New York - Page 15
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: New York

Default Re: New York

A website with known areas of AFB would be nice. Contacting individuals by State inspectors is almost impossible....too many new beeks with a couple hives that no one knows about. This fact makes the situation even scarier....new beeks not knowing what they are looking for or at. AFB was confirmed in Broome and Chenango counties last year. At some point we will have to assume its every where and be vigilant with inspections and burning.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by aran View Post
    absolutely! This whole afb outbreak is scary. Would make sense to ensure ALL Beeks in the surrounding areas know about it ASAP.
    I have called the inspector and he is coming to check my hives on Monday.
    so did you do any searches on ags and markets to see what bee information is available? Did you notice that the hives have been burned, that means considerable time has elapsed, the inspector had to be called or happen to inspect, send a sample of to beltsville for confirmation(last one I sent took a couple of weeks, they may get priority treatment), and then get out an burn the hives. Now people have been trying for years to get them to at least have a web page for beeks so they could provide information, hmmm still none, they have all the email address of all the bee clubs in the state, they say, anyone seen any information flowing out notifying any beeks. nada. the only thing working is the beek email contacts. not a really good way to run a railroad. now you think with that number of yards maybe they sold some nucs?? The state wants information to be a one way street, and nothing comes our way. Make sure the inspector on monday sanitizes his equipment and hands and uses your smoker, and if not turn your dog on him
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    do you know if McCoy had a queen b/4 you treated? I think it's 14 days between pads, but I do it 10 days between pads. the only time I have had them lose the queen is when they had already swarmed, any swarm cells? I was just at a guys house sat, he had done the same treatment and was pulling out the last pad and all his queens were still in their and laying and no sign of missing brood? I'm sure you checked but not pass the expiration date?
    Expiration date good; FP one strip every 10 days, so 20 days. I have a feeling that it swarmed, maybe; it has always been a big hive, Iíve had it a few years. It had a bunch of swarm cells, we made splits, and left some of the cells in the hive and added FP on 5/31. Getting a queen from
    Dean Haskin. There is another split from that hive that the queen didnít come back.
    Western Catskill Mountains
    Proverbs 16:24

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    so did you do any searches on ags and markets to see what bee information is available? Did you notice that the hives have been burned, that means considerable time has elapsed, the inspector had to be called or happen to inspect, send a sample of to beltsville for confirmation(last one I sent took a couple of weeks, they may get priority treatment), and then get out an burn the hives. Now people have been trying for years to get them to at least have a web page for beeks so they could provide information, hmmm still none, they have all the email address of all the bee clubs in the state, they say, anyone seen any information flowing out notifying any beeks. nada. the only thing working is the beek email contacts. not a really good way to run a railroad. now you think with that number of yards maybe they sold some nucs?? The state wants information to be a one way street, and nothing comes our way. Make sure the inspector on monday sanitizes his equipment and hands and uses your smoker, and if not turn your dog on him
    i spoke with the inspector about that specifically. I told him i dont want him on my property without a brand new hive tool, using my smoker and wearing clean clothing.

i spoke with the inspector about that specifically. I told him i dont want him on my property without a brand new hive tool, using my smoker and wearing clean clothing.
    you may start getting a bad reputation and get yelled at by winters on FB, but I would rather be safe than sorry.
    mike syracuse ny

The inspectors I've dealt with are good guys and knowledgeable about AFB along with the other various maladies. They use bleach to scrub their tools then a mapgas torch to burn them. They are vigilant. Clean clothes???? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingstoneboy View Post
    The inspectors I've dealt with are good guys and knowledgeable about AFB along with the other various maladies. They use bleach to scrub their tools then a mapgas torch to burn them. They are vigilant. Clean clothes???? Really?
    according to a former NY bee inspector that posted on beesource, the hive tool was less likely, the smoker more likely, but the most likely way to get afb/efb passed along was from the individual. and when I got inspected this year, we went from yard to yard and not sanitary precautions were taken between yards.
    mike syracuse ny

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingstoneboy View Post
    yup really.

Well the flow is here, finally!
    Western Catskill Mountains
    Proverbs 16:24

Where are you in NY? Im north of Albany and we are on sumac. Locusts never flowered but i saw them 3 weeks ago elsewhere..

sumac is going, friend down the road sent me an email, his basswood is starting to flower.
    mike syracuse ny

my strongest hive is working on finishing super #4 ( mediums) already!
    Still no swarms caught this year which is weird. I have multiple swarm traps up in same locations at last year where i caught several swarms but nothing this year.

Still no swarms caught this year which is weird. I have multiple swarm traps up in same locations at last year where i caught several swarms but nothing this year.
    Funny i have the same thing going on. Last year was 4 for 4 on swarm traps. Caught mine on 6/28 last year. Nothing this year

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415