Missouri - Page 9
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Missouri

Default Re: Missouri

I got to my bee yard area early this morning and was startled to see a good size swarm on the fence 5 yards from the nearest hive. I haven't found out where it would have come from my hives yet, and am 75% sure it didn't, unless I missed a hive in the last inspection. I looked in the couple under suspicion when I thought about which one it could have been.

I took a frame of brood from a colony real close and got them started into the box. I had to hold the box in place for 30 minutes while it rested on a barb wire strand and they marched into the box. Over 2/3 of them are in the box by now.

20180531_073610.jpg

Notice the hive tool bridge to give more traffic lanes.

20180531_073753.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I have been smooshing swarm cells the past week, had a few with jelly in them too, probobly would have had a capped one by now if I hadnt gotten it last week.

You want to increase the size of your apiary (from another post). Why are you smushing queen cells? Make splits with them.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I am wanting to get maximum honey harvest before I split, I figure if I delay them as long as possible then pull supers and split that would be the best balance between more honey and more bees.

As long as you have plan, go for it. Sometimes people cull all the queen cells because that is what they were told to do and they do not realize there are other options.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

yep I did two splits early in the year last year from swarm cells, I just wan't to get more honey this year, all my friends and family are asking me almost every day.

Boxed a buddy's swarm at Smithville, 5/10/19.
    A big part of our family since 1958. Thank you Mr. Langley.

I've been setting traps for three years and finally caught my first swarm! Tiny thing, maybe in there for three or four days. It will be interesting to see what they become this year!

20190521_125045.jpg20190521_125023.jpg20190520_143414.jpg20190521_125132.jpg
    Last edited by stlkeeper; 05-21-2019 at 03:24 PM.
    The happiness of the bee and the dolphin is to exist.
    For man, it is to know that and wonder at it.-Jacques Cousteau

First swarm of the year today. Brother looked yesterday and no action.
    Trap

Party out here today and the guys setting up the tent did not even know the bees were there.

This is the setting with about 40 or so people milling around though maybe not all there when the swarm showed up.

There are 5 traps on this two hundred acres and the bees picked this trap where there is usually more action from people then the other traps.
    Just goes to show that they are not afraid.
    Cheers
    gww
    Attached Images Attached Images
    zone 5b

I intervened on two swarms in progress here over a week ago on May 17th.

Easy swarm on a railing post on a porch. Marionville Mo. 65705
    Held 2 drawn frames against the cluster and placed in a nuc setting on the railing when frames were covered with bees.
    Went back last night and picked them up.
    Zone 6b 1400'

Second swarm from same location in Marionville Mo. 65705 . They moved in to a swarm trap on 4/18/20 and picked them up 4/21/20.
    Also had a small swarm call from local Sheriff's office bees hanging on a tree outside the office doors. No Queen.
    4/22/20 Swarm hanging on a chain link fence. It took us about 3 hours to coax them on to frame's as ti was cool and getting ready to rain again.
    These two were in Forsyth Mo.65653
    Zone 6b 1400'

4/30/20 got a swarm in a pine tree about 7' off the ground. 65616 zip code.
    5/2/20 finely got a chance to do a removal at this same location. When I first went to check it out it was a large hive. But between the weather and access to the building it was almost 3 weeks.20200502_090040.jpg
    My wife said the same thing. (You should have hung up a swarm trap)
    They are home now.
    After the cutout we went and checked swarm traps in that part of our area and had 3 swarms in or on traps with in 1/2 mile of each other.20200502_114103.jpg This one I placed in a 10 frame box I had with me. 65653 zip code. ( I keep a 10 frame and nuc in each car this time of year)
    Till I retrieved every thing it was 9:30 and still 79 degrees.

Am I the only one from Missouri catching swarms?
    Zone 6b 1400'

I had a swarm move into one of my bait hives last week on 4/24 near St. Louis 63074. Got some of it on film. https://youtu.be/4TLPpgdOtRo
    The happiness of the bee and the dolphin is to exist.
    For man, it is to know that and wonder at it.-Jacques Cousteau

I am seeing nothing yet.
    Cheers
    gww
    zip 63091
    zone 5b

Cape Girardeau County, MO (Southeast MO)

Scout activity at three swarm traps and an empty hive yesterday, with the most visited trap taking a swarm right behind the house.
    SwarmTrap#3-04.jpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE4HrQAKN3g

Still had a dozen or two bees at my Trap #2 as of 1900H last night. Just now, #2 is getting about a dozen bees visiting it and #1 is getting a few. No visitors at my empty hive, which is a good thing, as that's where the new swarm in #3 is going!

John

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

I picked up a nice size swarm Just North of Ava MO on 4/30/2020.

It was in a cedar tree about 7ft off ground. I shook it off in a tote box left it till dusk. I then dumped them in a 10 frame deep the next morning, they seem to be doing well.

Happy Home

20200430_173302 (600 x 450).jpg
    Last edited by Happy Home; 05-03-2020 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Add Photo

Quote Originally Posted by JayTee View Post
    Cape Girardeau County, MO (Southeast MO)

Scout activity at three swarm traps and an empty hive yesterday, with the most visited trap taking a swarm right behind the house.
    SwarmTrap#3-04.jpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE4HrQAKN3g

Still had a dozen or two bees at my Trap #2 as of 1900H last night. Just now, #2 is getting about a dozen bees visiting it and #1 is getting a few. No visitors at my empty hive, which is a good thing, as that's where the new swarm in #3 is going!

John
    You're in business now, John. I am happy for you, and may this initial swarm catch be the first of many more!

I will look forward to reading about how your apiary progresses this season.

Again, congratulations!

Russ
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Home View Post
    I picked up a nice size swarm Just North of Ava MO on 4/30/2020.

It was in a cedar tree about 7ft off ground. I shook it off in a tote box left it till dusk. I then dumped them in a 10 frame deep the next morning, they seem to be doing well.

Happy Home

20200430_173302 (600 x 450).jpg
    Way to go, Happy Home- maybe they are some of Dr. Leo's bees .

If I followed your recent posts correctly, you had one of your hives come through the winter in good shape? How are they doing now?

Russ
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    You're in business now, John. I am happy for you, and may this initial swarm catch be the first of many more!

I will look forward to reading about how your apiary progresses this season.

Again, congratulations!

Russ
    Thanks Russ, it was pretty exciting to stand in that cloud of bees descending on the swarm trap! I still have two other swarm traps out that the bees are still checking out, so I have hope for more. Got started on another hive today. Have all the parts ripped and will start assembly tomorrow. Then, I'm going to have to build some more frames!

John

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast