Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Maine

21K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  Barry 
#1 ·
Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Hi All -
I've been combing the threads trying to "watch" the swarming season creep up from the south.
Seems like we're getting close.
As you start seeing swarms in your area perhaps you might reply to this thread so we can track the season?

A simple post of your location, weather, origin of swarm if known, and date would be great.

Thanks in advance!
-Erin

#6 ·
Swarm day in Maine

One swarm zip code 04005 issued and hived 5/25/08
Two swarms zip code 04102 issued and hived 5/25/08
One additional swarm zip code 04102 moved into a house through a blown in inuslation hole on 5/25/08 9:30 am approximately.
Still working on getting them back out.
Also another swarm call on 5/25/08 in South Berwick, Maine but by the time I returned the call another beekeeper was responding and retrieving the swarm.

#9 ·
Kennebunk,ME 04043
The hive that I thought was just replacing their queen decided to swarm today at about 11 am. They landed too high up in a tree for me to reach. We had a severe thunderstorm this afternoon which knocked a few to the ground. I guess they will be spending the night there.

#10 ·
6/26/08 Swarm located at 87 High Street (Downtown Portland) Maine 04101
(too high to catch)

6/26/08 4th swarm caught at Southern Maine Community College in South Portland, Maine 04106 (first three were on 6/20/08 and 6/22/08) These are believed to be feral bees as the campus does not have any managed colonies and the location is isolated from neighbors.

6/22/08 Swarm caught from hobby beekeeper's colony in Brighton area of Portland. Swarm and parent colony removed from site per owners request.

#21 ·
Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

I was running the solar wax melter today, puts the great smell of old brood comb in the air, it brought a swarm right into my yard! They were up 30+ feet so I dropped the top of the tree, it landed with a thud, the bees scattered abit and then came right back.

#24 · (Edited)

We captured a swarm (~5 lbs) from one of our hives last Sunday (4/29/12) in Lewiston ME. Temp maxed out near 60 deg F. It had been rainy for several days and cleared up on Saturday. We performed hive inspections on Sat and couldn't find the queen in the hive that swarmed. Pretty sure she was 10 feet behind us and 14 feet up the whole time.

#25 ·

We captured a swarm (~4-5 lbs) from our second hive yesterday (Sunday: 5/6/12) in Lewiston ME. So both hives swarmed this year. Temp was close to 70 deg F and they swarmed between Noon and 1 PM. This was pretty much a repeat of the swarm last Sunday. Rainy during the week and cleared up on Saturday. Only this time, they gathered on a hemlock branch ~8 feet off the ground. Much easier to deal with! I hope this is it.

#26 ·

The weather was finally good today. I went to my yard located in Dover, NH and found three swarms in the same tree. I had a feeling one hive might swarm but not all three. Good thing I brought nucs with me. I was planning on taking frames to relieve the pressure anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.