Missouri - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Missouri

Default Re: Missouri

I got to my bee yard area early this morning and was startled to see a good size swarm on the fence 5 yards from the nearest hive. I haven't found out where it would have come from my hives yet, and am 75% sure it didn't, unless I missed a hive in the last inspection. I looked in the couple under suspicion when I thought about which one it could have been.

I took a frame of brood from a colony real close and got them started into the box. I had to hold the box in place for 30 minutes while it rested on a barb wire strand and they marched into the box. Over 2/3 of them are in the box by now.

20180531_073610.jpg

Notice the hive tool bridge to give more traffic lanes.

20180531_073753.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I have been smooshing swarm cells the past week, had a few with jelly in them too, probobly would have had a capped one by now if I hadnt gotten it last week.

You want to increase the size of your apiary (from another post). Why are you smushing queen cells? Make splits with them.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I am wanting to get maximum honey harvest before I split, I figure if I delay them as long as possible then pull supers and split that would be the best balance between more honey and more bees.

As long as you have plan, go for it. Sometimes people cull all the queen cells because that is what they were told to do and they do not realize there are other options.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

yep I did two splits early in the year last year from swarm cells, I just wan't to get more honey this year, all my friends and family are asking me almost every day.

Boxed a buddy's swarm at Smithville, 5/10/19.
    A big part of our family since 1958. Thank you Mr. Langley.

I've been setting traps for three years and finally caught my first swarm! Tiny thing, maybe in there for three or four days. It will be interesting to see what they become this year!

20190521_125045.jpg20190521_125023.jpg20190520_143414.jpg20190521_125132.jpg
    Last edited by stlkeeper; 05-21-2019 at 03:24 PM.
    The happiness of the bee and the dolphin is to exist.
    For man, it is to know that and wonder at it.-Jacques Cousteau

First swarm of the year today. Brother looked yesterday and no action.
    Trap

Party out here today and the guys setting up the tent did not even know the bees were there.

This is the setting with about 40 or so people milling around though maybe not all there when the swarm showed up.

There are 5 traps on this two hundred acres and the bees picked this trap where there is usually more action from people then the other traps.
    Just goes to show that they are not afraid.
    Cheers
    gww
    Attached Images Attached Images
    zone 5b

I intervened on two swarms in progress here over a week ago on May 17th.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789