Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Maine

21K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  Barry 
#1 ·
Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Hi All -
I've been combing the threads trying to "watch" the swarming season creep up from the south.
Seems like we're getting close.
As you start seeing swarms in your area perhaps you might reply to this thread so we can track the season?

A simple post of your location, weather, origin of swarm if known, and date would be great.

Thanks in advance!
-Erin

#27 ·
Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Got my first swam call ever on 7/9. Palermo, Maine, warm (80 degrees) and sunny.

Very tiny swarm, probably an after swarm. About the size of a tennis ball, but I did get a new queen out of it. Added a couple of frames of bees to them and started a nuc. We will see how it does. Very easy swam to get. They were on a fence post about 4 feet off the ground.

#29 ·

04468 Old Town, ME Found a swarm hanging in a birch tree about 20 feet from my bee yard. Tried to capture it, but it moved to a maple tree about 60 feet up upon being disturbed. I went through all of my hives today, and see no lack of population anywhere...no idea from whence it came.

#30 ·

My new hive from a nuc (20 days ago) swarmed yesterday just before the rain here in Jay, Maine (Near Farmington). They are in my tree and I'm trying to figure out how to get them! They are carni's.

#34 ·

6-6-15 Watched one of my booming Russian hives sawrm off right over my head today in Scarborough ME. They were too quick for me to reel in. Dug into the hive and split out two queen cell frames. Hope they had a third in there somewhere! :)

#36 ·
What is needed:

• zip code, city or county
  • date when the bees swarmed or when you found the swarm.
  • comments - example: if the swarm came from your hive, or if you were called to pick up a swarm, how long was it there. This is not for cutouts unless the bees just took up residence and are not established. It would also be great to include a small photo of the swarm.

This forum is not for general discussion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.