Massachusetts
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Massachusetts

Default Massachusetts

hived one swarm in bloomfield ct today 5-28-08. not sure of zip they had been there since 5-27-08

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

four pound swarm about 8 inches off the ground in hadley, mass

Default First Hive Swarm 7/5/08

This is my first year as keeping bees and half of my hive swarmed about 20 feet up in a tree above their hive Saturday July 5th I'm in Townsend MASS. I managed to attach a bucket to a roof shovel pole via duct tape (love this stuff) and scraped the branch a bunch of times and put the bees into the top hive body with empty frames except two frames in the center. Soon the rest of the straggler bees followed and went back to the hive. Nothing like taking a shower in bees Mind you all this is my first experience with bees. What an experience. Now I need to go into the hive tomorrow and cut out the queen cells to try to encourage these bees to stay.

I don't understand why they swarmed they only filled out 8 frames out of 10 in the bottom deep hive body and they have not begun to fill the top 10 frame deep super . This hive was a 3lb package installed on April 7th 2008.

If anyone has any advice at all please let me know as I said I am new at this and will appreciate all your help and support. Thank You

Eileen Moran

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

June 16, trapped swarm, filled entire 5 frame box trap. Orleans MA 02653

While on vacation my sister watched one of my hives swarm and fly away July 9th.

another hive swarmed today july 15

another hive swarmed today 7/16. Thats the last of em

Weird but true my girls swarmed this morning around 11 am. They flew up real high into a tree and clustered there. I had no way of getting them down so I set up a hive deep with some Honey Bee Healthy and syrup rubbed on the frames and foundation. I'll take a look tomorrow morning and see if they came down to their new home. If not - o well.

Just a newbee with a couple months experience. This has been a weird year huh?

they didn't come down and they have left the tree. so long girls.

Question sealed swarm cells 4/2 - Worcester County, MA (01604)

Not sure if this really qualifies as 'swarm' sighting but the Worcester county bee inspector said that he found 2 capped swarm cells on April 2nd while inspecting a local beek's hive. I believe they pinched the cells as he said that he 'took care of them' and didn't mention splitting. He indicated that this is the earliest he's ever seen them and some packages we shook March 28th have already drawn out 5-6 frames of fresh foundation.

We've been _very_ lucky with some warm weather after the past few week's exceptional rainfall. Other folks have reported that their hives are booming as well.

(my apologies if this is inappropriate in this thread. plz move/delete/ban as needed )

1 swarm on April 30th, and 1 swarm on May 13th. 01453, Leominster, MA

witnessed swarm Rehoboth mass 5-19-10

June 29, 2010. About 9am. Huge - about 2 basketballs in volume. In a tree above the hives. can't reach it - hung a lure box in a tree about a third of the way up. as of 5pm they were still up in the tree.

Strangely a racoon is also up the same tree; sleeping about 10 feet away on the same branch. very odd.

Picked up approx 2lb swarm in Hampton Beach NH Aug 3rd
    All seems well, bring in pollen and nectar, appear to be building on 4 or 5 frames at same time. Am hoepful I can get them throug winter if I feed enough. Just changed them over (from a 1/2 gall mason jar) to a 2 bay Miller feeder with a gallon of syrup in it.

one of my one week old hives swarmed while doing yard work today 5/2/2011 11:00 am in Townsend Ma
    And its too high up for me to get

My hive swarmed on fri 5-13-2011 Fri the 13 LOL swarm went up to a tall pine tree threw a rope with a pipe on the end and hooked the branch shook them down in to a New hive that was waiting for a package. Looks like they are doing well today. Also got notice that package was canceled from aperairy i ordered it from due to weather, so happy that i have bees in that hive now hope they do well.

My package hived April 15th swarmed today June 10th in Beverly, MA. In the 70's with a new superseded queen. They decided to go 50 feet up in a tree so I sadly waved goodbye and wished them well. Not quite what I expected as a first year beekeeper.

My Italians swarmed on 6-4-11. I caught them and put them in an empty hive (with drawn comb) - but they didn't stick around... Waiting for the weather to clear to see if I still have a queen (didn't look good last week...)

Zip=01510 (Clinton, MA - No. Central MA).

Love those free honey bees. I removed a colony of say 50 to 60,000. I hived them and two days latter they swarmed. I went to feedthem and hive is empty. Bummer hate that. I am so careful to check all hives for signs. I guess they just wanted out. If they only knew what i was going to do for them.

Swarm call in Boston (Cambridge, 02139) today - I wasn't able to respond, so I don't know how big it was - they were from the home owners' hive - 5:30pm, off and on drizzly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast