Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: New York

Default Re: New York

same here, Crazy!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Yesterday I watched a swarm leave its hive and gather in a shrub at high noon at my remote hive location. It was a little smaller than a basketball size cluster and I put them in my last two 8 frame medium boxes filled with new, extra-waxed plastic foundation. They came from my "monster hive", which itself was a similar sized swarm I caught from one of my other hives (at that location) in early June.

I think the "monster hive" they came from had two queens in their original June swarm, because its size grew unbelievably fast...it went to 7 medium boxes tall in six weeks. I pulled two boxes for extracting in late July and did it again two weeks ago. Two weeks ago there were eggs, brood in various stages, and palm sized patches capped drone brood in all the hives.

It was dumb luck that I discovered this swarm as it was happening. I was busy elsewhere on the property when a neighbor came by to borrow some items. When we went near the hives to get the items, we came across the swarm starting. If he hadn't come by at that time, I would've never known about the swarm and it likely would have disappeared, with me being none the wiser.

I am a little surprised that this swarm was so large, this late in the year. They just started working the goldenrod.

If this swarm has a virgin queen I'm hoping she will get mated by some of my drones. I'll have to wait & see.
    Zone 5A 2,200 ft.

Tuesday it appeared my hive was swarming . The cloud of bees were circling the hive ,I was expecting them to take off and they all landed on the front of the hive and clustered . A couple hours later they headed back in . Not sure what that was about, unless the queen never came out ! The next day a friend of mine who was on his way to Wyoming called and said his wife called him and one of his hives swarmed . So I went up and hived them cluster was a little smaller than a soccer ball.

Caught a local swarmin a shed, a small one. Had to put it into a swarm box because I have run out of equipment including drawn deep frames of which I only have a few. After one day that queen is laying really well. Hope they can draw out more frames.
    Proverbs 16:24

March 1st, 12123, 51 degrees. One of my hives is bringing in yellow pollen and some of the bees are bringing in a dark orange pollen. I am guessing crocus. I guess my 3 other survivor hives did not find the crocus patch yet, if crocus is what they are bringing in.

Quote Originally Posted by NY14804 View Post
    Yesterday I watched a swarm leave its hive and gather in a shrub at high noon at my remote hive location. It was a little smaller than a basketball size cluster and I put them in my last two 8 frame medium boxes filled with new, extra-waxed plastic foundation. They came from my "monster hive", which itself was a similar sized swarm I caught from one of my other hives (at that location) in early June.

I think the "monster hive" they came from had two queens in their original June swarm, because its size grew unbelievably fast...it went to 7 medium boxes tall in six weeks. I pulled two boxes for extracting in late July and did it again two weeks ago. Two weeks ago there were eggs, brood in various stages, and palm sized patches capped drone brood in all the hives.

It was dumb luck that I discovered this swarm as it was happening. I was busy elsewhere on the property when a neighbor came by to borrow some items. When we went near the hives to get the items, we came across the swarm starting. If he hadn't come by at that time, I would've never known about the swarm and it likely would have disappeared, with me being none the wiser.

I am a little surprised that this swarm was so large, this late in the year. They just started working the goldenrod.

If this swarm has a virgin queen I'm hoping she will get mated by some of my drones. I'll have to wait & see.
    How did this hive turn out? Was she mated?

Apparently she did. When I looked at the end of January they still had a good size cluster (similar size as the other hives) at the top of the hive and I needed to add more sugar bricks.
    Zone 5A 2,200 ft.

Great.

Was wondering have some swarm traps out but haven’t seen any scouts. Anyone else seeing any signs of swarming activity?

ive had a TON Of scouting activity at 5 of my 8 traps. No swarms yet, but i did do snelgrove board splits this past monday on two large hives that were clearing on their way to swarming. Lots of drone brood and a few drones wandering around on the frames...we are close now guys and gals!

Got a swarm on May 18 nice size. 12577

Anyone around me see or hear anything related to swarming? Was hoping to get a couple of swarms but no calls or catches. Strange

i caught a good size swarm last weekend 13152.
    -> waited a week and put them in a regular 8 frame hive. Swarm was large enough that i gave them a second box right away.

A beekeeper about a mile away from me had a colony ready to swarm last Saturday.

I just happened to hear about it and went over expecting to find it had already left. The hive seemed very calm and, was still full of bees. On inspection, there were dozens of swarm cells all over the place, several capped, some of those weren't even just-capped, either, so I was really surprised to find the marked queen (on the very last frame on the second pass of searching for her.) I marked her myself, last fall, so I know it was the over-wintered gal. (And she swarmed last summer, too, but was caught and hived.)

I have no explanation for why the queen was still there given the extremely far-along state of the swarm preps and no intervening weather. So much for always writing that they leave when the first cell(s) are capped. And unless it was the most prolific supercedure I've ever heard of (more than 30 charged cells, most hanging from the bottom edge of the frames), it was a swarm that apparently got cold feet at the last minute.

There wasn't much in the way of eggs or young larvae, so we did the best we could, and divvied up the colony using the Snelgrove Method II (modified). We needed a disheartening amount of regicide to get things squared away. My friend had already started a split the day before with queen cells, so after we culled a bunch of those, too, and shook in some extra nurse bees, that one is cooking along, as well. I figure that even if we don't get a new queen out of the Snelgrove split, we've stopped a swarm, got one split out of the deal and that's good enough. (No, she didn't want to make nucs with all those cells. She doesn't need them. I hate killing queen cells, though, so I wasn't a happy camper.)

My own colonies seemed to have settled down for the summer, though they are all due for their final swarm check this week.

Nancy

Nancy so we are almost out of the woods? Ive been doing weekly inspections and whilst i have seen patches of drone comb and occasional dry queen cups i have only had to intervene on one hive that had two charged queen cells .
    So far so good..i caught a swarm (not from my bees) and have not had any of my hives swarm. I did pre-emptively SG1 two hives that were booming in early May.

A longtime beekeper in Rochester NY just had two of his hives swarm this morning. One swarm needed two deeps to hold them all. He expects the swarms to suddenly explode this week.
    Zone 5A 2,200 ft.

Working through my own hives today (12094), I am not seeing any evidence of swarming even in the very strong ones. (At least so far....about 3/4 done.) Want to finish adding supers before this weekend's heatwave..

They're pulling tons of new wax on foundation, and busy, calm and easy to work even though we passed the main, and this year very strong, spring flow (locust) about two weeks ago and are not quite to the early summer finale: basswood which is at least about 8-10 days away. My bees are working elderberry, sumac, clover, deciduous holly, and the earliest milkweed today. Maybe some wild roses in shady places, too. They may also be flying out about 1.5 miles to work some little leaf lindens that are in full bloom in a roadside plantation. That's far for them as they usually forage closer to home.

Nancy

A relative of mine just called said I got a bunch of bees on both boxes. We will see 12072

Caught 3 swarms in the last 3 days; one from a barn where a hive has been for years, one from a hive that moved in to the DPW building a few years ago, then one about 5 miles away that my husband got yesterday while Iím away. Very happy.

Two swarms in bait hives probably moved in 2 days ago. 12072

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast