New York - Page 14
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: New York

Default Re: New York

Quote Originally Posted by 22Bones View Post
    Has anyone seen the locust trees blooming yet? Haven't seen any here in Columbia County yet.
    Don't think they are going to bloom this year. Read we are lucky to get 1 year out of 5 of nectar from the black locust.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

locusts are blooming at my one place in Rochester NY. Will take a look at my skaneateles place tonight.

around here maybe 1 in 10 or 20 trees bloom and the next day the petals fall, but the bass wood shows promise
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    around here maybe 1 in 10 or 20 trees bloom and the next day the petals fall, but the bass wood shows promise
    yup ur right all the petals are off from the **** wind.

Quote Originally Posted by aran View Post
    yup ur right all the petals are off from the **** wind.
    this years is being a pain in the &%## isn't it, as one person said on our FB page, why are we having 3 months of april this year, I'm going back to mud season, looking for some cold weather to firm up the mud, oh wait, it is cold out
    mike syracuse ny

Locust is a bust this year in northern Rensselaer and southern Washington County, too. Not weather related, just one of those flower-less years, alas. The big basswood in my farmyard looks to be ready to bloom in the next two weeks, so that may make up for things, at least a bit.

Hived a swarm last Monday, haven't finished inspecting all my colonies so I'm not sure if it's one of mine. Was thinking that the big hole in nectar might reduce swarming as there is nothing coming in to crowd them - they'd be backfilling with air this year. My hives at work have also been extra-swarmy, too. But they seem to have stalled out a bit, probably due to the lack of locust bloom.

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by enjambres View Post
    Locust is a bust this year in northern Rensselaer and southern Washington County, too. Not weather related, just one of those flower-less years, alas. The big basswood in my farmyard looks to be ready to bloom in the next two weeks, so that may make up for things, at least a bit.

Hived a swarm last Monday, haven't finished inspecting all my colonies so I'm not sure if it's one of mine. Was thinking that the big hole in nectar might reduce swarming as there is nothing coming in to crowd them - they'd be backfilling with air this year. My hives at work have also been extra-swarmy, too. But they seem to have stalled out a bit, probably due to the lack of locust bloom.

Nancy
    im really surprised at how much new comb has been built and nectar stored in my hives despite the crappy weather. Not sure where they are getting it all from!

Anyone seeing any signs of swarming? Forecast looks really good this week. Caught some swarms this time last year.

Yes. Did splits w swarm cells end of May beginning of June.
    Western Catskill Mountains
    Proverbs 16:24

found a hive today with 3 frames of queen cells
    => found queen still thankfully and made splits

Quote Originally Posted by aran View Post
    found a hive today with 3 frames of queen cells
    => found queen still thankfully and made splits
    expanding again eh! Maybe get you one of those spiders from FB to keep the number of bees down.
    mike syracuse ny

Watched (and hived) one of mine swarm yesterday at 11 am. This the first actual swarm that I know of this year from my remote apiary. Found 2 capped swarm cells in the hive they left.

The 2 swarm cell splits I made 30 days previous from a different hive now have some eggs, larvae and capped brood.

No interest in any of my swarm traps has been seen so far this year (unusual).
    Zone 5A 2,200 ft.

expanding again eh! Maybe get you one of those spiders from FB to keep the number of bees down.
    yeah not good lol i have TOO MANY BEES!!!

so here is a report I got today, confirmed by another bee keeper in the same general area. report states the hives are being burned today, good reason to not bring other bees into your yards and encourage your neighbors to get nucs from you instead of other sources.

70 hives affected with AFB near Auburn ny. Inspectors are calling people and insisting on inspecting
    mike syracuse ny

and a second one just went by

Someone who has bought bees from me for years just said Ag and Markets told him they ordered 25 yards burned in Moravia NY, less than a mile from him
    now you do have to put this into context, that cornell and the state are trying to get more inspectors and required inspection
    mike syracuse ny

My one big hive (McCoy) that we split swarm cells from, also took some early Spring honey, 2 deeps 4 supers, lots of bees, NO QUEEN, NO BROOD of any kind. Just finished a Formic Pro treatment on that one, one strip, followed directions, I went in today to remove the strip and found this. Never had a problem with it last year. This is after I cleaned up some equipment, brought it out and saw a swarm landing in a VERY tall tree. Took a look at some more hives, found another no queen, and a split (done on 6/4 with capped cells), with torn down cells but no brood or queen. Some pretty empty hives I need to feed.
    Western Catskill Mountains
    Proverbs 16:24

so Pat Bono called the inspectors on the AFB outbreak and got the following information
    There has been an outbreak in several apiary yards of American Foul Brood (AFB).

The yards in Cayuga/Onondaga Counties have already been burned, the Oneida county outbreak is in the process of being destroyed.

If you have hives in this area please inspect your brood nest this week and in a few weeks to follow up. You are looking for sunken perforated capped brood or discolored coffee milk color brood that ropes out when you insert a matchstick or twig.
    the 25 yards were across the three counties, now does anyone think that may be ags and markets should have a web site set up or notify clubs in the affected areas so beeks don't have to get every thing through the grape vine
    mike syracuse ny

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    My one big hive (McCoy) that we split swarm cells from, also took some early Spring honey, 2 deeps 4 supers, lots of bees, NO QUEEN, NO BROOD of any kind. Just finished a Formic Pro treatment on that one, one strip, followed directions, I went in today to remove the strip and found this. Never had a problem with it last year. This is after I cleaned up some equipment, brought it out and saw a swarm landing in a VERY tall tree. Took a look at some more hives, found another no queen, and a split (done on 6/4 with capped cells), with torn down cells but no brood or queen. Some pretty empty hives I need to feed.
    do you know if McCoy had a queen b/4 you treated? I think it's 14 days between pads, but I do it 10 days between pads. the only time I have had them lose the queen is when they had already swarmed, any swarm cells? I was just at a guys house sat, he had done the same treatment and was pulling out the last pad and all his queens were still in their and laying and no sign of missing brood? I'm sure you checked but not pass the expiration date?
    mike syracuse ny

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    i have had one hive supercede after FP treatment. No biggie.

so Pat Bono called the inspectors on the AFB outbreak and got the following information

the 25 yards were across the three counties, now does anyone think that may be ags and markets should have a web site set up or notify clubs in the affected areas so beeks don't have to get every thing through the grape vine
    absolutely! This whole afb outbreak is scary. Would make sense to ensure ALL Beeks in the surrounding areas know about it ASAP.
    I have called the inspector and he is coming to check my hives on Monday.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast