Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Indiana

55K views 123 replies 48 participants last post by  podunk 
#1 ·
My first and only call this season was on 4/30 and I got there in time to watch it fly away :(

#2 ·
Weather: Clear blue skies, Low 80's
Date: Saturday, May 12th
Origin of swarm: My hive. I thought I had gone "by the book" as far as swarm-prevention measures, but, off into the woods they went (avoiding the two empty hives I had sitting nearby, waiting for my packages to arrive).

#17 ·
Swarm May 3, 2009

Zip; 46131, Time; around 1pm edt (about 11am sun time), Source; one of my swarm captures June 10, 2008.
Weather; hazy sun temp uper 60s
This hive has, from the start, seemed to do well (even last year they were as busy or more than a 3 yr. old hive) but I didn't expect them to swarm yet. Recent weather has not been good to check the hives.
leamon

#21 ·
Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

The weaker of my two hives swarmed Saturday 8/1/09. Went to the top of a tree. About a three pound swarm. Attempted to retreive the swarm and ended up with about 1 pound of bees, 1 pound of injured bees, and the other pound went higher up in the tree. I was anxious to try and collect them because it rained about two hours later. Put the bees I collected into a nuc box with some brood and honey from the hive. Will likely need to get a new queen. Didn't expect this in August! It's been a funny year.

#22 ·
Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Saturday 8/8 the stronger of my hives swarms. As bad as last weeks swarm was, this one was picture perfect. Landed in a soft wooded tree about 5 feet off the ground. Cut the limb and droped the majority right into a box. The bees on the ground marched in like little soldiers. If this would have happened in May I'd be thrilled! Luckily we still have another six weeks or so before the weather turns. This swarm was so big that they covered ten deep frames with bees to spare. Have them in my last deep and a nuc on top of that. Ordering more equipment today. Odd year!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.