swarm for secondary.
    Hughes Honey Apiary
    http://www.hugheshoney.com

I forgot in my last post....First Swarm 4/2/2011 probably my own bees Raleigh/Garner NC

I got a call today about a swarm. I went to the call and there was a large swarm about 7' off the ground on the limb of a dogwood. It was the ideal situation. All I had was cardboard box and I took the limb, shook off the bees and hived them back at my house in a deep super with drawn comb.

2 swarms today, sunny, around 80 degrees. one was around 3lbs and the other a solid 6lb swarm.
    Hughes Honey Apiary

Had a hive of Russian bees swarm two days ago in Western NC. Was not able to recover them.

Tryon, NC 28782

Caught one of my own swarms today....after coming home from the bee supply store. About 20 feet up above the hive they left.Too bad they didn't wait til Sunday, would have been my daughters birthday party! Glad to have caught them as the Tulip Poplars are about to bloom here!
    Edgemont, NC 28611

4lb swarm on side of house, bout 20ft up. had a couple small pieces of comb built. salisbury,nc

9/24/11 Morganton, NC Had a swarm move into empty hive body from a last winter dead out. The weather has been cooling down and we have had 3 plus inches of rain over the last several days. The swarm is of unknown orgins.

9/27/11 Morganton, NC Caught a small swarm grapefruit sized swarm. They will be combined with larger swarm from 9/24/11.

Zip 28401. I've not heard of a swarm this late but got a call for a football size swarm in a shrub. Easy free bees
    "Challenger" as in the Mopar muscle car. Not a personality description .
    Keeping bees to raise money for chordoma.

Pitt County, North Carolina, United States

Just had my first swarm today. One hive, temperature was about 75 degrees Fahrenheit at 0830, I will post a separate thread later when I get my pictures from my YL. Location, Eastern North Carolina. Origin:my hive in the backyard.
    Last edited by Riff Raff; 02-24-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Added Location and Origin.

Even though I did my best efforts at swarm control this year;
    I had a huge swarm today 3/9/2012 in zip code 27603.

Early for us. I checked the other hives and removed a queen and brood because of a swarm cells. I supered the other hives on Thursday and went back and looked to see if they were drawing it and one of the hives had drawn out six frames in two days.

Todd: is this the normal time of year for your area? Are you early? Just wondering.

5lb swarm, UNC Law School, Chapel Hill, NC 27514. 11:30 am. 68 degrees, Sunny. 10 ft high in a holly tree.

Zip 28546 Jacksonville, NC, one hive swarmed on me at approx 10 AM, sunny, 72 F. They got way up in a pine tree, did not stay too long...and left for some wooded area. Followed them with my binoculars but they were gone pretty quick.
    On a side note, I've split about 20 hive in the last 2 days, boiling with bees...all had swarm cells at different stages. So, yes, they made up their mind in the last 10 days.
    I checked my last year notes...we are about three weeks early this year.

Hardiness zone 8a.

Got a call today and picked up a couple of swarms. Mid 70s and cloudy. 27009 Belews Creek NC

bee cut out on house in Apex, NC (27502) on 3/13. Swarm took residence on 3/11. Basetball size cluster.
    Hughes Honey Apiary

Walked up on one of my colonies swarming yesterday (3/18/12) in Carthage, NC. Of course they landed about 80ft up a tree It was still amazing to see them come pouring out of the hive all at once. Hope they find a good home.
    ...This, and my heart, and all the Bees
    Which in the Clover dwell.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast