Missouri - Page 6
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Missouri

Default Re: Missouri

I bet you were a bit nervous with queens being raised during those 20 degree nights for the last couple weeks. Good to hear the bees pulled it off despite the weather. Congrats.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

First swarm of the season.
    Large SWARM in Ozark Mo. 65721
    About 7' off the ground in a tree all but filed a 10 frame deep.
    5-6 lbs of bees easy.
    Had to scrap them in to a nuc and dump in the 10 frame box.
    We moved them to a local yard.

THE FUN HAS BEGUN.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...2141858&type=3
    Last edited by Hoot Owl Lane Bees; 03-20-2017 at 09:11 PM. Reason: link to photo
    Zone 6b 1400'

Lol. Small swarm, southern butler county. From a nuc I made in attempt to prevent a swarm March 8. She laid the box full and took to the skies. Apparently the change of scenery didn't prevent her from swarming.

If anyone finds her, don't bother bringing her back.

Edit: I'd like to add that I caught her in a swarm last spring. In her stay with me, I got a full colony, a nuc, and 60 pounds of honey.
    Last edited by Bdfarmer555; 03-29-2017 at 05:21 PM.
    Hindsight is 20/10, not 20/20...
    After the fact, I always know what didn't work.

I have been trying to wait till a sunny 70 degree day to get back in my hives, you guys are scaring me. No scouts around my traps that I have seen. Lots of rain hanging around.
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    I have been trying to wait till a sunny 70 degree day to get back in my hives, you guys are scaring me. No scouts around my traps that I have seen. Lots of rain hanging around.
    gww
    My sentiment exactly. But I was walking by a beekeeper's house today...he was in one of his hives. I asked him how his bees are doing. He said (in a half-panic) the hive was full of swarm cells.

But the weather has been kinda crappy and I haven't seen a single bee at my swarm traps yet. So I figured I was safe for a few more days. Hopefully they hold off until I can get into them on Sunday.

5 - 6 lb swarm close to Rogersville Mo. today around 2:00.
    69% and partly cloudy, with rain coming this evening.
    All but on the ground in a forsythia bush.
    I took a drawn frame and pushed it in to the cluster and they started walking/covering it.
    About an hr, later we closed them up and brought them home.
    It started drizzling half way home.
    Zone 6b 1400'

Tiny swarm today in Troy Mo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

arlo
    Looks like you got them to march right in. Cool. Speaking of cool, was the temp around 63 degrees?
    gww
    zone 5b

I was going through 5 hive in the only yard I did not check last weekend.
    1 hive was Queen less. ( received 2 frames w Queen cells)
    The other 4 had lots of Queen cells.
    I made up 4 nucs with 3-4 Q cells each that will get split tomorrow.
    Also had a large swarm on the fence about 20' from the hives that FILLED a nuc box.
    I gave it to the son of the land owner who is getting 3 packages next Saturday.
    We installed them at his yard about 2 hrs later and they love there new home.

This was in Ozark Mo. around 2:30 on 4/7/17
    Last edited by Hoot Owl Lane Bees; 04-07-2017 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Location
    Zone 6b 1400'

Supposed to be 75 degrees tommorrow and 80 sunday. Good excuse to look for mushrooms and swarm traps. Fingers crossed.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    Supposed to be 75 degrees tommorrow and 80 sunday. Good excuse to look for mushrooms and swarm traps. Fingers crossed.
    Cheers
    gww
    There are days (whole months actually) when I envy you southerners! We have a frost warning tonight. SHould be about the last one.

Received a swarm call last night at 6:00 heading out that way this morning hopefully they are still there..

Got lucky and they were still there, about two lbs. Easy catch brought them to the yard.
    4-8-17
    St. Peters Mo.

cool
    gww
    zone 5b

small swarm, Hawk Point, MO
    IMG_0908[1].jpg

Ozark Mo. 911 dispatch called around 1:45 today.
    A swarm was clustered on the front of a house.
    Could not reach my son as he was on the mower about 1 mile from the location.
    My daughter was home so she went.
    She was to late as they had moved on.
    Zone 6b 1400'

Smile Re: Missouri

4/13/2017
    Swarm in cedar by hives. Seen one bee and a wasp fighting at a bait hive entrance and so walked down to my hives. The cedar left of my hives.

This is what I saw.

This is where I put them.

With two shakes already in the box and what I thought was some fanning and flying to the box I wasn't sure because of this.

I shook one more time and when I left the branch seemed empty.

I put a brood frame in the hive that I saw a few open larva on before shaking. I broke a whole comb off and had to tie it in the frame while looking for the brood comb. (over excitement? Ha ha). I am no judge of bees but can say this swarm was bigger then all three put together that I caught last year. I gave them to my mentor cause I like being ahead better then being behind and I might still need to abuse him a tiny bit. He will pick them up at dark. I have no doubt when he moves them that he will ruin the work they do between now and then. I already ruined some cause they were festooning a full frames worth of bees from the inner cover when I replaced the tree combs I had out to hive them. I SURE HOPE THIS DIDN'T COME FROM ONE OF MY HIVES
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Oh what fun gww. I have already added room and given empty frames on the nest edge in a couple of my biggest colonies. Several of them are going strong and I hope to keep them from swarming in the next couple months. Congrats on the catch, unless of course their yours. My bees are right behind you. I have only one trap out, but planned a few more. No time for it lately.

Danial
    I just fliped all the boxes on all but one of my hives and I had got the brood comb from the swarm from it and did not see any QCs. My biggest hive has queen cells, lots of them. However they are still open and you can still see the larva and royal jelly in them. We are going to mess with them sunday or monday and they should be capped. Of course I take some risk of having a swarm from that hive between now and them. The guy that got the swarm said he would be happy if I kept the swarm and he could have some cells. I told him come over and help me with the cells and you can have both. The only other possibility of the swarm is it could have come from the hive I looked at by myself and maby had the queen and virgin in it before it swarmed and that is why I might not have seen any cells. I didn't go through the whole hive and so maby there were some that I am not seeing. I think right now that it came from somewhere else. I am not very smart though. I am second guessing the waiting untill sunday or monday with out moving the queen in the one with queen cells. This guy didn't act like it would be a problim but the more I think about it, I should do something. I might just go with what he says and not worry about it no matter what happens.
    I guess I will not answer anymore on this thread about it cause I think this is more for posting swarms with out too much clutter and my excitement has caused me to break that ideal but I will have to start a differrent thread if I really decide I need help on this.
    Thanks for the support.
    gww
    zone 5b

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast