Illinois - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Illinois

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

My hive in Carpentersville, IL swarmed on 6/15/2015.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

My may 1st package that pulled a double deep and started on a super made a practice swarm today so I did a teranov split and cobbled together another box and some frames and set the board they were clustered on in front of the new hive, watched the queen march in - central il

Default Illinois

What is needed:

• zip code, city or county
    • date when the bees swarmed or when you found the swarm.
    • comments - example: if the swarm came from your hive, or if you were called to pick up a swarm, how long was it there. This is not for cutouts unless the bees just took up residence and are not established. It would also be great to include a small photo of the swarm.

This forum is not for general discussion.
    Regards, Barry

Default Re: Illinois

Massac County, 62960, 4/12/16, 4:30 PM, Neighbor's hive swarmed into crabapple tree about 10 feet up. Trimmed tree and shook swarm into 10 frame deep.

Massac County, IL, 62960, 4/16/16, 11:00am. 72 with Sunshine and clear skies. Called to swarm location, had been there for two days. Attached to golf practice net about 2 feet above ground level. Very easy capture. Brought them home.

Caught my first swarm today! Too bad it was from my own hive. Swarm season definitely caught me about 2 weeks early. Total newbie here. It landed on my shootong bench about 30 yards from the hives. Didn't see it land, but it wasn't there an hour earlier. Got it put into a 10 frame deep. Saw the queen so hopefully they stay. 20160418_185525.jpg

Macoupin County, IL. 4/18/16

Two swarms calls tonight 1 at 7pm and 1 at 7:05. One was basketball sized and hanging 4' off the ground in a lilac bush. The second one was on a cross brace in a fence about the same size as the first. Sunny and 68 degrees today McDonough county 61420.
    Jordan Ruebush
    Ruebush Apiary

5/3 Baylis, IL (North of Pittsfield) Medium Size Swarm in afternoon. 20' from originating hive.

Small swarm a little bigger than a softball in a 9' arbor vitae. Sunny and 65 McDonough county 61455.
    Jordan Ruebush
    Ruebush Apiary

Two swarm captures today, Adams County IL, West Central IL. Temps in upper 70's light breeze, sunny. One located on a Pre-School playground piece of equipment. Second on cedar tree branch 5 ft. off ground, 10 feet from mother hive in the tree trunk. Tree estimated to be 120 YO. These were more than 20 miles from one another. Had another swarm call for Hannibal Missouri. Sent that to a local keeper in that area.

20160506_164905-sm.jpg This is the swarm in the Cedar tree. It doesn't get much easier than this one.

5/12/16 Nice little swarm, SE Montgomery Co.
    Been cool and raining off and on for several days, with a few warm days mixed in.
    -David Zone 6a

Small swarm hanging on the outside of one of my nucs when I got home this evening. They had just gotten rained on in a small shower before I got there. Strange, the bees were still in the nuc and the swarm looked like they were trying to get into the vent on the hivetop feeder. I'd guess 1-1/2 lbs. of bees. I didn't see the queen, but they weren't happy about being wet so I brushed them into an empty nuc and left it there for the straglers. The ones on the ground marched on in. Will check on them later tonight. I don’t think it is from my hives as we split them all last weekend except one I couldn't find the queen in, but I guess it is possible that one swarmed. Zip code 62069.

Default Big back-yard swarm

About an hour ago I was watching a certain hive that I know is crowded. The orienting bees were trying to get into the upper entrance where they're balling up and falling down. Been going on a couple days like that. I look again and holy cow they're rolling out the lower entrance like a waterfall.
    The sky was full of bees. So the wife and I are looking way up in the tall gum and black locust trees.

Got lucky and they started settling in the next door neighbors overgrown fence line. Easy catch about three feet off the ground.
    Seven pounds of bees with a really good queen. (I weighed the box and bees)
    (one of mine) Was hoping to catch a swarm or two to re-stock my top bar hives that died over the winter. One more to go and it's just the beginning of swarm season.
    Last edited by aunt betty; 05-13-2017 at 03:15 PM.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

Default Re: Big back-yard swarm

Caught the second swarm of the year this afternoon.
    Was an easy catch. Pine branch.
    As I was hiving the swarm I saw the queen in the pile-o-bees. She's one of them glow in the dark ones with a blonde-yellow booty. Was looking at her going "I WANT DAT!" and she flew up onto my finger...then flew off. I was cussing then.

Went home and cooled off. I just know there's no way that queen will fly back into that hive but I left the lid open a crack just in case.
    Grrr.

Went back about a half-hour later, looked and there she was on the bottom of the cover. I'd rather be lucky than good.

Moral: Use a spray bottle with some syrup in it to wet down the bees before you dump the swarm-box. I knew that but had to learn the lesson again.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

Got two swarms in swarm traps. According to the landowner, the traps were empty last week. I suspect a bit earlier, because they are full of comb and packed with honey.
    Northern Illinois, Ogle County, 61010

How many supers do you have on your hives and what part of the state are you in.Also when do you start extracting?

caught a swarm on 7-9-17,shook in 5 frame box and left on tailgate to get cool drink . Must have been to hot in box they left .saw what I believed to be them 2 hour later flying in a mass and they came back to property to land 50 feet high ,they stayed a day then I saw them stirring and down to ground and I set hive in front and captured them and some cool footage

caught 1 on 7-12-17 another 1 on 7-13-17 two different hives these are 10 &11 so far I'm running out of equipment ,the other swarms I've caught are building so fast "double deeps almost filled on new frames " I over wintered 3 hives and pulled 4 splits . I've exceeded my expectations of this hobby .This is my 7th year and had a few bad ones "learning curve "

Our local bee club was reporting the first swarm of the season on April 11. I heard of a swarm on April 20, but the landowner had already called another beek. I caught a swarm of my own yesterday, April 21 and put it in a TBH. They're clustered around the entrance, and I'm expecting them to abscond once the weather clears (rainy today and tomorrow).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast