New York - Page 4
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: New York

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

First swarm capture in 2011 for us was May 18th, Albany, New York.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Swarm#2 May23,2011. 70 / 10' off the ground. Boxed in double deep. Livonia, NY 14487
    Rmns 1:16/Prv.3:5,6/ Beegan BK May 09/ Zone 5b
    I have NOT failed. I have only found many many ways that do not work!

Question Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Bees will be bees... 3 weeks ago I put up a swarm trap. Within minutes, the crew showed up to measure... stuck around for a couple of hours and then nothing.

Today, the second sunny day after a week or so of rain, I went out and checked the box. Cleaned out a mouse nest and re-baited it with LGO. As I was hanging it up a couple of girls were hovering around waiting for me to finish.

Went off to do some business and when I got home there was "traffic" at the box. I have gone out several times and it looks like a lot more than scouts. I think I have a swarm.
    Last edited by Mike Tuggle; 05-26-2011 at 10:14 AM.

Smile Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

First swarm call of the year that wasn't a cutout. Large primary swarm in Hyde Park, NY, from a hollow maple 40' away from where it settled in a blue spruce.

I weighed my boxes and my vacuum before and after -- this was a 15# wonder.

I got most last night but went back this morning for 6# more! Homeowners want me to come back and do a trap out on the tree in a couple of weeks.

I noticed the swarm late this afternoon (5/30). We're on the east end of Long Island. This was our own hive that chose to swarm . We're VERY new bee keepers. I'm at a loss as to what to do about it. Details will be on another thread.
    Last edited by kpalermo; 05-30-2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: wanted to finish the tale

cuaght a 5# swarm that filled a deep and a shallow. on 5/3/11 in auburn.

Got a call from a condo complex in Hopewell Junction, NY (12533) this afternoon.

Reportedly, the swarn started as "a cloud" and settled on a couple of cars -- after less than half an hour, they all moved about 20' up a white pine. That's where I found them when I got there and did my bucket "shake and dump" job. After a while the girls on the outside of the box were doing the "queen's here" posture. Still, there were a few hundred that when shook, still continued to go back and cluster on the tree. I just couldn't convince them to come down even after climbing the tree and trying to brush them into a small bucket.

Can't understand the clustering if I have the queen in my box.

I will transfer the ~8# swarm from the box to a hive tomorrow morning. We'll see what the queen status is in a few days.
    Last edited by Mike Tuggle; 06-05-2011 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Left out the size. :-)

Town of West Monroe, Oswego County, New York, USA

Lucky enough to get two separate swarms within the past week... first one maybe an afterswarm; about 12' up in a spruce tree, slightly smaller than a volleyball. Weather was dry, sunny and 80'F after a new record of 97'F earlier in the afternoon. June 10th near Pulaski, NY 13142

Second about 14' up in a sugar maple; not too sure on weight but the size of a large watermelon, or around 2 basketballs. Had to do three separate branch cut-down/shakes - and took two hours for them all to march into a deep with 7 frames and pheromone lure inside. Added a second deep at home to give the a little room to spread out... never seen such a large swarm. Weather clear, dry and breezy at 68'F. June 10th near Mannsville, NY 13661.

Some photos of the second swarm:
    Last edited by jhirsche; 06-11-2011 at 06:25 PM.

Missed a "basketball-sized" swarm today in Hyde Park, NY 12538 by 10 minutes. :-(

got a call late last night for a swarm on the side of the house. found the queen just about dead. it rained that day so i think she got wet and cold. got them home and checked the girls this morning and found the queen walking around on the frams. she is doing fine.

Default Re: A LOT of swarms in three weeks time.

Combining should not bee all that hard. For Lang's, just get them started and then put a sheet of newspaper across the top of one and punch a few pencil-sized holes in the paper and put your weaker box on top of the paper. Close everything up and come back in a few days and there should be shredded paper to clean up and a single colony. I've done this a couple of times and it worked out well. I guess there's some risk of ending up queenless but in my case, one always survived.

I juat started with TBH's this year so am not sure if there's an "approved" or "proven" method. I guess you could make up a special follower board witha big hole in the middle and duct tape your newsprint over the board. It could work, don't you think....?

Soccer ball sized swarm from one of my hives today. My wife captured it (her first!) and it replaces the one colony we lost this "winter"

Wallkill, NY 12589

Swarm moved into my single deep trap at 12pm today. Only put it out yesterday. Approx. size of a volleyball.
    Syracuse, NY 13210 USDA zone 5B
    downsized_0419021225.jpg
    Last edited by jhirsche; 04-20-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Smile Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

First swarm call for the season for me yesterday with a successful pick up in Livingston, NY 12534. 3-4# Italians on a lilac bush.

They are working hard today!

hi good sized swarm april 17 20 12 rochester ny

Picked up some of my gals that decided to go astray tonight.... second swarm from this colony this year... this cluster was on a rock next to the ground... marched right into a 4-frame nuc with 2 drawn frames and a nasanov swarm lure vial.

West Monroe, NY 13167
    65'F - cloudy and breezy.

Got this one today in Fayetteville, NY. Sunny, 70'F... picked them up at 7:30PM... was told they were in the tree since the early afternoon. About 6' off the ground... 3 lbs of bees? Judge for yourself... First feral swarm I've heard of from around here...

My observation hive swarmed today, Oswego, NY 13126 14:00 5/12/12. Temp 73 F low humidity, and light winds. 75% of the hive left, Assembled 25' up a spruce tree well out of my reach. Set out 2 bait hives with q-tips of LGO in hopes to attract the HUGE mass of bees up there! :-)

Jeremy K - I live nearby to you and can offer some help if you need it? I have fresh vials of synthetic Nasanov... kinda like cheating over the LGO! Check your PM inbox here..

got 2 swarms today. one was about 2 pounds and the other one was about 5 pounds.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast